“Great food, expensive, but treat you like a tourist”
Review of Root 246

Root 246
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 72 Restaurants in Solvang
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Sonora, California
“Great food, expensive, but treat you like a tourist”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Let's get the bad news out of the way; service is hit and miss. We like to sit at the counter typically and it's very odd because all the waiters come back there and fill their respective wine orders but no one seems to be permanently attached to editing on counter customers. So finding your server or servers as the case may be can be interesting...when we sat on the patio out server went from being very attentive to vanishing. My final comment on the service is that while, yes, we are tourists in your town, you don't have to look down your nose at us. We can be fun , nice people if you open up to us a little! So lose the attitude and warm up a bit!!

On the plus side is the menu and the food - though portions and prices don't always seem to make sense...Best food in Solvang period. Same with decor and wine and spirits.

Btw, the service comments apply to just about every establishment in Solvang and Los Olivos.

Nipomo, California
“That 1”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

First, we were able to sit outside on the patio by the fireplace. Great setting. I'm starting this review, hence the title, with one of the best cocktails I've ever had, called That 1. It is their take on a Manhattan, house made, barrel aged and simply a great drink. It was so good, I wanted to buy one of their bottles, but they had sold out at $120.00 a bottle. I had the bison tartare appetizer, with a poached quail egg. Very delicious. My wife loved her salad, arugula and Parmesan, simple but well done. My wife had the steelhead and I had lamb two ways. Loved it. I think many of the menu items change from day-to-day, so check out their chalkboard right outside the restaurant. We had a wonderful dinner and will return.

• Visited February 2014
San Jose, California
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Last weekend was our first time dining at Root 246, and we will definitely return. The restaurant is beautiful, spacious and understated yet has sophisticated décor and ambiance. It felt casually warm and friendly. We first enjoyed their well-made, special house cocktails in their cozy lounge. The dinner in the dining room afterward was so delicious, well presented with excellent service. Betthany was our server and she was fantastic! She described each dish so well, and was so enthusiastic for the Chef's cuisine. All the wait staff was superb, binging our party of six our dishes at the same time. The Pastrami Shortrib was very unique, tender and scrumptious. The lamb three-ways was fantastic as well. Everyone loved the various appetizers we ordered. The duck confit nuggets, truffled tots, brined and fried quail, and the killer brussel sprouts were all fantastic. Desserts were unique and amazingly delicious! The lighting is very comfortable in this restaurant and the noise level was just right. All in all, at Root 246, they are very well managed, they love their customers, and the food is outstanding, making for an excellent experience.

• Visited March 2014
Santa Clarita, California
“Made the Mrs. happy this Valentine's Day at Root 246”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Brought my wife here for Valentine's Day. I'm not a huge fan of special fixed menus but I had limited options since I was making reservations somewhat last minute. This fixed menu was 3 course dinner and dessert and had some real hits.

The first course was a choice of either a salad consisting of tiny lettuce heads and watermelon radishes or a cauliflower soup. My wife had the salad and thought it was light and refreshing and I had the soup, which was rich tasting.

Second course a portebello mushroom with a lobster thermidor mix. The mushroom was thick and meaty and lobster was just right. There was a second option for this course, but neither of us chose it.

Course three was the main, and we picked the petite filet, which came with asparagus and what seemed like a fried potato cake. My filet was slightly rarer than I ordered, but still delicious. Asparagus is a common upscale side for a tender steak like that, and while the potato was tasty, the crusty texture didn't really match the tenderness of the steak.

Dessert was the only miss for me. I chose the chocolate caramel tart, and it had a pale accompanying sauce that was just sour. I had to slide it away from the tart for fear it would have ruined the sweetness of it.

The attached photos are of my actual plates which show the presentation.

Our waitress was very pleasant and provided detailed descriptions of each course.

Valentine's Day, like most "Hallmark Holidays" brings out the expensive factor, and fixed menu themed dinners demonstrate that to the extreme. At $70 a pop not including drinks, this is the reason for my "poor" value rating. $50 a person would have been more reasonable.

• Visited February 2014
San Diego, California
“Sophisticated and chic restaurant”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

While in Solvang, we dined at Root 246, an extremely visually interesting restaurant. The service, food, and wine list were excellent. We highly recommend!

Visited February 2014