I was prompted to write this review after reading a few of the negative reviews on this site. Let me say that I love the Alisal, and would hate to miss our yearly visit. The huge ranch and lake are spectacularly beautiful, and that along with the outstanding service is what makes this place so special. It is true, there are no phones in the rooms, cell phone reception is spotty, you are somewhat isolated, particularly in the "golf row" accommodations we prefer, and the staff does pamper the heck out of you - so where's the problem?? They run the Alisal like an old money, east coast, all inclusive resort where people come to get away and enjoy nature and the people they are traveling with. Family, children, good friends - whatever. The emphasis is on privacy and leisure activity.
Every year my husband and i meet our good friends at the Alisal for a very special weekend. We started going in June, but switched to February because golf, tennis and group rides are included in the room rate (Round Up package). Breakfasts have always been spectacular at the Alisal, and dinners vary depending on the chief, and management on hand that year. Never has the dinner been terrible, some years it has been like a good quality steak house, so I would concede that the dinner menu is not their strongest offering. However, we love having our designated table, only one seating per meal, and our special server who welcomes us back at every meal and makes us feel as though they are there only to serve us! Their wine list is very good, and they do have a sommelier who will discuss their outstanding Santa Barbara county wine selections.
Alisal isn't modern, the room decor is dated, and the bathrooms don't have the latest treatments, but it is very well maintained, clean, and very well done in a classic manner. I hope the critics for whom this destination doesn't suit just stay away, because I wouldn't change my Alisal for anything.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort is located in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley and renowned Santa Barbara County wine country. Privately owned and operated since 1946, the Alisal is a working cattle ranch and full-service resort. This historic ranch is one of four original Spanish land grants on the west coast given to conquistador Raimundo Carrillo in the late 1700’s. Today, the romance and majesty of the old west remain in the wide-open spaces and unspoiled natural beauty of the Alisal. They serve as a reminder of simpler times and as an invitation to those with a taste for adventure. As California's premier guest ranch, the Alisal transports guests back to a bygone era. Set on a 10,000-acre working cattle ranch, this one-of-a-kind resort blends the best of nature with exceptional golf, horseback riding, tennis, fishing on a 100-acre private lake, fitness center and spa, children's activities, barnyard activities and fine dining. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alisal Guest Ranch And Resort
- Alisal Guest Ranch Hotel Solvang
- Alisal Hotel Solvang
- Alisal Resort Solvang
- Alisal Ranch Solvang
- The Alisal Guest Ranch