“Good, For What It Is: A SMALL Museum of HCA in A Bookstore”

Hans Christian Andersen Museum
Ranked #13 of 59 things to do in Solvang
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a SMALL town with small buildings and this FREE SMALL MUSEUM is worth a stop instead of constant shopping or eating in Solvang. Yes, it is small and limited, BUT it IS a little something about Danish history and culture and Hans Christian Andersen. If you expect more than it is, then you will be disappointed. SO, Know that this is a FREE small little museum in and above a great old bookstore (which bookstores are dinosaurs on their own, so it's a double trip in history). Enjoy it for what it is and you'll not waste your time. A little more knowledge is always good!

All reviews
"spend hours"
"nice collection"
"worth a stop"

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Note that this isn't a fancy, large museum with every little detail about HCA in it. It occupies the very top floor in the Book Loft and serves as a bit more of a dedication to HCA. Either way, it is still a lovely little museum tucked into the book store. If you are in Solvang, stop by for a visit.

1  Thank Leafshadow
Reviewed November 10, 2013

It's a small museum mainly in one room above and part of a book shop. There's a fairly limited number of items on display, but will appeal mainly to those with an particular interest in Hans Christian Andersen. On the same level is a good variety of used books for sale on all subjects, whilst downstairs on the ground floor new books for sale. It's really more of a book shop than museum, the museum is only likely to amuse a a devotee of the subject for less than an hour. It's perhaps worth a visit, but check out the book store too.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I actually found this museum on another travel site, and thought it would be a good place to experience a bit of Danish culture, so we popped in. The place looks more like a kindergarten, than a museum. It was basically a bunch of books scattered everywhere, and little kids reading them. I thought it would be a little more organized. They did have some other cool stuff though, including, a bust and portrait of Hans, a replica of his Odense home, translated books, and tools for making wooden shoes, similar to those used by Andersen's father, who was a shoe maker. There were also some replicas of things from his life. I was mainly interested in the shoe making tools, first addition volumes, and house replica, which turned out to be just an inaccurate miniature. It wasn't very well organized though. I couldn't tell if some of the stuff was just decoration, or part of the exhibit. We only spent about 10 minutes in this museum. I would've stayed longer, and looked at the books, but my dad didn't find this museum as interesting as I did, and he made us leave.
There are better museums in town to explore Danish culture, but this one was free, and didn't take up too much time. Plus Hans is an important figure in Danish culture, so I thought, why not? It's a good place to come if you have little kids, but if you are an adult, it will bore you, though I actually enjoyed it, and found it interesting, and one of a kind. I liked how you could actually read the books.
I would only come here though if you're looking to explore Danish culture, and want to save some money, or if you've seen everything else, and have extra time to kill. I am only saying this, because I know most people would not make a special trip to this museum, but I am not most people.
If anything, you can come for the cafe, and a bookstore, located downstairs.
If they charged a fee, I would probably give it a lower rating, but for the quality and contents, free is fair.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Since we were in Solvang, we went by the Hans Christian Andersen Museum. It is above a book store. I like this author and his work, but this museum didn't do him very much credit. There were a few interesting tidbits of information, but it wouldn't be worth a special trip...or any entrance fee (fortunately, it's free). The displays were outdated--newer stuff just taped to the wall. If you're a HCA fan, you can buy any of his books there. We were in and out of there in less than 15 minutes.

1  Thank Rollin_along_Mom