“Third visit, still missing Bradley Odgen”
Review of Root 246

Root 246
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 71 Restaurants in Solvang
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The menu changes to meet seasonal foods, which is nice. But, we also lose some of our favorite dishes that are not seasonal. I had the wonderful flat bread and pasta dish, finding the flat bread consistently always one of the best items. The entree' was very small and were never given any bread(?) for our table. My wife enjoyed seared scallops, which were super tiny and only three. If that small, they should be four at least. Also, there was very little added to the dish except three baby sized potato chunks and a grilled onion.

The waitress was very attentive and the decor and ambiance is always a flash back to big city dining experience for Solvang.

1  Thank KipL

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had an overnight stay in Solvang and decided to eat here because I had read about it when it opened. We had the flatbread with fennel, fig, and arugula to start. It was WONDERFUL. The pastry part was so light. I had the scallops and my husband had the short ribs. Both were excellent. We ended with the cheese plate which had almonds, dried cherries, apple butter, honey and light crackers. It was the perfect way to end a meal. We left feeling content but not stuffed. The atmosphere is so comfortable and the service was great. I would highly recommend it for a special date and we will definitely come back.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were looking for a good place to eat so my wife found this spot. We mentioned it to a local bar tender who said that maybe we should pass as they had new kitchen staff and hadn't quite "melded". We decided to try anyway and were so happy we did.

First, as with most other Solvang locations, the staff was fantastic. We actually felt as if we had to waitpersons as they were all constantly checking on us.

We decided to eat tapas style - The grilled peppers were fantastic. The oysters fresh and tasty. The only disappointment was the hamachi - it was still good, just not great. But all in all, the food was perfect.

They also had some specialty cocktails and my wife ordered one made with serrano peppers called Laughin Buddah. Wow! One of the best tasting cocktails in a long time.

Atmosphere was wonderful. Definitely a must-do.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was fortunate to have had the opportunity to have both Sunday brunch and a weekday dinner at this place... the lunch service seemed like they had something to prove (in a good sense)... the servers were incredibly attentive and the food was spectacular. The dinner I had later in the week was slightly different with less attention to detail (a wait for drinks and service), decent food (one in the party had to send back pork chops as they were undercooked)...

I'd have to chalk it up to new staff and kitchen help... overall a nice place, but I'd stick with lunch and go to Ballard Inn for dinner

1  Thank SoCar_Consultant
Reviewed April 8, 2013

You would never expect this kind of restaurant in such a small town. The two bars were exceptional. One ultra modern and the other sleek but comfortable.
Unique menu. The starters were diverse and numerous. The entrees, on the other hand, were limited but very interesting. We had the chicken served on mashed potatoes and topped with a wonderful, flavorful apple slaw with whiskied raisins. The chef out did himself with this creation.