“Really?”

Cuisines: Danish, Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I only had the ebleskiver to go so I can't really comment on the atmosphere and overall service but the taste alone.

What I can say is....really? What is all the hype about it?

The donut didn't have any special texture nor taste. The raspberry jam couldn't be more ordinary. Many deep fried pastries can easily beat the ebleskiver I had.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This restaurant does not deserve a visit. My wife and I have lived in Sweden and Denmark, so we know a little about Scandinavian food, and this place ain't it. Smorgasbord was sad, so we passed on that. My wife ordered a lamb shank which was flooded with the same gravy that they put on the meatballs! I ordered the meatballs, which were barely mediocre. Wine list was non-existent-they offered 1 red and 1 white. We ordered a bottle of the cabernet, and while it was drinkable, it was just barely. I was stunned when the bill came and saw a price for this no-name wine of $28!! My sister-in-law from Sweden ordered salmon, which was way overcooked, and her veggies were way underdone! Definitely a below-average restaurant.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Met some friends for a Saturday get together. It was a little crowded, there were eight of us, but we only had a short wait. It was my first visit to the Red Viking, neat place. Food is good and reasonable. I had to try the Æbleskivers (hey, it's a round pancake), they were pretty good. Overall a good place to stop if you are in Solvang.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stopped at the visitor's center and they recommended the Red Viking for variety and the Bit O' Denmark for atmosphere.

I was interested in variety so I went to the Red Viking.

The Smorgasbord was pretty typical with filler items. but the pickled herring was delicious, the pates were tasty and meatballs were a bit on the salty side.

I'm glad I went and overall was satisfied with the food and variety, but was very disappointed that the aableskiver was sauced with a raspberry concoction with overtones of cherry cough syrup. What happen to Lingonberries?

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very good pea with ham soup and great signature desert. Good service, feels like local dinner. You can get desert only from the window outside as well.

Been to Red Viking Restaurant? Share your experiences!