“Should of tried the burgers!”

Chomp Burgers Fries and Shakes
Ranked #19 of 71 Restaurants in Solvang
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Not that ez finding a place to eat walking distance from our hotel in solvang where they close up town around 6p, I tried the Mac and cheese and found it dry. Place had nice atmosphere, pleasant service, saw many people getting the burgers which looked good but I was burgered out and needed something different. Maybe shoulda got 1 more burger. Enjoyed beer on tap though, but even that woulda been better with the burger

There are newer reviews for Chomp Burgers Fries and Shakes

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to like this place. As a local I was excited to learn that a new restaurant had opened in Solvang. I noticed Chomp when I was driving thru town one evening and I later read the article in the local paper. My husband and I made a point to visit for a late lunch on a Friday afternoon.

The inside is like a 50's diner. It is appealing and comfortable. They are trying too hard with the dictionary rendering of the definition of 'Chomp.' Your interior is very nice, don't try so hard. Try harder on the food and your waitstaff. We were welcomed warmly with a "Hello, just two of you?" I always find that greeting odd when I go out to eat - "JUST one", "JUST two." We were seated and it took almost 10-minutes for our waitress to come and greet us.

Yes, they were busy but I saw a few employees gathered at the front but none came by to offer us drinks or check on us. By the time the waitress came to our table we were ready and she took our complete order. The waitress was very nice and friendly enough. She came by halfway through our meal to ask how we were doing and to refill our drinks. I had water and it was tepid with barely any ice. I was happy when she came by for a refill; however she brought my glass back with no ice. A refreshing glass of water with ice would be so nice and how about a slice of lemon? Yes I could ask, but why do I have to?

While the food is not terribly expensive, we found it annoying that our $9-plus sandwiches did not include fries. All the menu selections come a 'la carte. A side of fries is $2 and a basket is $4. Note: I have read that since our visit the fries are now included.

My husband ordered a mushroom burger and I got the chicken pesto sandwich on ciabatta bread. We shared a side of french fries. We both were lukewarm about our meals. His burger was okay, the fries were okay. The burger came with a side of coleslaw that my husband did enjoy. He also liked the hamburger bun. My sandwich was sad. The chicken was dry and crusty at the edges. I ate the chicken and half of the bread separately and not as a sandwich. It was easier that way. Our meal was average. It's always a disappointment when I leave a restaurant feeling that I could have done better at home.

The wait staff was nice, but they are all very young and inexperienced. I suppose this is on-the-job training. They have to start somewhere and it is nice that the owners give the local high school kids jobs. However, this does not seem fair to the customers. It would be better have a mix of experienced and new waitstaff. The owner of this location owns another restaurant in town. Both locations employ young, inexperienced waitstaff.

We like to patronize local businesses. We will give the place another try again.

1  Thank BadGoat
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Everything was really good. Don't order with your eyes like my family did looking over the menu. There will be a lot of food when your meal comes. Also, not a fan of chocolate shakes but this place has a great one. The place had an old time classic feel which is great for the family.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Seemed clean, modern. Servers were accommodating, helpful. Added sides (in this case, avocado & bacon (hey, were on vacation...) were not overpriced. The "sauce" and shredded lettuce reminded me of Bob's Big Boy. Tasty.
But the burger itself seemed as if it were pre-formed elsewhere, frozen, and unwrapped "fresh" for our consumption.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Reading the menu is very exciting! Everything sounds good! However, I think the food quite ordinary. The fries were hot & ordinary....probably frozen....with no special seasoning. My turkey burger was tasty but quite frankly the Carl's Jr. Turkey burger AND fries are more to my liking. (& I am not a fast food junky...). The wait staff was great. The atmosphere fun! The food very ordinary!

1  Thank Seapjm