“Great location but definitely need some TLC”

Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
San Mateo, California
“Great location but definitely need some TLC”
Reviewed January 28, 2009

My spouse and I decided to spend the night at Solvang extremely last minute and was glad to find this affordable accommodation. Great location and convenient. A mini-mart and the visitor's center are both situated across the street. Hotel staff was courteous. We reserved a room with 2 queen beds. The beds were a little soft for us. Bathroom came with the standard shampoo, conditioner, mouthrinse, bathgel and some lotion. There was a coffee machine in the room if anyone wanted tea or coffee. Everything in the room was in working condition. Continental breakfast was served with coffee, juices, cereals, biscuits, eggs etc. We did not use the pool but we walked by and found it to be extremely small. Some external doors of the hotel needed to be fixed since not all of them closed properly. I noticed some broken wall fixtures and the carpet may need to be changed. It was fine for one night stay but the hotel exterior needs some TLC or remodeling.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — fixtures
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed December 4, 2008

This is the former "Danish Country Inn", a little motel on the main drag just as you enter Solvang from the west. We always find a clean, inviting room here....though the place is old it is nicely renovated and kept-up. Every room seems to have an odd little problem like a noisy bathroom fan or a loose toilet seat, but all in all you can't do much better for the price in the area, especially with their weekday rates. Breakfast is typical continental fare such as cereals, bananas, bagels and microwaved cinnamon rolls. There is also warm microwaved scrambled eggs and sausage, juices and hot coffee. Solvangs most popular breakfast joint (Paula's) is just a short walk up the street when we're looking for more.
Parking is tight here when the motel is full, and security seems a bit lax...as all the security doors to the outside seemed to be propped open most of the time, or they just don't close all the way. The area doesn't seem to have many crime problems so maybe that's a moot complaint. Handicapped access is a little awkward from the parking lot, so drop off at the front is advised.
Making a left turn from the motel is near impossible, and a bit dangerous, so turn right and then turn around down the road at the light. In summary, a few minor problems at this place are surely outweighed by the nice clean rooms, decent breakfast, and reasonable rates.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tracys2cents
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I normally ignore reviews where the reviewer gives the place a "terrible" rating - the reviewers always seem to have a chip on their shoulder and maybe aren't the most objective. However, I certainly have changed my attitude following my stay at the HI Express in Solvang! Bugs do ruin your stay!

My parents and I had two king-sized rooms here for a night during a weekend up to the Santa Barbara wine region. Solvang is a quirky, kitchy little place, which I knew...I was not prepared for the insects all over my room, however, at the HI Express in Solvang. However, it is summertime in California - we are used to bugs, so I could be forgiving. Sadly, the staff at the HI Express really was not terribly accommodating or sympathetic when I reported the issue. There were not a few roaches or beetles - there were SEVERAL - and the staff really did not care. Thus, I am not being forgiving about this place!

The woman at the front desk shrugged her shoulders and did ask if I wanted another room - however, there were no other king-sized rooms available in the part of the hotel that actually had air-conditioning (yes, half the place did not). She did not seem at all bothered that I was upset about the situation. I was given an option - I could either have a room with two queen-sized beds or I could stay somewhere else. Yes, these were the options I was given by the woman working here.

Aside from the insects and uncaring staff member I encountered, there were a few other issues: the bathroom/shower/tubs are/were dated and grimy. The quality of towels, linens, and toiletries are terrible. Finally, the overall cleanliness of the property is/was poor.

To top off my stay here, my bill was not adjusted for my room change. Please know I was not looking for a free room - I had just hoped that I would be charged for my queen-sized room (the one I stayed in for the night) rather than the bug-infested king-sized room I could not stay in - at the time of booking, there was a difference in price. However, I was charged for the king-sized room. As I was itching to leave this place, I didn't even pay attention to the bill when we left - had I noticed, things may definitely have gotten ugly.

Holiday Inn Express properties are usually simple places that are cheap. However, they are usually also very clean. The HI Express in Solvang is not representative of this chain, to say the least!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Solvang hotels