“Solvang Inn & Cottages, Convenient, Clean, Friendly Staff”

Solvang Inn and Cottages
Ranked #6 of 7 Solvang B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2008

We always stay at the Solvang Inn & Cottages. We've been staying there for over 10 years and have never had a problem with anyone being unfriendly. We find the staff to be very helpful.
The motel has two story and one story units, so anyone handicapped can stay at this motel. The cottages are very nice.
There is a small pool and hot tub. Parking for the one story units is a little congested on a weekend. The motel is located close to restaurants and the local bus stops in front of the motel, plus the Chumash Indian Casino Shuttle stops at the motel, too. For the price of the rooms, I don't think anyone would find a better deal in Solvang. I would, highly, recommend the Solvang Inn & Cottages.

Stayed: May 2007

Reviewed November 10, 2007

I have mixed feelings about this Inn.

On the one hand it was quaint and charming. The hotel and cabins are rustic in decor. The room we were in had a wonderful, HUGE bath tub big enough for my 6'3 inch husband to soak in. It had a wonderful fireplace too.

But it turned out we needed the fireplace - this room was COLD! It also had no modern amenities to speak of. The hotel room itself was cut off from the lobby (there really wasn't one) you had to go outside down rickety slippery steps to get to the hotel office if you wanted anything. Winter in California often means rain and the rain collected on the steps. I had to step gingerly down the steps and it was cold as soon as you stepped out your door. The walkways back there were also DARK!

So although it was a very romantic room with the tub and fireplace (the bed was just so-so, not very comfy) and high ceiling too if I recall - it was also a little cold, dark and a little spooky.

We ended up changing to another hotel. It was kind of a shame but if you are spending a lot of time in your room and you like in room movies, internet etc., this hotel did not have it. It may have it today since this was 3 yrs ago. Call first.

They do offer cottages though, stand alone cottages with kitchenettes. So if you have a big group or family for whom keeping entertained is not a problem this may be a great place for you. Location wise, it is below the shops and so forth a bit. But still in walking distance. This is the type of place you either love or leave.

• Stayed: December 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 31, 2007

Great location in cute town! But don't be expecting much more than that. This is a cute old property which has been maintained well, but only offers bare essentials. Unfortunately, our room was very noisey for sleeping, right on the main street. That being said, it was easy to find and easy walking distance to shops and restaurants.

I only choose hotels with a pool and complimentary breakfast. This pool was cute but small. This breakfast was very skimpy but was at the delightful Olsen's Danish Bakery, across the street. (You end up paying more there and getting something delicious instead of the free hard roll!)

I won't stay here again because there are many other hotels to choose from in Solvang which I think would offer more for your money.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank momziekins
Reviewed July 14, 2007

What a great place to stay while in Solvang. My husband and I came here without a reservation and they gave us a room no problem. What a
huge room. Vaulted celings windows all around and a huge king sized bed and quite not a sound or a noise. It was so peaceful.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I stayed at the Solvang Inn on a Thursday, not having made any reservations, but they had several rooms available. I had walked by this motel last year and thought it would be a good location for me, central to wine tasting rooms in Solvang, Los Olivos and the Santa Rita Hills. They also had a nice pool/ jacuzzi area that gets lots of sun all year round.
I got a single with a queen bed (rm.106) for $79 total (AAA discount). They were giving out small bags of cookies from the bakery across the street that were yummy, as well as vouchers for continental breakfast across the street at Olsen's.

I parked my car right in front of my room like a regular motel but on a weekend I bet it could get pretty crowded in their small lot.
The room was just a basic, no-frills motel room. Most motels in the area are in need of updating and this one was no exception. The photograph was taken from directly at the door. Small, taken up mostly by the bed, though there is a small table and chairs on the right. The bed was fine, a few holes in the old cover but it was clean and like I've said, normal for the area. The bathroom was spartan and my biggest complaint was that they did not have a hair drier. I found that to be very out of the ordinary for these motels, as even the cheapest ones will have a built in hair drier.
The room also had a broken dead bolt, which I couldn't turn, which meant I had to prop a chair under the handle at bedtime, not trusting just the door knob lock. The window has drapes but a transparent drape that lets in light is only over the bottom half of the window, so any tall person could peek in.
They cable tv was fine with lots of channels, there was hum from the a/c next door, but since I slept with my fan on I didn't have any noise issues. Traffic on the highway usually dies after 9 pm on weekdays.
The pool area was easy to access and while not warm, who needs heated pools in 80 degree summers?
In the morning I didn't bother with the voucher at Olsen's and instead ate at Paula's Pancake House next door. They had great Danish waffles, which I recommend! There can be a wait, so you know it's good!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Orion_240
Reviewed March 20, 2007

The room was spotless. I stayed in room 9. The bathroom was clean, and I checked all the corners because of other reviews. The staff was ok. Not very outgoing or welcoming though. No problems with checking in or out. Wish there was a coffee machine in the room. Location was excellent. Shops and restaurants near by. The casino was just a few miles up the road. I had a good stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed February 2, 2007

We stayed at the solvang inn, in one of the family suites which is in the front of the property. It was 187 a night with taxes and it was a very old room. The furnishings looked like they were from the early 1970s and the bed was one of the worst that I have ever slept in, you could roll right off of it, it was so soft and lumpy. The family suites are very basic, one side has a king bed a teeny tiny tv and a bathroom in the middle and the other side has two queen beds with a little bit larger of a TV. The TV on the king side had poor reception so we had to watch the TV on the other half of the room which was pretty good. The biggest turn off for me was the noise. All night long cars went up and down mission blvd, presumably going to the casino up the street. It never stopped. I don't think I slept a wink so if you are a light sleeper, avoid these two rooms at all costs. They sit directly on the street. I have heard that the rooms in the back of the motel are quieter but still, the whole place left much to be desired. I definately would find other accomodations if I ever go back to solvang.

1  Thank makeup-face