“Can't wait to go back!”

Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed January 14, 2010

My friends and I were traveling California and decided to fly into LA, drive up the coast, and end up in San Francisco (where we flew out of)... we didn't want to do the drive in one day so we picked 2 places to stay overnight. Solvang was one of them.

Knowing nothing of California, let along Solvang, I booked this hotel purely off of internet reviews and research... so I of course I was nervous about what we were gonna get! Let me tell you... I was more than pleasantly surprised! The front desk staff was extraordinarily nice and accomodating.. they gave us coupons to restaurants and wine tastings... and their recommendations were awesome. Not only that, but my friend and I had lost our luggage and I had asked the front desk to let us know if it arrived. Not only did they say they would bring it to our room... they upgraded our room to make our trip more comfortable! The cottage was absolutely beautiful... the restaurant (Frangelica's, I believe) was one of the best Italian restaurants I've ever been to (and my dad owns one!), and we dreamt of the danish pancakes at Paula's Pancake House for the rest of our trip.

I highly recommend Solvang and especially Wine Valley Inn!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Wine Valley Inn & Cottages

Reviewed December 8, 2009

This was not our first stay at the WVI, and will not be our last.

Both my parents had passed away in Sept, and my Husband wanted to get me away from all of the stress. He booked a room with a fireplace, the first room we had the TV was not working properly. Billy at the front desk gave him a key to try another room, It would have been fine, but we had our dog with us and there wasnt enough floor space to lay her pillow.

When Hubby told Billy we really needed more floor space, he happily upgraded us to a mini suite. Having the large room was perfect.

The hotel has been remodled since our last stay and is looking really nice and modern while keeping the quaint wine country feel.

The breakfast is perfect as we tend to eat so much more on vacay that cereal is all we need to start the day.

On Sat night we went to the wine tasting in the evening, which was great as it was Curtis Winery tasting that night and we are members.

We love this hotel and Solvang and cant wait to return.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Stayed at the Wine Valley Inn during a trip to the California coast. Solvang itself is quaint and cute and quite relaxing. Our room was at the back of the hotel and fairly small. This is not a Hilton style hotel, rather the rooms are more individualistic looking. The bed was right next to the window and door, so that when one stepped outside the door, you got a clear view from outside of anyone laying on the bed and this could be an uncomfortable feeling for some. The grounds were beautiful and there were 2 lounge area's outside - both having fireplaces but they were not lit. Breakfast is included and it was fine for travelling. Parking appears to be tight. The room was clean and we got it for a reasonable rate - I would only stay here again if the same rate applied.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2009

In general, the hotel is very lovely. The rooms are clean, modern, and the grounds are beautiful. I had heard good things about WVI, and booked it for my husband and me to celebrate a very special occasion. Unfortunately, the first night, we were in room 31, and we were constantly woken up by people walking on the stairs and in the parking lot. The other guests weren't being particularly loud, it's just that that room is in a very bad location, right in the parking lot and under the stairs, and the walls are very thin. I did not think it was fair that we were charged the same amount to stay in that room as others were charged to stay in much quieter rooms. We did not sleep well at all that night, (I was woken up at least 4 times) and that was frustrating. The next night we switched rooms to a much quieter room (201) and I thought that that room was worth the price we were paying. However, overall, I was very disappointed and felt shortchanged by our first night's experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2009

This was one of my favourite hotels from our trip to the USA (we stayed in 9 in total) - clean, modern, very well-appointed. Our first room was on the ground floor of the block which overlooks the small gardens adjacent to the cottages and was lovely, but fairly small. Unfortunately, it was right next to an area of outdoor seating by one of the outdoor fireplaces where a very noisy group of other guests gathered - they were there when we went out to dinner and noisier (and drunker) when we got back a couple of hours later. They made no attempt to quieten down and we could hear every word of their conversation. We asked reception if they could move us and without hesitation they allocated us an upgrade in an area of the hotel as far away as possible from the noisy crowd. Breakfast was a continental buffet with a good choice of pastries, etc. The hotel has a spa which the receptionist who checked us in mentioned, but there is no information on this or the services available in the rooms - what a missed selling opportunity!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2009

No advance reservations were made and came in off the street and stayed for three nights. The rooms were so-so and without any view. I think the cost was the priviledge of staying in Solvang. Big deal. Unless you are interested in visiting the local wineries spend your time in Carmel as it has more to offer. However, we cannot criticize the breakfast and the breakfast room ambience. We have been to Solvang once before and had stayed here, probably under the former name.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed here for one night with a group of 15 people travelling together on a Pacific Coast Road trip. Based on our research, including feedback from Trip Advisor, we had arranged for a group booking for 8 rooms well in advance of our stay. Upon our arrival, all of the reservations were in order, and check in was efficient and quick, even though we all arrived at the same time. The staff was efficient but could have been more freindly.
The rooms were very clean and spacious, and the hotel overall was very clean and well maintained. The breakfast service was very good, and worked well for our group.
Everyone in our group was very pleased with our stay here, and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!