“Barely Adequate but Quaint”

Solvang Inn and Cottages
Ranked #6 of 7 Solvang B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2007

Great location in cute town! But don't be expecting much more than that. This is a cute old property which has been maintained well, but only offers bare essentials. Unfortunately, our room was very noisey for sleeping, right on the main street. That being said, it was easy to find and easy walking distance to shops and restaurants.

I only choose hotels with a pool and complimentary breakfast. This pool was cute but small. This breakfast was very skimpy but was at the delightful Olsen's Danish Bakery, across the street. (You end up paying more there and getting something delicious instead of the free hard roll!)

I won't stay here again because there are many other hotels to choose from in Solvang which I think would offer more for your money.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank momziekins

Reviewed July 14, 2007

What a great place to stay while in Solvang. My husband and I came here without a reservation and they gave us a room no problem. What a
huge room. Vaulted celings windows all around and a huge king sized bed and quite not a sound or a noise. It was so peaceful.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I stayed at the Solvang Inn on a Thursday, not having made any reservations, but they had several rooms available. I had walked by this motel last year and thought it would be a good location for me, central to wine tasting rooms in Solvang, Los Olivos and the Santa Rita Hills. They also had a nice pool/ jacuzzi area that gets lots of sun all year round.
I got a single with a queen bed (rm.106) for $79 total (AAA discount). They were giving out small bags of cookies from the bakery across the street that were yummy, as well as vouchers for continental breakfast across the street at Olsen's.

I parked my car right in front of my room like a regular motel but on a weekend I bet it could get pretty crowded in their small lot.
The room was just a basic, no-frills motel room. Most motels in the area are in need of updating and this one was no exception. The photograph was taken from directly at the door. Small, taken up mostly by the bed, though there is a small table and chairs on the right. The bed was fine, a few holes in the old cover but it was clean and like I've said, normal for the area. The bathroom was spartan and my biggest complaint was that they did not have a hair drier. I found that to be very out of the ordinary for these motels, as even the cheapest ones will have a built in hair drier.
The room also had a broken dead bolt, which I couldn't turn, which meant I had to prop a chair under the handle at bedtime, not trusting just the door knob lock. The window has drapes but a transparent drape that lets in light is only over the bottom half of the window, so any tall person could peek in.
They cable tv was fine with lots of channels, there was hum from the a/c next door, but since I slept with my fan on I didn't have any noise issues. Traffic on the highway usually dies after 9 pm on weekdays.
The pool area was easy to access and while not warm, who needs heated pools in 80 degree summers?
In the morning I didn't bother with the voucher at Olsen's and instead ate at Paula's Pancake House next door. They had great Danish waffles, which I recommend! There can be a wait, so you know it's good!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Orion_240
Reviewed March 20, 2007

The room was spotless. I stayed in room 9. The bathroom was clean, and I checked all the corners because of other reviews. The staff was ok. Not very outgoing or welcoming though. No problems with checking in or out. Wish there was a coffee machine in the room. Location was excellent. Shops and restaurants near by. The casino was just a few miles up the road. I had a good stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed February 2, 2007

We stayed at the solvang inn, in one of the family suites which is in the front of the property. It was 187 a night with taxes and it was a very old room. The furnishings looked like they were from the early 1970s and the bed was one of the worst that I have ever slept in, you could roll right off of it, it was so soft and lumpy. The family suites are very basic, one side has a king bed a teeny tiny tv and a bathroom in the middle and the other side has two queen beds with a little bit larger of a TV. The TV on the king side had poor reception so we had to watch the TV on the other half of the room which was pretty good. The biggest turn off for me was the noise. All night long cars went up and down mission blvd, presumably going to the casino up the street. It never stopped. I don't think I slept a wink so if you are a light sleeper, avoid these two rooms at all costs. They sit directly on the street. I have heard that the rooms in the back of the motel are quieter but still, the whole place left much to be desired. I definately would find other accomodations if I ever go back to solvang.

1  Thank makeup-face
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We got the bait and switch. I was comparing prices by phone and the Solvang Inn receptionist told me it would be $79 with the AAA discount. I wrote it down and confirmed when I booked it, but when we arrived we were charged something like $87 (plus tax).

Two employees refused to address the problem. They both said that $79 was not one of their rates so we couldn't have been quoted that price. Eight bucks is not enough to make a stink about but it's enough to feel cheated.

Otherwise, our stay was nice. The room was fine and we had no other problems.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sweetgeorgiabrown
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I chose this inn because one guidebook I read described it as "cozy and friendly." Solvang Inn and Cottages was neither. It was a dump with grumpy staff.

We chose a room with two bedrooms with a bath between them. Nothing in any of the rooms had been updated in years -- my husband and I were taking bets on the age of the television, and we figure it was at least 30 years old. That was still probably younger than most of the other furnishings in the room, including one positively filthy chair in the corner.

The bathroom had been updated...at one point some number of years ago...but it was gross. There was scum in the grout around the tub, and the stopper and drain in the sink was a ring of rust. The sink faucet had a huge chunk of the chrome missing. Everything was tarnished, dusty, or mouldy. The only good thing about the bathroom was that it had clearly been updated in some era before conservation and low-flow showerheads: the stream nearly knocked me over!

Overall, I hated being in that room.

The pool was advertised as heated. It was not. Brrrrrr. And there was stuff floating around on top.

The breakfast at Olsen's across the street was fresh and tasty, admittedly, but inadequate. We'd gotten used to all-you-can-eat continental buffets at all the hotels we stayed at on our trip, and the limit of one small pastry seemed unnecessarily skimpy. We ended up having to purchase some additonal food.

I don't know where else there is to stay in Solvang, but whatever it is, it's got to be better than this place.

• Stayed: July 2006