“Anything but succulent”

Cuisines: American, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Place
Description: Succulent Cafe is in the heart of downtown Solvang, Ca. Our Daily Menu serves breakfast & lunch items and our dinner menu serves up comfort cuisine with a twist! We're open everyday but Tuesday. Lots of bacon, housemade soups & dressings, desserts, and wonderful local wine & craft beer. Many ingredients are seasonal and locally-sourced when possible. From eggs benedict to sandwiches to our signature 3 Little Pigs, come see what we're all about!
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Anything but succulent”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Dry sandwiches, bad bread, bad service, a long wait, poor seating, noisy outdoor area; don't bother with this place.

• Visited June 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pricey for the portions”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

First the good: this is a lovely cafe with nice red cloth napkins, a clean plant filled patio with umbrellas and heaters for after the sun goes down, and nice tableware. The wait-staff was great, friendly, helpful, and welcoming. They cleverly served bite-size biscuits and strawberry jam in paper lined terra-cotta pots. Unfortunately, the biscuits themselves were not so good. There was no lightness or the flakiness that fresh homemade biscuits have. The strawberry jelly was runny and the amount provided was not generous enough.

I ordered the meatloaf and my companion ordered the buttermilk fried chicken. My plate came with mashed potatoes, diagonally cut carrots and green peas. The meatloaf was swimming in the potatoes that were runny and too wet, almost dripping through my fork. There was one piece of fried bacon cut in half and placed on top for presentation that was quite tasty. The peas and carrots were fresh and cook just right. I wished there had been more instead of the runny potatoes. The meatloaf tasted ok, it had a weird consistency that made me think I was NOT eating meat, but not weird enough to dislike totally. The portion was on the small side and I only ate half because the texture finally got to me. My friend's plate had boiled greens and Mac-n-cheese that I tried and both were good. She asked for dark meat and received a leg and thigh, nicely breaded and fried, accompanied with a mustard sauce. She said it was okay.

I think what was difficult for both of us to swallow was the price in relation to what we received. Twenty-two and twenty-four dollars, respectively seems quite high for a small disc of meatloaf and two pieces of chicken. I understand that an all "organic" menu must have a higher cost to prepare, but it is not worth it to me.

• Visited June 2014
Keller, Texas
“Delicious”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Attention from staff and great food! My wife and I shared a salad and pasta dinner. Yum. Even though we came in 15 minutes before closing, the staff smiled and was happy to serve us.

Visited May 2014
Ojai, California
“Great food for lunch”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Dropped by on a busy holiday weekend, and had one of the best grilled cheese and turkey sandwiches ever. Reasonable prices for lunch. Paid for a side Pasta salad and disappointed because it was only about 2 forkfuls worth. It was good though too small of a portion to be charging extra.

Nice outdoor seating, tables not too close together, so you could have a private conversation.

• Visited May 2014
Rialto, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Was Charlottes Pig Succulent?”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Walked down the street from my hotel looking for a place to eat. Saw this little place with outside dining that said Succulent Cafe. Looked fun and so I brought my wife and daughter. IT'S NOT A CAFE. My goodness,, it's a five star restaraunt with great wines. I didn't have a reservation. PLEASE ,get a reservation. It's so much easier. But they were accomadating and seated us at the bar. How fortuitous because our sever was very friendly and helpful. The meal was wonderful. My daughter recently graduated culinary school and quickly realized how wonderful it was that we happened there. The desserts were a pecial exclamation point to that wonderful dinner. We look forward to going back, this time with our resevations . Five smiles.

• Visited May 2014