As other reviewers have noted, Alisal is a family place, with multi-generational families that come back year after year. My husband and I were first introduced to Alisal in the early 1980s, when we were in grad school, by such a family (the parents had basically been coming there since the place opened). Lucky us, we were their guests! Time moved on and when our daughter was age 8-18, we came to the Alisal every Labor Day and spent time with that family and other families that come every Labor Day-- always felt like a fun, big group reunion! After our 10 or so years of Labor Day at Alisal, we had to take a 3 year break, because our college age daughter's schedule didn't work for time off for Labor Day. But she's now graduated! And the Ranch called with an opening and we booked it! We are sooo excited to return! We want to continue going every year, we love it!
I wanted to post, given some of the snarky comments I read from people who clearly just don't "get" what the Alisal is. For those people, please, by all means just go to a Four Seasons. Yes, the Alisal is rustic, hence its charm, and I think people lose sight of the fact that the room rate includes a wonderful breakfast and dinner. I admit its still pricey, but to us-- priceless!
P.S. We owned horses for 12 years (in our back 40) and rode and jumped (English), and the Alisal trail rides and the wranglers are great! We came once early for the Wednesday rodeo--great fun!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort is located in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley and renowned Santa Barbara County wine country. Privately owned and operated since 1946, the Alisal is a working cattle ranch and full-service resort. This historic ranch is one of four original Spanish land grants on the west coast given to conquistador Raimundo Carrillo in the late 1700’s. Today, the romance and majesty of the old west remain in the wide-open spaces and unspoiled natural beauty of the Alisal. They serve as a reminder of simpler times and as an invitation to those with a taste for adventure. As California's premier guest ranch, the Alisal transports guests back to a bygone era. Set on a 10,000-acre working cattle ranch, this one-of-a-kind resort blends the best of nature with exceptional golf, horseback riding, tennis, fishing on a 100-acre private lake, fitness center and spa, children's activities, barnyard activities and fine dining. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alisal Guest Ranch Hotel Solvang
- Alisal Guest Ranch And Resort
- Alisal Hotel Solvang
- Alisal Resort Solvang
- Alisal Ranch Solvang
- The Alisal Guest Ranch