“Comfort food”
Review of Succulent Cafe

Succulent Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Succulent Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 69 Restaurants in Solvang
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Place
Description: Succulent Cafe is in the heart of downtown Solvang, Ca. Our Daily Menu serves breakfast & lunch items and our dinner menu serves up comfort cuisine with a twist! We're open everyday but Tuesday. Lots of bacon, housemade soups & dressings, desserts, and wonderful local wine & craft beer. Many ingredients are seasonal and locally-sourced when possible. From eggs benedict to sandwiches to our signature 3 Little Pigs, come see what we're all about!
Trego, Montana
“Comfort food”
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Stopped for dessert and wished I was hungry for dinner. Local ingredients with a flare for decadent flavor profiles that leave you wishing that this restaurant was in your hometown.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Placentia, California
“Very good food!”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We had appetizers at the bar and they were so good we ended up have a full dinner here. The service we outstanding from Lori at the bar and the food ingredients was top quality and prepared with much understanding of food.

• Visited May 2014
West Hollywood, California
“Upscale comfort food!”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

A must stop if you are in Solvang. I am pretty sure you will need a reservation. We lucked into a spot at the bar but probably only because it was a Monday night. It's our favorite place to sit anyway so we were super happy. The place was packed! The tiny biscuits and strawberry jam that the bartender brought us were heavenly.

I had the BBQ meatloaf and fell in love. I never like anyones meatloaf but gave it a try due to the amazing reviews before me. It was probably the best meal that we had on our 7 day adventure.

They have some nice local brews on tap!

• Visited May 2014
San Diego, California
“Contemporary southern food”
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Great Contemporary southern cooking ...the charcuterie plate was amazing with home made pickles and great meats. The pork belly was amazing. Great local wine selection as well. Servers seems to genuinely like serving you

Visited May 2014
Fremont, California
“Almost There”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I arrived a few minutes before they opened at 8:30 am and asked if it would be alright to wait in their outdoor seating area. They agreed and even allowed me a menu to peruse while I waited. After about 10 minutes I asked if they could turn on the outdoor heater, but it wasn't possible because it was broken and there seemed to only be one available. I noticed the doors didn't open at 8:30, or 8:32 or 8:35, so I went to the door and discovered that they were already open and the same young woman who was aware I was waiting was behind the register ready to take my order. I feel they could have poked their head out to let me know they were opening. It was clearly my first time there given the questions I was asking prior to going inside.

This is the type of restaurant that is partially self-serve. You place your order at the register and then take a seat. If they prefer to seat people, I'm unaware, she let me choose any table. They have all of the condiments, utensils plus water and coffee in a central location so that customers can get their own. The ketchup bottle (and I don't recall if there was only one - that seems doubtful) had only enough left for me. I had to ask for a water cup as well.

But here is why they get four stars: If you're a "regular" and know the rules, well, things go much more smoothly I presume. But the four-star rating is for their food. It is OFF THE HOOK good! I have NEVER and I do mean never, had poached eggs done so perfectly. I've tried many, they're my favorite style. None of this business of serving them in a small bowl with a little too much water. Oh no! They were nearly perfectly shaped, the egg white was cooked so that it still had substance and the yolk - oh my goodness. So, they KNOW their eggs are good because there is an egg and potatoes breakfast. I didn't read much beyond that and hadn't realized it is served with the most amazing biscuit I've ever tasted. Wow! It was warm and no microwave warm either and served with what could only be a homemade strawberry and possibly orange preserve. Oh, SO delicious.

Everything on the menu sounded wonderful and if my breakfast was any indication of other items on their menu, you cannot go wrong by visiting Succulent. Plus I feel it's like a secret - two locals didn't realize Succulent serves breakfast. How is that even possible?

Had I been there one more day I would have also tried them for wine - it looks like it could be a very fun place. Give them a try - I trust you will not be disappointed...unless you just don't like excellent breakfast.

Oh, their prices I thought were fair. Not an everyday kind of breakfast place, however, definitely a 'while I'm on vacation' breakfast place.

• Visited April 2014