Review of Root 246

Root 246
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 71 Restaurants in Solvang
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed January 23, 2010

This place was amazing..the ambiance, the service, and the FOOD... Oh my god..its perfect...Got to see the kitchen, I could eat off the floors, super super clean. Great job!!

Reviewed January 23, 2010

I have to agree with the previous reviewers title "If your not having dinner here, for your sake, i hope you are at The Ballard Inn Restaurant". Very well put as the Ballard Inn is my favorite restaurant in the Santa Ynez Valley and because of that Root 246 had a lot to live up to. My wife had previously tried Root 246 and said she loved it. I myself was a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews here at Tripadvisor but it was my Birthday and my wife made the reservations so that took my opinion out of the equation.

My first impressions at arrival was the atmosphere/decor were amazing. We were immediately greeted and seated and the staff is very professional. We ordered a bottle of Lincourt Cab (local) which was actually reasonably priced and had 2 starters. The Maytag Blue Cheese Souffle' was out of this world as was the Miso Glazed Pork Belly with 2 tiny springrolls. Man both of those were to die for great.

For our main course my wife ordered the Lamb over shitake mushroom risotto and I ordered the 10 ounce Rib Eye with marbled potatoes. Right when the plates came I looked over the 2 dishes and immediately came to the conclusion that once again, my wife ordered the better dish. There was enough food on her palte to feed both of us! Her's was absolutely excellant. Risotto was killer and the lamb was tender and moist... and delicious (I'm not a huge fan of lamb, but this might of been the best tasting meat I've ever had). Then there was mine. I love a great steak and I usually judge a restaurant by just how they prepare and serve their meat. I don't think I have ever seen such a thin piece of meat in my life. It was large in diameter, however it was only 1/4 inch thick... I kid you not! It was tasty as were the potatoes that came on the side, however the next time I go I will definately be trying something else.

In conclusion, I thought the whole experience was incredible. Although the steak was not up to my personnal expectations, it was tasty. But the ambience, service, and starters made up for any discontent of the steak. I will definately add Root 246 to our restaurant list of places to eat. Was it as good as the Ballard Inn? Actually quite difficult to compare but I will say that it is a "Ballard Inn Caliber" restaurant with it's own unique twist.

1  Thank wineguy52
Reviewed January 12, 2010

This is the second time eating at this restaurant and again it amazed me with it's innovation and flavor. I had the Sturgeon with spinach/basil gnocchi. Insanely delicious. The homemade ice sampler spoons with an espresso was a perfect way to end the dinner. Hands down one of the best places to eat in Santa Ynez Valley.

Reviewed January 8, 2010

Full Disclosure: we were talking with the owners of a local wine bar in solvang, and commented that we had read mixed reviews of 246 on some travel sites. He knew the owner, was adamant that the restaurant would meet and exceed our expectations and placed a call on our behalf. We definitely had some perks: The chance to tour the kitchen and meet the chefs, but I don't honestly think it changed the food or service from what I could see with other diners.

So, the space is beautiful, the outside bar with fireplace appears very calm and soothing, but classy. Two bar areas, one quiet, one with TV's. The dining space is very clean, cool and calming. We had what seem to be the signature dishes: blue cheese souffle and oysters for appetizers, then shared the "fried" chicken entree. The oysters where hands down the best my wife and I have ever had. The souffle light and delicious. The dressing on the accompany salad to the souffle was a bit thick and sweet to my tastes, but that's personal.

The chicken was simply stunning: crunching crisp, thin skin, tender and sweet with what are the best mashed potatoes in the world. Dessert was a shared cheese plate.

In my mind prices were very reasonable ($10-12 for appetizers and the entree wa $27).

If you purchase a bottle at the Taste of the Valley wine shop in town, 246 will waive the corkage fee.

Reviewed December 15, 2009

I am a tough reviewer just look and see my contributions. This is easily one of the top 10 restaurants on the Central Coast and would be in the top 10 in LA up there with Madeo and the Water Grill. The owners put more than $1 million in the place and it shows. The wine display and selection is amazing. The bar food is some of the most inventive you have seen. The decor is welcoming and nicely upscale. We ate in the kitchen and it was astonishing. The pork chop was extremely juicy, they have a chef for just grilling. The chop was covered in balsamic glazed vegetables which made the chop explode with flavor. It was on creamed corn which was in fact fresh corn in cream which made it taste more like corn than corn on the cob. Every dish the 6 of us had was excellent. The cheese platter is not worth it but that is my value set. We had several appetizers, desserts and several bottles of wine. The service was supreme. The truffles served with the risotto were astonishing in their size and texture. For those who did not like the food book the kitchen table next time (their name for it) and watch a dozen people create amazing dishes.