“Pleasant”

Royal Copenhagen Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Solvang B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel is in a very central location and easy walk to everything Solvang has to offer. Parking is next to the room which is great if you have lots of luggage! The day I checked in was the day of the Boston Marathon bombing so everyone was a little distracted!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Staff was very friendly. Everything was clean and tidy. The location was great within walking distance from most of the popular areas. I did have someone below me that was having a very intense conversation.....so the walls are pretty thin, woke me from a dead sleep at 11:30pm. Grumpily asked them to take their conversations somewhere else and they did. My stay was during the memorial weekend and it was pretty quite stay besides the one incident.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here for just an overnight trip because I was running the Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon, and only needed it for the night prior to the run. Most of the other hotels were sold out, so I am glad that we found this hotel. When we checked in, we asked for a room on the second floor, so we wouldn't have people walking above us. The person at the front desk was happy to oblige. The room was average, with 2 queen beds and a large sized bathroom. It is nice having a fridge in the room. There is also a coffee maker - and not the kind that only makes one cup, which is nice. The beds were comfortable. I know they probably upped the nightly rate because of the run, because the average rate is a lot less than we paid. However, it is centrally located. Everything is within walking distance. I would consider this hotel again if in the area. And it is pet friendly, which would be great for us, as we have dogs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I started this weekend in a chain hotel, but decided to extend my stay in the area an additional night. My original hotel was fully booked for the extra night, so I set on a quest to find suitable lodging. Due to location and time of year, there were not a lot of choices - especially if I wanted to stay in comfort. I actually looked at rooms at a couple of other locations and walked away (they just weren't acceptable for the pricetag). When I arrived at Royal Copenhagen, I was tired and basically decided I would just stay there even if the room was a little substandard. What a pleasant surprise!! The room was spacious and clean, and the bed was heavenly! I was a little concerned that the neighbors were all sitting outside talking and might choose to spend half of the night drinking, etc., but all were either respectful and went inside at a decent hour - or that bed wasn't going to let me miss out on any sleep!

Helpful, friendly staff both at check-in and check-out, and the location is very convenient to restaurants, shops, etc. downtown. Rooms have mini-fridge, wi-fi, desk-table, dressing area, large restroom, and plenty of space to get around. I noticed they also have a giant chess set on the grounds! The Dutch influence is enchanting...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank litlmissy65
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Royal Copenhagen Inn puts you right in downtown Solvang. We have stayed twice in one of their second floor pet rooms, and have enjoyed it both times. The room was clean and well-stocked: mini-fridge, flatscreen cable television, adequate wi-fi service, large bathroom and shower, and a small table/desk perfect for work or breakfast/lunch for two people. They have a fun little pool with a patio, lounge chairs, patio table, and lawn for dogs and kids. Continental breakfast is what you'd expect. But the best feature is the "hidden garden" in the back, a gated yard where you can take your dog to run about and "do its business." Price is fair, and considering the access you have to downtown Solvang--tasting rooms, restaurants, book stores, and the park up the road--a great value. If you have a dog, this is the place to stay. Currently they only have a half dozen or so "pet rooms," so make sure you reserve in advance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank morganrd13
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have been to Solvang many times and love the entire Santa Ynez Valley. This trip was to attend the annual Vintners Festival which was held at the Mission. We chose the Royal Copenhagen because of their reasonable weekend rate and the convenient location which is walking distance to literally everything in town. We stayed there two nights.

The decor of the exterior of the complex is very quaint and appealing. The room is pretty basic. I would say that it's only a small step above Motel 6 because of the dated decor and furnishings, but they did have an iron/ironing board, a hair dryer, a small fridge and a coffee maker, none of which are found at a Motel 6. There is also a safe which we wanted to use, but it was locked and the maintenance person was unable to open it. There's also a nice pool and a decent continental breakfast (no hot items other than toast and coffee).

We were unlucky in that there was a large group of loud and obnoxious partiers in rooms all around us, but when we called the front desk for assistance at 12:15am, we got a recording. We were told the next morning that we should have called the police, but I'm not sure we felt that would have been appropriate.

Pros: Friendly staff, clean, perfect location, good value.

Cons: Mattresses are terrible, needs an electrical outlet by the vanity, no management on premises after 11pm until 8am.

We would stay again because of price/location. We're hoping they'll have new mattresses by our next visit!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie J
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We enjoyed our one night stay at the Royal Copenhagen Inn. The room was large, clean, a bit outdated, but that wasn't really a surprise. The front desk was pleasant and accomodating. The location is great. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family