“What a dump!”

Solvang Inn and Cottages
Ranked #6 of 7 Solvang B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I chose this inn because one guidebook I read described it as "cozy and friendly." Solvang Inn and Cottages was neither. It was a dump with grumpy staff.

We chose a room with two bedrooms with a bath between them. Nothing in any of the rooms had been updated in years -- my husband and I were taking bets on the age of the television, and we figure it was at least 30 years old. That was still probably younger than most of the other furnishings in the room, including one positively filthy chair in the corner.

The bathroom had been updated...at one point some number of years ago...but it was gross. There was scum in the grout around the tub, and the stopper and drain in the sink was a ring of rust. The sink faucet had a huge chunk of the chrome missing. Everything was tarnished, dusty, or mouldy. The only good thing about the bathroom was that it had clearly been updated in some era before conservation and low-flow showerheads: the stream nearly knocked me over!

Overall, I hated being in that room.

The pool was advertised as heated. It was not. Brrrrrr. And there was stuff floating around on top.

The breakfast at Olsen's across the street was fresh and tasty, admittedly, but inadequate. We'd gotten used to all-you-can-eat continental buffets at all the hotels we stayed at on our trip, and the limit of one small pastry seemed unnecessarily skimpy. We ended up having to purchase some additonal food.

I don't know where else there is to stay in Solvang, but whatever it is, it's got to be better than this place.

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank Eohippus

Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed June 26, 2006

The Solvang Inn is a definite no fuss accommodations. Very basic and meets the standard needs. We stayed in the family suite consisting of two rooms. Although roomy it seriously needs some major cleaning like the bath tub for instance. You can see the dirt streaks down the tub and I was scared to walk on the carpet without my shoes. I was lucky enough not to have the sloping lopsided bed which my friend kept sliding to one side throughout the night. I would stay here again only at a last ditch resort and even then, I would probably prefer a place outside of the city limits even if that does mean some extra driving.

• Stayed: June 2006
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 13, 2006

We stayed there during the Thanksgiving Break, it was the only place with rooms available. The staff was very rude and never gave us free breakfast like they promised. The room was OK but the heating was bad. I would not recommend this place just because of the unfriendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2005
Los Osos, CA
Reviewed November 6, 2005

Friendy staff.
Clean comfortable rooms.
Good value.
We received free a real
continental breakfast in a real
Danish bakery.
We will return.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Stayed here for one night on travels down Highway 1 and found Solvang charming! The Inn was a fair price (and you received a bag of cookies at check in!) and the room was very nice, perhaps a little old but perfectly clean. We appreciated having air con as it was a very hot day, and we enjoyed a dip in the pool (not sure it was heated as advertised, but a great way to refresh yourself!). It is in a great location to explore Solvang and we never got the car out once we checked in (advisable if you want to check out the many wine tasting rooms in Solvang!). You get a voucher for breakfast at the Olsen bakery just over the road, and I have never been offered so many different kinds of Danish!
All in all, we had a good night's rest and appreciated being away from the main road, a lot of other motels in Solvang seem to have the rooms to the front which can be a little noisy!

• Stayed: September 2005
13  Thank Surf-Chick
Reviewed September 12, 2005

Stayed here for my birthday weekend and when woke up found the bathroom plumbing to be backed up - this seemed to be a problem for the entire small, older building of rooms (there is another larger building of rooms across the way - and some even fancier rooms a couple of blocks away). I was disappointed that the management did not comp me in some type of way, as we had to walk down to the public restrooms early in the morning. We did enjoy the swimming pool (hot tub, swimming pool and a small waterfall pool for my little one). I still have not decided if I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank mbmom
Garden Grove, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2005

Decent hotel, especiially for the price. Great location and the staff was friendly. Received danish cookies upon arrival. Room was clean but the hotel could use some remodeling. I probably would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2005