“Great location!”
Review of Hamlet Inn

Hamlet Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed February 25, 2014

First I have to say that I loved Solvang! The Hamlet Inn is right in the middle of town, right across the street from the Solvang Brewing Company (which has great beer!). The staff at the Hamlet was very friendly and gave us helpful tips about wine tasting and microbreweries. They even microwaved our leftovers from the night before at the front desk when we asked them to (obviously, there is no microwave in the room).

The room was average. It was a bit dull - all white walls, one bed, a small bathroom, a TV, and a small refrigerator. That's it. But, honestly, unless you're staying a while, what else do you need? The bed was comfortable, the water was HOT in the shower, and the refrigerator kept the wine and beer nice and cool. Everything is starting to look a bit dated in these rooms (i.e. the grout could use a little cleaning in the bathroom), but overall I would say I enjoyed my stay at the Hamlet Inn.

Let me just say again that Solvang was awesome! Such a cute town.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JAGSeward

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is a simple, little L-shaped motel with drive-up parking in front. There's no pool or hot tub. A hot tub would have been nice. The room had stark white walls with IKEA type furniture and feel, in keeping with the Danish flavor of the town. There was a small fridge. Shower and no tub.
We had two queen beds and paid only $99 for a single night stay. One night is plenty for a visit to the town because it is small. It seems that every time we go to Solvang there are fewer boutiques and more wineries. But there's still plenty to keep you entertained for a day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Renery
Reviewed January 3, 2014

There's not much to choose from in Solvang but this was a quaint little place. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was small and could use a little upgrading. Location is great and I loved that they had bikes that you can borrow to cruise around town. Oddly, although the room was quite spacious with a king size bed, there were no drawers? There was a small closet but plenty of room to put a set of drawers or even small dresser. Oh and the walls are very THIN, you can hear everything.

The person who checked us in was extremely nice but english wasn't his first language so asking him for directions or suggestions may be challenging. But they were all very nice, cordial. Check-in/out was very easy.

I realize this could have been considered a holiday weekend when we were there, but definitely overpriced for the value. But again, not much to choose from in the area and they know they can gouge you on the rate.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2013

For the price, this place is a steal. I loved the minimalist decor - especially the wool Danish flag throw on the bed and the Edison bulb bedside lights (but the staff should consider dusting these off more often as they are right at eye level). Two of my fave things were that all the lights were on dimmer switches - I don't like harsh, bright light so being able to control this was heaven - and also the large shower with uber hot water. Best shower me and my beau have had in a long time. The bed was very comfy and I got a great night's sleep. The iPhone/iPod docking station allows you to charge your phone and play your own music at the same time. Two luggage racks were provided in lieu of a dresser, which is fine with me. I don't like putting my things in a dresser where I can forget them anyway. The inn is across the street from the Solvang Brewing Company, which has 12 beers brewed on-site. After a few, we just had to make it across the street to our room. We stayed in Room #6. I didn't experience any of the noise problems other reviewers have mentioned. We travel from Monterey to LA often, and I think this will be the place where we break our trip each time. Honestly, I don't understand any of the negative reviews about this place and I'm so glad I went with my instinct. The day after our stay I'd already recommended it to two of my friends. If you like hip, cool renovated motels with great rates, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Room #6 was spacious and quiet. As previously mentioned, the shower was very large.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dulce_pequeno
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Room is clean, simple if not spartan. King bed was comfortable but the not much support on the sides so watch out, it's easy to slip/roll off the edge.

Location was great. Easy walking to anywhere in town.

It was hot outside, so the Room AC was running full time. Loud but not too bad.

Room window faced the main street. A bit noisy but it quieted down by midnight.

A few ants were driven in by the heat and sought out the water in the bathroom. Nothing major but I did get a surprise bite from one.

Over all not a bad night's stay and I would stay there again.

The comment about furnished by IKEA is spot on.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This quaint hotel was great! Very fast check-in, they even offered us a 'discount card' for about 20 local wineries that offer either free or 2-for-1 wine tastings! Bear in mind, there are only about 15 rooms total, so don't wait too long to book.

Would definitely come back here next time!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chasewhitney
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The only minor complaint was not having a king size bed available since we are use to one at home and had the same problem in our recent stay in Germany...but on the positive side:
1. very convent access to walk to any place we wanted to see in Solvang...
2. really appreciated the courtesy shown by the front desk, especially the willingness to obtain our boarding passes for our flight back to Texas...
3. room and grounds very clean
4. enjoyed a bottle of wine in the evening sitting in the gazebo...
5. nice big shower
Would be glad to recommend a stay at the Hamlet to anyone....,.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple