“OK stopoff but in urgent need of refurbishment”

Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed here 1 night on our way from Monterey to Los Angeles - it was the only Holiday Inn with a vacancy in the area, and I can see why. Room was large but had big carpet stains, corridors also dirty, the whole place is overdue for a refurbishment. Desk staff not particularly welcoming.
Also, Solvang in the evening was a strange place. We couldn't find anywhere decent to eat, half the restaurants were closed and the atmosphere was a bit sad generally. Perhaps it's a great daytime place.......

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2009

Stayed here for two nights at the tail end of a trip fron San Jose. I was very disappointed with the room. First thing we noticed when we walked in was the dirty carpet. Lots of spots! I didn't complain to the front desk because we had just driven down from San Jose and we were tired. The room was small, bathroom and sink area was seperate which was kind of weird because when you used the bathroom you had to walk out of the bathroom to wash your hands or brush your teeth. The bedroom was right there so if you were laying in bed you could here everything! It did have a pool and spa, both dirty! Good news...staff was friendly, view was ok (we had a view of the valley through the huge Oak trees), breakfast was decent, and the hotel was in walking distance to all the shops in Solvang. I would say, if you can, stay at one of the other hotels in Solvang. Most are pricey, but it might be worth it, especially if you are staying longer than two nights. I would not stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2009

The HIE in Solvang isn't fancy. We rented a loft room so our teenager could have a separate bed from the 6 year old, but the AC wasn't working in the loft so they gave us a reduced rate (even though the rate was already very affordable.) The bed were comfortable, the room was clean though a bit old, and we loved the extra space. The breakfast bar was surprisingly extensive; most hotel had just instant oatmeal and bagels, but the HIE had eggs, bacon, sweet rolls, etc. and a large room in which to eat. And it was much less expensive than many of the other motels in the area.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was our first trip to Solvang.
The hotel is quite new and close to the heart of the shopping area.

When we made the reservation and when we checked in, we specifically requested to be in a quiet side of the hotel. But the front desk was not very friendly and basically ignored our request and put us on the highway side.

We had a loft suite and the design was unique and my family loved it when we first arrived.The nightmare began from here since the room was so noisy.
Also, there were people smoking, chatting and possibly drinking at night till 1-2am in front of the lobby and the hotel management failed to stop the folks.

I would rate this hotel with a higher score if not for the noise.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My friend and I stayed here one night and were disappointed with the room. The staff were a mixed bag. Breakfast had variety and was pretty good. Other guests were very nice.
ROOM: Although it was not a hot day, it was warm and the airconditioning in the room was out of order. They did install a fan and with the window able to open about 2 inches we were barely comfortable overnight. Reporting this to the desk elicited only a "The maintenance guy is gone, but I'll make a note of it." (I overheard another guest the next day moving out because of the lack of a/c in their room.
The bathroom was very tired -- paint chipped off the toilet seat, sloppy white silicon seal replacing missing grout in the bath/shower, and very slow bath drain. The inner shower curtain was so mildewed I was unwilling to have it submerged in the slowing draining tub during my shower.
The staff attitudes ranged from meek to inattentive. Asking about a place to eat within walking distance we were told there weren't any. But this may be a consequence of the torpor of the whole town. Many restaurants were closed -- some even boarded up. We eventually found a place to eat, but it too wasn't great.
All in all I wouldn't stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it to others. All of Solvang looks like it is in trouble and perhaps this Holiday Inn Express is not independent of this.
When we checked in, the manager was attending to some contractors or decorators with carpet and tile samples. Maybe this hotel will be fixed up in the future, but it's hard to say when.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights with my girlfriend while attending the annual wine festival in April. This is an average Holiday Inn - nothing special, but nothing really bad either (other than it being very expensive at $175/night on Fri/Sat, but all Solvang hotels seem to be overpriced).

The room we were given was okay. It was on the front of the hotel, so there was a bit of traffic noise, but not excessive. We left the aircon on all night, so we didn't hear the traffic. The room did have a very large king size bed with both firm and soft pillows, but there wasn't an extra blakent in the room, so we had to set the aircon just right to avoid getting too cold/hot. The room also had a standard bathroom, but as with many hotels, the sink is open to the rest of the room while the shower and toilet are behind a door. This is not the best if you or your partner are trying to sleep in while the other gets ready in the morning. The towels were decent and the shower had been recently tiled, but the wallpaper and paint were peeling because there is no exhaust fan in the bathroom (i.e. it gets very steamy).

Note, a friend was given a room at the back of the hotel which had a small balconey overlooking some trees (my front room didn't have a balconey). He said it was quieter, but basically the same room as ours. So, if you're bothered by traffic noise, you might want to ask for a room on the back side of the building.

The hotel does have a standard Holiday Inn breakfast buffet in the morning. It has a decent selection of cereals, fruits, mini-muffins, bagels, pastries, juices, and a few "hot" dishes (buffet style scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuts/gravy). It did get crowded in the breakfast room on Saturday/Sunday mornings and there was a bit of a wait when some of the "hot" dishes ran out, but overall it was okay if you just want a quick/basic breakfast.

Overall, a decent hotel, but expensive. It is convenient as it is right on the edge of Solvang and within walking distance of everything (but all hotels in Solvang are within walking distance - its a really small town). If price is an issue, a better option may be to stay in one of the hotels in Buellton about 5 miles down the road right off the 101. Another cheaper option if you're wine tasting and not planning to spend much time in Solvang is Santa Maria about 30 miles north on the 101.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2009

My daughter and I just returned from a girls get away to Solvang for a few days. The Holiday Inn Express was a great hotel that is within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants in the downtown area.

We arrived on a Monday afternoon and were able to check in at 2:00 with no problems. We requested a room on the 3rd floor and it was no problem. Our room faced the back of the hotel with scenic views of the hillsides.

The room itself was large but it had an odd configuration. The ceilings were sloping - I suppose to lend an architectural touch that I missed. There was a small table and two chairs by the window which was nice for the one meal that we ordered from take-out and returned to our room to eat. The room had a coffee maker with tea and coffee choices. It would have been nice to have a microwave and small fridge but for a standard room I didn't really expect those amenities at a HI Express.

Because of the size of the room, there was a huge empty space on one side of the bed by the door. It would have been nice to have a sofa there since it would have faced the TV but then again, they didn't consult me as to their floorplans or decor!

The Good:
- Great location - an easy walk to everywhere downtown.
- Friendly, fast check-in upon arrival.
- Covered underground parking - this was nice for when it rained the second day we were there.
- Free wi-fi. Nice surprise since I didn't see this listed as an amenity on their website.
- Nice selection of bathroom amenities including make-up remover. The shampoo and conditioner are in microscopic bottles so if you have long hair like me and my daughter you may need more.
- There were a lot of cable TV channels. For the guys, I believe there were at least 5 sports channels alone.
- Great AAA rates. We paid less than $90 per night using AAA.

The Bad:
- No bath towels in the room. We called the front desk and they were quickly delivered.
- Noise from the hallway carried into the room easily. (why do parents allow their kids to run up and down the halls late at night??)
- The outside doors were always unlocked or propped open like other reviews indicated. Why have the doors with the locks if you are going to keep them open at all times?
- The breakfast room is small so get there early if you want a table. We were lucky to get a table for 2 the first morning.
- The complimentary breakfast seemed to always be out of the hot items (eggs, sausage, cinnamon rolls) However, the staff worked hard to try and keep everything stocked but the majority of the guests must have showed up at the same time. The second day, the only fresh fruit they had were apples. We decided to eat at Paula's Pancake House that morning so it was ok. (By the way Paula's was amazing!)
- The hot water on the shower seemed to take forever to get warm.
- No fitness room. (With all the danishes and pastries in town I felt like I needed a workout to get rid of the guilt!)
- The housekeeping staff were very chatty in the halls in the morning. Since you could hear through the doors easily this was a bit annoying - especially if you were trying to sleep in.

Overall, this was a great hotel option that I would use again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family