All reviews indoor pool potatoes wine tasting oatmeal electric fireplace dvd player fresh fruit flat screen sliding door hot tub a great place to stay mid week free breakfast wine country room rate santa barbara in town
Reviewed April 16, 2008

A recently remodeled motel at the entry way to Solvang, the Hadsten House is successfully trying to fill the niche between the numerous cheap but raggidy motel/hotels and the true botique hotels in the area. As with many motels in the area, being on the main drag into town, road noise was noticeable during the day but quieted down significantly at night. The new vinyl windows are a big help here. As other reviewers have indicted, the exteriors, landscaping and rooms look more like new model homes (small couch and table, plantation shutters, wide screen TV, fire place, small fridge, granite counter tops, crown molding, great beds and linens, etc.) than motel rooms. Plentiful extra thick towels, coffee maker, hair drier, French soaps and hair products, loofa and real water glasses in the bathroom were nice touches. Although we did not partake of the pool, jacuzzi or spa they looked very clean and well appointed with nice towels, furniture and fire places (some potted plants in the pool and jacuzzi area would be nice). The staff were all very attentive and helpful. The breakfast is off-site about 2 blocks away but the continental breakfast (coffee, juice, cheese and pastries) from Olsens Bakery were very good and the walk was a pleasant way to wake up. The afternoon wine service and restaurant are OK but still works in progress. If the owners continue to listen to thier patrons comments and improve the property as they have in the last year or so, they are easily going to have (if the don't already) the best value motel in Solvang.

Date of stay: April 2008
1  Thank pinacoleggo
Reviewed April 10, 2008

Read and read again the reviews on TripAdvisor. I never read that this property didn't have center hallways. I think garden style properties are motels. I was disappointed but that was my only true disappointment.
I booked a package which included the room, massages for two, a wine sample, and breakfast.
The decor is beautiful. It's an obvious remodel but they did a great job. Loved the fireplace in the room as well as the shutters.
The spa had just opened and although obviously in rooms that had been made in to a spa, it was beautiful. The side-by-side massage was excellent. My husband and I had never experienced this. The atmosphere was perfect and the therapists were attentive.
The wine tasting was a little cheesy and unnecessary. We also received an appetizer sample which was about 2 ounces of lobster bisque. It was tasty but luke warm. The glass of wine was good. The bar/dining area is very intimate. We asked to see the menu out of curiousity. It seemed limited and pricey so we were glad we were not eating there.
After eating dinner, we returned and visited the hot tub. Very nice, clean and lots of atmosphere with fireplaces on either side of the enclosed patio. Would have liked to have a drink machine nearby-the ice and drink machines are too far away from the pool area and the rooms.
We enjoyed the clean room. Even the linens were fresh.
I am a light sleeper so the light that came through the closed shutters bothered me as did traffic noise and the early morning trash truck-5:30AM.

Breakfast is not on site. They give vouchers to Olsen's Bakery which is within walking distance. We enjoyed the Danish Breakfast.

I will definitely recommend this property but will make sure I tell people that it is motel-style building.

Date of stay: April 2008
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Our stay at the Hadsten House was fantastic! It's been newly remodeled and the decorating is elegant yet comfortable. The colors and styles are pleasing and the complimentary soaps & lotions are L' Occtane en Provence! Our room was truly the equivalent of a 5 star hotel, yet reasonably priced. Our dinner was superb! The appetizer of brie hidden in a puff pastry with a rich raspberry sauce was plentiful and delicious. The halibut was fresh, moist and beautifully presented, as was the salmon salad.

I highly recommend the Hadsten House. My husband and I are comparing our calendars as we anxiously look forward to our next stay there.

Mickey Herrell

Date of stay: March 2008
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Not only were the rooms clean, fresh and cozy, but the location couldn't be better. You can walk from this hotel to all that Solvang has to offer, and since much of that is wine-related, that makes a huge difference. We walked to breakfast in the morning, to the shops, etc. There's even a little market nextdoor. Both of our rooms had fireplaces (they're the kind that turn on with a switch, not truly wood-burning, but still, very charming), and the l'Occitane products in the bathrooms are a lovely touch. The restaurant was also beautiful, with food so good that we ate there both nights. The jacuzzi is huge... Overall, I'd highly recommend it.

Date of stay: March 2008
1  Thank Eversincethen
Reviewed February 28, 2008

We stayed there for a weekend getaway and have been to the area before. We love the winetasting and the relaxation factor of the area.

The room was nicely appointed and put together and felt very clean which is a huge plus in my book. We enjoyed our stay here.

The only issue we did have was the restaurant/bar. We stopped in both nights of our stay. The first night for a night cap...which was fine. The second night however ,we stopped in for our appetizer and glass of wine. The service was horrible. We were seated right away...but literally sat for 20 minutes before even getting a glass of water. Folks came in way after us and were served drinks. When we finally did get a glass of water it took an additional 20 minutes or so to get our free appetizer which was supposed to be some kind of crab cake..it ended up to be tuna salad (cold) on some kind of cracker...really poor. I didn't even eat mine.

It's really not a nice restaurant...it's more set up as one big open room with tables...it's very much like a bar...and the people next to us ordered dinners that looked one step above Coco's type food. The servers are not on top of their stuff...they are disorganized and rushed.

We will definitely return and will try the free glass of wine and appetizer again...I hope it was just an off night for them.

Date of stay: February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)