“Best in Solvang!!”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Newport Beach, CA
“Best in Solvang!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2008

although it does have a motel style exterior, the remodel is beautiful! We have stayed in Solvang many times before and both my husband and I agree that we will never stay anywhere else. The rooms are beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable - has the feeling of a 5 star hotel! You will not be dissapointed.

• Liked — beautiful rooms!
  • Disliked — motel style exterior
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank NinaTS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Redondo Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2008

From the time you step in the front door you know this is some place special. The rooms were terrific, the people very helpful and polite and the restaurant was 5 star. I am looking forward to our next stay.

Stayed January 2008
Signal Hill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2008

If you are going to the beautiful region of Santa Ynez, there is no other place to stay! I scoped out this property a little on the internet before booking, and expected a nice, clean and comfortable property. Hadsten House not only wildly exceeded my expectations, but I felt compelled to tell the world about this special place. From the moment I walked through the guest lobby, I felt like I was in a five star hotel. The front desk crew were fantastic! I mentioned to the front desk, my partner and I were in town to do some winetasting, and mentioned wineries we were planning on visiting. They not only immediately offered several wine coupons, they gave excellent directions and were professional, gracious and ultra friendly. Now for the room...WOW!!! If I didn't already have activities planned for that day, I would have been content to spend my day luxuriating in that phenomenal room. We opted for the room with the jacuzzi tub...so worth it after a day of winetasting...two flat screen tvs...top notch complimentary toiletries...recessed lighting...the list goes on. When I initially booked the room they were offering a dinner package. They just opened their dining room, and are trying to spread the word. Well....I'm here to spread the word....GO! I had the halibut...melt in your mouth tender and flavorful, my partner had the filet mignon. She allowed me a little taste as it was almost too good to share...probably the best piece of meat I have ever eaten! The sausage stuffed portobello mushrooms appetizers sent me to the moon. I have to make special mention of Thomas....the bartender and server. He took excellent care of us, and his personal and attentive service confirmed my certain return to this restaurant for future dining.
They are opening a full service spa soon, so I'm hoping the room rates don't increase due to the addition. After my little taste of world class service and luxury at Hadsten House, staying anyplace else in town just will not do!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zengoddess
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2008

We went to Hadsten House for a birthday weekend. We had never visited Solvang before but what a wonderful stay. I highly recommend the Hadsten House. The rooms are beautiful, the location is perfect, the staff is friendly and I will stay there many more times. You can't beat the price for the quality of these rooms. We usually retreat to Spindrift Inn in Monterey, CA but feel we have found an equally charming room for half the price and half the drive. Don't leave without trying the Hadsten burger, to die for!!! The only thing I would change about the rooms is that they offer bottled water.

• Liked — charming room
  • Disliked — no room service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Hadsten House for one night in December 2007. We found the hotel through a quick search on TripAdvisor, but we contacted the hotel directly to secure the reservation.

The hotel has new owners and they have remodeled the entire facility in the past year (it used to be the Vagabond Inn). They have done a wonderful job with the decor in the rooms, lobby and restaurant, and they have a new pool and outdoor jacuzzi. They are also finishing up adding a spa as well as conference rooms.

Our room was on the 2nd floor (#237). It had a very comfortable king bed, a nice leather chair w/ottoman, flat screen TV, very large armoire, and an environmentally safe fireplace (fake, but looked good and put out heat). The bathroom was spacious (separate rooms for sink and shower/toilet), and L'Occitane toiletries were provided. The dark wood floors in the bathroom were a nice touch as were the entire overall color scheme, pictures, bed spread, etc. When you arrive at the hotel you wouldn't imagine that the rooms would be as nice as they are, but it is a definite treat when you walk in.

The staff was very nice, and whenever we needed anything they were quick to respond (we asked for iron/ironing board, laundry bags - which we later realized were already in the room, additional hangars). They also provided information about Solvang, and, on the day of check-out they let us keep some of our goodies behind the front desk while we shopped more before leaving.

The indoor pool was at a comfortable temperature and the outdoor jacuzzi (w/2 fireplaces) was great. The towels that were provided were comfy and absorbent. The only thing that was missing at the time was lounge chairs/patio furniture (possibly because it was December, or because they had just resurfaced the pool area).

We loved this hotel overall and would definitely stay there again and/or recommend it to other travelers. We talked to the manager, and he said that some of the older reviews on TripAdvisor were carried over from when the hotel was the Vagabond Inn, so they don't really apply given the new ownership and remodel. He is right.

Our cons: We would have preferred to stay in a room further back in the complex to reduce a bit of the highway noise. Also, it was very cold in the room when we arrived, and the main heater is located in the bathroom which results in the slow heating of the main room. Robes in the room would have been nice too, and there was no room safe.

Finally, as an incentive to attract new travelers, they were offering a free appetizer, glass of wine and dinner. Not sure how long this will last though as more and more people discover this wonderful hotel.

• Liked — Great value and quality
  • Disliked — There are still a few minor kinks to work out since the remodel
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

Before making this trip, I consulted with TripAdvisor and felt as though this hotel sounded like a good stay .... but instead, it was an excellent selection. The previous negative comments earlier dealt with construction noises, lack of restaurant and closed pool (way earlier comment). However, now the pool is open - very nice, indoor and heated, majority of the construction is complete - a little noise, but I should be out of bed a 10 a.m. anyhow, and the restaurant is now open. The only amenity that is not currently functional is the day spa - and according to them, it will be complete in a month. Of course the exterior is still designed like a motel - u-shaped and all doors open outside instead of a corridor, but the interior of the rooms are GREAT. Very comfortable rooms, all amenities in the room are of excellent quality, the LCD TV is a great size ... nothing to complain about. They are adding 'extras' on the exterior such as waterfall units, small vineyard, etc. to make the exterior more pleasing. The food at the restaurant is INCREDIBLE. Give the aged beef hamburger with 'everything' a try - goat cheese, sautéed onion, mushrooms and peppers, avocado, etc. It's very big and melts in your mouth. I can't wait to go back when the spa is open - only by then they will probably have changed their star rating from a three star to a four ... and there may be a much heftier price tag at that time.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Motel shaped unit
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

We were warmly greeted by everyone at check-in. The check-in process was quick and we were provided with complimentary breakfast coupons and a glass of wine for each day of our stay. The room was extremely clean and was stocked with large and luxurious towels, a full supply of shampoo, conditioner, etc. The room had a small refrigerator, flat panel tv, with a DVD player. There was a large couch and coffee table, which was very comfortable. They are in the process of refurbishing the entire complex but we were not inconvenienced in any way by the renovation which is now limited to the landscaping and a few conference rooms that are almost complete. The complex has a very nice indoor pool and an large, outdoor spa that was not listed in the information about the facility. Everyone working there was very pleasant and helpful. The only unfavorable comments that I would have about our stay is that it would have been nice to have an ironing board and iron in the room so we didn't have to call the office to have one delivered and, while the rooms were very quiet for the most part, the upstairs shower was a lot louder than I thought it should be. I would highly recommend the Hadsten House and will stay there in the future.

• Liked — Clean and newly remodeled - felt like a brand-new complex.
  • Disliked — Would have liked and iron and ironing board in the room
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Hadsten House? Share your experiences!