“Is EVERYTHING this big with the Danish???”

Solvang Brewing Company
Ranked #4 of 72 Restaurants in Solvang
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“Is EVERYTHING this big with the Danish???”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Okay, fellow Trippers, in my previous review of our one night stay at the Inn at Petersen Village in the lovely little town of Solvang, CA, I mentioned that the wife & I had eaten at the Solvang Brewing Company... here's the nitty-gritty: we ate there TWICE!!!
I had commented upon the 14-inch Danish hot dog that took us both approximately 11 hours to finish but I didn't mention that we returned the next day to sample their freshly baked pretzels accompanied by a beer-based fondue. HELLO, arterie clogger from Heaven!!!! Solvang is SO lucky it's a 3 hour drive from my house... otherwise, the local ambulance company would go public and be the best investment one could consider! And for those of you who partake of the libations, you HAVE to try the Vahalla I.P.A..

Visited October 2011
1 Thank JungleBoyJohnny

Boulder, Colorado
“Sports bar atmosphere with delicious menu choices”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

My friend and I ate here during a World Series game and enjoyed the fun atmosphere of a sports bar/brewery. The menu options were quite good and I enjoyed a delicious black bean veggie burger with portobello mushroom on top. The salad my friend ordered was also fresh and crisp and not overdressed. In addition to their beer choices we found a decent wine list focusing on the local wines.

• Visited October 2011
Boulder, Colorado
“Beer not so great but food surprisingly good.”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I expected this to be a typical brewpub - good beer, mediocre food. Turned out to be the other way around. Their IPA beer was awful, their Pale Ale slightly better. Food was excellent however. We had chicken wings, sliders (three different types) and French Fries. It was all very good. It seemed to be the only lively place in town and they had a band that was fun to watch.

• Visited October 2011
San Francisco, California
“Good Food”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

The fish and chips are excellent. The beer is also very good. The atmosphere was a bit noisy. There were a lot of people watching a college football game on several TV sets and it was crowded and noisy, and our service was slow, but our server was very nice and apologetic. I'd give it another shot...

Visited October 2011
Solvang, CA
“Fun times in the Danish Capital of America”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

First off let me say that I live in Solvang. This town has had its fair share of changes and businesses coming and going over the past several years. The Solvang Brewing Company is a welcome addition. The owners put a lot into revitalizing the building and windmill inside and out. This place is worth going to just for the fact that you can stand inside a windmill. But my favorite part is the viking lounge. They have nice TVs and lots of brick and comfortable seating. As for the menu, I recommend the Pepper Seared Ahi if you're having dinner. Or if you are in for a few drinks and a snack, you can not go wrong with the Carnitas Nachos this is a huge plate that you can easily share with another person.

They have live entertainment several nights per week and the bar stays open late so you can keep the party going after you're done at the wineries or your friends wedding, etc.

I noticed that the overall reviews on Yelp are not outstanding. To that I have two things to say. First, seems like Yelp is a place for people to vent rather than offer helpful reviews, wearas Tripadvisor members are those who travel and know that one visit to an establishment is not the be all end all. Second, the Solvang Brewing Company has only been open for a few months, they are working out the kinks and surviving in a down economy. I'm confident that they are improving their service and are on track to dialing in every aspect of their business so that the customer experience will be optimized.

Give them a chance, enjoy the windmill and maybe meet a new friend or two in the viking lounge. Your visit here could well become the highlight of your trip to Solvang.

• Visited September 2011