“Right in the middle of town”
Review of King Frederik Inn

King Frederik Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Costa Mesa, California, USA
“Right in the middle of town”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The check in time isn't until 3pm which is kind of late but the room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very nice and very clean. The towels are very nice and think. The beds were way too soft and not very comfortable for me. The location is the best. They have a microwave and a refrigerator in the room too but the refrige was loud. I turned it off and it was silent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The rooms are basic but surprisingly comfortable, with comfortable beds and aircon, and the location is without question the best in town. Free wifi provided on request, which puts it ahead of some much fancier establishments. Very good value for money and highly recommended.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Carpinteria, California
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We just spent a few nights there...
Bed was ok but not great
Rooms looked old and could use some updating
Only one towel when we checked in
No shampoo and/or conditioner...
There are lots of places to stay in Solvang, will stay somewhere else next time...

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vtacarguy
Lochcarron, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Variety of hotel options in Solvang, this one is convenient for walking all around the town as it's so central. We had two identical rooms next to each other, the pictures and review relate to 121.

Spacious room with work area, good wired internet and separate bathroom, we didn't get the wi-fi operational on any of 3 devices between the two rooms. The accommodation block is across the parking area from the main building and pool, with parking in front of your own door with direct access from the parking area.

Breakfast is good and self service in a small room by reception, be prepared to take it on the supplied trays to your room as space there is very limited.

Staff were very polite and efficient on arrival and departure, I would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Castro Valley, California
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

It seemed like every time I turned around there was my hotel. It was great. My wife and I made many purchases while in Solvang for five days, and it was so easy to drop off our stuff in room before going out again for more. All our restaurants were within easy walking distance except for the two in Santa Maria, Shaw's Steakhouse and Sizzlingogi.
Our second trip to Solvang was during the off season. It was marvelous to have no crowds, and we were lucky with good weather. The pool at the hotel was great. Few people around. The hotel was close to empty I think.
The hotel was neat and clean for the most part. I was disappointed that the carpeted stairway in the common area between floors one and two were filthy during 5 days we were there. Never vacuumed! But the room was cleaned nicely every day thanks to "Juana". The room was very quiet, Rm. 206 overlooking the pool. I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony. The bed was very comfortable. We took an upstairs room based on the many reviewers commenting about the King Frederik Inn before us. Though we were traveling during the off season we do appreciate their advice about picking out a quiet room.
I can not comment on the continental breakfast offered by the hotel. We never made it. The previous reviewers made Paula's and the Belgian Cafe sound so good we couldn't wait to get there. And they were so right!
I hate to end on a negative comment about the King Frederik Inn, but I do think noteworthy and good for a chuckle. You know, I read through so many reviews about this hotel I thought it strange that no one mentioned this. Maybe guests thought this would be off color to talk about, or perhaps no guest encountered this to be a problem. But I sure did! Well, this is it.
On my first encounter with the bathroom I looked down and thought to myself, "what a small toilet seat". Anyway, I sat down. Gosh, I was right. It was sure difficult trying maneuver around doing what you needed to get done on such a small seat. I am not known for having a big butt, but I am sure sorry for those who do.
Strange, but my wife complained too, but for a different reason. She said the toilet was too low to the floor?
Well, that's it. I think price wise the King Frederik Inn is a very nice hotel centrally located in the town of Solvang.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hesperia, California
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are newly redone. Street noise is pretty loud. Hubby says the toilets are way too small for a man, I didn't have a problem. The free breakfast consisted of bread, pastries, coffee and juice. Hubby needed more so we had to buy breakfast out.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel for my birthday. This is a great little hotel in the heart of Solvang. Décor is very basic but you can't beat the location. The room was very clean and the bed was very nice. The room was large and came with its own balcony with a view of the pool. The best part was the breakfast. They served the best danish pastry that I have had in a long time and the coffee was very good as well. I am from Denmark and I can tell you the pastries were awesome! We are getting ready to go back to Solvang tomorrow and guess where we are staying? You guessed it! The King Fredrik Inn!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple