“Norma J”
Review of Root 246

Root 246
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 71 Restaurants in Solvang
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Little pricey but good food and great service . We are not fancy eaters but the flat steak was very tasty . Really enjoyed it . Had a couple drinks also very good .

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The girl at the hotel we stayed at recommended this spot. We had just gotten into town so we went without a reservation and although there were a ton of empty tables (inside and out) we were offered a place to sit in the lounge bar. Fortunately, there was a couch-type table in the bar where we sat. My burger was delicious and my hubby got a flatbread that he really liked. The service was ok, only because we had the busy bartender waiting on us. Overall, the food was great, but it might be best to make a reservation if you prefer to sit outside or in the restaurant.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Bradley Ogden's reputation as a fine chef drew us to Roote 246. From the instant we were shown to our table, we were underwhelmed with cold, uninviting service. Our server was awkward. She attempted to take part in our family conversation on several occasions. She also tried to constantly "up-sell" us on expensive things on the menu, which was quite obvious and very annoying. The food was twice served at varying stages for the same course, even after we complained. This left some people eating and others waiting for their food. The most unsettling thing was the quality of the food. I'm actually shocked that a place with a famous chef and fairly decent reputation would fail so miserably when it came to food. The salads and steaks were overdressed, the eggs over the salad should have been served "runny" however were hard-boiled. The calamari was incredibly simple and the famous "shake and bake" chicken was quite bland and overcooked. The only good part of the meal was the steak was quite nicely cooked and flavorful. The atmosphere and dining room were quite nicely decorated and kept. Overall, I would not eat at Roote 246 again; and don't recommend anyone else eat there either.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stopping overnight in Solvang on my way to LA, my hotel concierge recommended that I try Root 246 if I wanted a good burger. And, you can only get the burger by ordering from the bar menu: no problem. I ordered Root 246's grilled steak burger with fries with cheese and a Firestone beer. Honestly, the burger was amazing. Simple, yet fresh and cooked perfectly. The fries were also quite notable for being fresh and hand cut, but also for being perfectly fried without any trace grease. Salted nicely, too, I should add. (Note: my review concerns only the lounge part of the restaurant, so I cannot comment on the restaurant dining area.)

The on-tap beer selection at 3 beer left something to be desired, but the local Firestone beer was still very palatable. The service was excellent, and despite my wife and I being severely underdressed upon arrival we felt welcome during the entire stay, as lounged about on a large couch. (We arrived wearing shorts and flip-flips and a hoody--hey, the concierge didn't warn us about any dress code, despite everyone else being dressed up in black dresses and sportcoats.) The atmosphere is definitely chic, without being pretentious. Comfortable.

All in all, not only one of the best burgers I've had on my travels throughout the United States, also one of the most enjoyable and relaxing dining experiences I've yet had. Highly and strongly recommended.

1  Thank Adrian D
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Went here with my husband to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. Had no problem making a reservation. Menu is great, changes regularly. Amazing cheese selection. Service was good too, not too imposing, but plenty attentive. We loved it! Would highly recommend! (Cheese plate, two steaks, two glasses of wine and a dessert = about $125)

1  Thank DZKathrynE