“Okay, but some problems”

Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Washington
“Okay, but some problems”
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Easy to find as it is one of the first hotels off Hwy 101. Nice place to start one's stroll of the town. Easy to find, parking was underneath the building. Check in was easy and the rate was reasonable with a AAA card. We had a room on the front of the building so there was road noise. I think this will be an issue in all of Solvang as there is only one main road through town. Book on the back of the hotel if possible.

The first room we received had a TV that didn't work. I guess we were the first guest to use the TV and the staff was unaware of the problem. They promptly moved us to a new room with a working TV. The room was warm so we turned on the A/C. It worked so well we awakened during the night to find the room temperature at 60 degrees. I guess the A/C only has an ON/OFF switch. The thermostat doesn't work.

The beds were comfortable, the pillows okay. Carpet was stained and in need of replacement. No fridge but there was a coffee maker and hair dryer (this provided much needed warmth after our A/C debacle.)

The tub/shower was clean except for the long black hair in the tub (my pet peeve) and I guess the maid has never noticed that the drain is VERY slow. We all left with ring around the ankle. I know this is probably picky but in plumbing, isn't hot on the left and cold on the right in the U.S.? Not in Solvang, I guess it is part of the Euro-centric theme.

Overall it is a place to stay and a good price. We paid $95. I wouldn't stay there again unless just traveling through, got there late, and just needed a place to sleep.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle
Reviewed February 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. We were overall pleased with the room, but there is room for improvement. The beds were very comfortable, with several pillow choices. The room was on the first floor, so the view was blocked by all the trees. But the room seemed to be quiet, although that may not be the case at a busier time. Our carpeting was pretty stained and could stand to be replaced. The room contained no safe or frig, but there was a small coffee maker, although it is located next to the sink, which left little room for drying hair, etc. Some minor damage to folding doors to closet and ceiling over shower and in closet. Our heater was quite loud, but nothing that kept us from getting a good night's sleep. There was a balconey, with small table and two chairs; however, they were in need of a good cleaning. But it wasn't warm enough to spend much time outside, so it wasn't really a problem with us. But I wouldn't have used them without cleaning them off first.

The hotel is conveniently located and just a short walk to restaurants and shopping. Front desk people were friendly and the breakfast area is larger than others, with a nice selection for breakfast. There was a pool, but we didn't actually go check it out; although, from what we could see, it was small.

All in all, it suited our needs--not too pricey and clean. But if you are looking for a more romantic place, you might check out some of the other places--but be warned, Solvang hotels can be pretty spendy. I think this hotel was a good value--we don't need anything fancy because we don't actually spend any time in the room except to sleep.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 6, 2009

We stayed at holiday inn express in January 2009 for our weekend gataway to Solvang. The location was at the end of Mission road and across from visitor's center. It was a perfect location to start the walk around town!!
We reserved a room with king size bed in loft and a queen size sofa sleeper in living room and our kids loved it!
Like other people mentioned, it is a standard, pretty basic looking room. If you are looking for something beautiful, or if it is for a romantic gataway, this place will not be it. Our room was on second floor looking out hills, etc. and it was beautiful at night looking at stars from balcony.
I would not choose to stay on first floor since windows of those rooms are looking out walkways and therefore I would not be opening drapes for people to look inside of our room.
There is free continental breakfast with fruits, yogult, eggs, omlet, sausages, bacons, toast, danish(of course!)with tea, coffee, juice, etc. The breakfast room gets packed around 9-10am and difficult to find a table/seat. You can take food to your room but if you can, try to go little earlier. When we checked the breakfast room around 8am, there was nobody but by the time we got there at around 9am, it was full and saw some people taking foods to their room.
Make sure to plan for your dinner before you go to Solvang. Most of restaurants/cafes were closed at night (we saw one cafe open but others were closed).
We found best rates at their own web site and it was pretty reasonable. They also have rooms with 2 queen beds in loft and 1 queen size sleeper sofa in living room that fits 6 people as well.
Make sure to make reservation in advance for weekend!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank three_princesses_8
San Diego
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband and I went for our wedding anniversary. We were only staying one night. With our anniversary soon after the holidays, we decided to find a more economical hotel. Our room was larger than expected. We both appreciated how the bathroom vanity and sink area separated from the toilet and shower area in the bathroom. This was very convenient, and we felt we had more room to spread out. The views of the mountains were lovely from our room, and also from the outside stairwells going down to the garage. I was also surprised at the amount of food provided for breakfast. I was at a Best Western in Palm Springs a month before, and there was definitely more selection at the Holiday Inn express. Customer service at the hotel was courteous. We noticed some minor maintenance issues in the general property, but our room was bright and in good condition. The parking lot is a little strange, and I could see that there might be a shortage of parking in the summer. In either case, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
San Mateo, California
Reviewed January 28, 2009

My spouse and I decided to spend the night at Solvang extremely last minute and was glad to find this affordable accommodation. Great location and convenient. A mini-mart and the visitor's center are both situated across the street. Hotel staff was courteous. We reserved a room with 2 queen beds. The beds were a little soft for us. Bathroom came with the standard shampoo, conditioner, mouthrinse, bathgel and some lotion. There was a coffee machine in the room if anyone wanted tea or coffee. Everything in the room was in working condition. Continental breakfast was served with coffee, juices, cereals, biscuits, eggs etc. We did not use the pool but we walked by and found it to be extremely small. Some external doors of the hotel needed to be fixed since not all of them closed properly. I noticed some broken wall fixtures and the carpet may need to be changed. It was fine for one night stay but the hotel exterior needs some TLC or remodeling.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — fixtures
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed December 4, 2008

This is the former "Danish Country Inn", a little motel on the main drag just as you enter Solvang from the west. We always find a clean, inviting room here....though the place is old it is nicely renovated and kept-up. Every room seems to have an odd little problem like a noisy bathroom fan or a loose toilet seat, but all in all you can't do much better for the price in the area, especially with their weekday rates. Breakfast is typical continental fare such as cereals, bananas, bagels and microwaved cinnamon rolls. There is also warm microwaved scrambled eggs and sausage, juices and hot coffee. Solvangs most popular breakfast joint (Paula's) is just a short walk up the street when we're looking for more.
Parking is tight here when the motel is full, and security seems a bit lax...as all the security doors to the outside seemed to be propped open most of the time, or they just don't close all the way. The area doesn't seem to have many crime problems so maybe that's a moot complaint. Handicapped access is a little awkward from the parking lot, so drop off at the front is advised.
Making a left turn from the motel is near impossible, and a bit dangerous, so turn right and then turn around down the road at the light. In summary, a few minor problems at this place are surely outweighed by the nice clean rooms, decent breakfast, and reasonable rates.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tracys2cents
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I normally ignore reviews where the reviewer gives the place a "terrible" rating - the reviewers always seem to have a chip on their shoulder and maybe aren't the most objective. However, I certainly have changed my attitude following my stay at the HI Express in Solvang! Bugs do ruin your stay!

My parents and I had two king-sized rooms here for a night during a weekend up to the Santa Barbara wine region. Solvang is a quirky, kitchy little place, which I knew...I was not prepared for the insects all over my room, however, at the HI Express in Solvang. However, it is summertime in California - we are used to bugs, so I could be forgiving. Sadly, the staff at the HI Express really was not terribly accommodating or sympathetic when I reported the issue. There were not a few roaches or beetles - there were SEVERAL - and the staff really did not care. Thus, I am not being forgiving about this place!

The woman at the front desk shrugged her shoulders and did ask if I wanted another room - however, there were no other king-sized rooms available in the part of the hotel that actually had air-conditioning (yes, half the place did not). She did not seem at all bothered that I was upset about the situation. I was given an option - I could either have a room with two queen-sized beds or I could stay somewhere else. Yes, these were the options I was given by the woman working here.

Aside from the insects and uncaring staff member I encountered, there were a few other issues: the bathroom/shower/tubs are/were dated and grimy. The quality of towels, linens, and toiletries are terrible. Finally, the overall cleanliness of the property is/was poor.

To top off my stay here, my bill was not adjusted for my room change. Please know I was not looking for a free room - I had just hoped that I would be charged for my queen-sized room (the one I stayed in for the night) rather than the bug-infested king-sized room I could not stay in - at the time of booking, there was a difference in price. However, I was charged for the king-sized room. As I was itching to leave this place, I didn't even pay attention to the bill when we left - had I noticed, things may definitely have gotten ugly.

Holiday Inn Express properties are usually simple places that are cheap. However, they are usually also very clean. The HI Express in Solvang is not representative of this chain, to say the least!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Solvang hotels