“Try the aebleskivers”

Solvang Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 69 Restaurants in Solvang
Cuisines: American, European, Scandinavian, Danish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Try the aebleskivers”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We went at breakfast time on a Saturday morning and it was packed by 9:00AM. Service was quick, but don't expect special attention with this crowd. The aebleskivers are good here and a must try in Solvang. A casual diner feel inside and family friendly. There is a pick up window in the front if you want the aebleskivers without the crowd.

1 Thank Swimjojo

• Thai first
Lake Forest, California
“It was "Okay."”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Solvang is a quaint little town, so we decided "when in Rome," why not have some Danish food? We popped inside around 3pm and we were seated immediately. I would describe the interior of the restaurant as "an average experience." Not much there visually to feast your eyes on. Some other reviewer described it as "soulless" and I would tend to agree. It seemed like a elongated, Danish cafeteria. Oh well, on to the food.

We ordered the Danish combination plate, which incorporated a Danish sausage, a Danish meatball, some veggies and some red Danish cabbage, which in my opinion, was the most flavorful item on the plate.

I asked myself "Is THIS authentic Danish food? Was it as simple and bland in old world Denmark also?" Don't get me wrong. The food wasn't bad, it was just plain. Not a lot of flavor to speak of. (The following day, I met a Danish fellow at Roblar winery who sold us his turkey sausage. Now THAT sausage was amazing and was far more flavorful!) So the jury is out on the food there.

For dessert, we ate the legendary Aebleskivers, which were basically tennis ball-shaped pancakes covered in powdered sugar and raspberry preserves. They were not memorable, but the very tasty preserves, nonetheless. Skip them and go to Mortensen's bakery for dessert; their Danish pastries are so good they will curl your toes!

Last time in town, I went to the Red Viking next door, and it was exactly the same experience as Solvang restaurant. A bit of a tourist trap for the money. Having our curiosity satiated, I don't think we'll go back to these restaurants.

All in all, it was a filling meal, the Elephant beer was good, but that's about it. Not a bad experience, but forgotten quickly.

1 Thank Chris92630
Shafter, CA
“Different - but good”
Reviewed March 30, 2010

My daughter and I had lunch at the Solvang Restaurant in March. We shared the sausage platter: 4 different kinds of sausage, mashed potatoes & gravy, red cabbage, and sauerkraut for $15.00. Combination was odd to our american palates but we wanted to experience Danish cuisine. You don't go to Denmark to eat american food :) Service was quick but a little impersonal, and our beverage glasses were refilled without asking.

1 Thank tropicaladdict
Colorado
“Not worth it.”
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We went here, figuring we should at least have abelskivar in Solvang. They took a long time to arrive, during which time the waitresses never refilled our coffee, even though the place was practically empty. And we got to observe how they rolled their eyes at tourists behind their backs. Rude. Coffee tasted like hot dish water anyway. Abelskivar were fresh and hot. Good if you like things like heavy, sweet jelly doughnuts.

1 Thank wearygypsy
Porter Ranch
“Service was terrible....staff rude!”
Reviewed January 18, 2010

My husband and I visited this restaurant in November, 2009 and the staff were rude and unattentive. I tried to ask questions about the ebelskivers and received frosty replies. Food ok but atmosphere sucked. I never want to return.

Been to Solvang Restaurant? Share your experiences!