“Great Hotel! Room For Improvement!”

Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The wine valley in is our usual hotel of choice for our vacation stops in Solvang, Ca. Only a stones throw away from the stores and tasting rooms, the wine valley inn has become a centralized hotel convenient for us to get to the places we want without too much hassle.

With that in mind, there is room for some significant improvement. I had to call several times and was put on hold for a while before I had a chance to speak to the front desk to confirm our reservation. Upon arrival I learned that there was only one person managing the front desk during a peak time. This issue is significant and unacceptable. Another significant issue we experienced was that the central heat didn't heat the loft where we were staying as well as it should. The wifi was not working properly-it took several long attempts to log in and when I connected finally, I was kicked off not long after. A less significant issue but one that could stand for improvement is the breakfast menu. The breakfast is an improvement with the added scrambled eggs and sausages; however, one item I would HIGHLY recommend adding to the menu is an assorted/mixed fruit selection, such as the fresh cut assortments of melon, strawberries, pineapple, etc. That would add nicely to and complete a well rounded, healthy breakfast experience.

It is my hope that you take this review with the seriousness it deserves, from guests who have made the Wine Valley Inn their hotel of choice for the past seven years, and make the appropriate adjustments and upgrades. Overall the Wine Valley Inn is a great place to stay and will continue to be our choice for hotel accommodations.

1  Thank Kris J
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you so much for all the feedback you have just provided us and future guest to read. And thank you for been a loyal, repeat guest to our Solvang property. As you know, we take all feedback regarding improvement into great consideration, because it is through the opinion of our valued guests that we are able to improve those areas were improvement is needed. Thank you for pointing out the one front desk agent working the desk during peak hours. But let me just inform you that we were actually short staffed. We do usually have two agents working the front desk so that our guest can have a speedy check in process. Thank you again for the wonderful review and for you feedback.

Guest Relations Manager

There are newer reviews for Wine Valley Inn & Cottages

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wine Valley Inn is a little gem. Centrally located. Helpful staff - Frances and Jennifer were very accommodating and helpful, but severely understaffed during a busy holiday weekend. Pet friendly, which is a plus. However, if you are like us and don't have children, find alternative lodging. Above us, running through the halls, screeching at breakfast, they seem to be everywhere. Parents, pls control your children. Obviously not the hotel's fault, but the way it is built, you can hear everything.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I give the Wine Valley Inn 5 stars!, it was spotless,modern,yet cozy! at night they sell wine and cheese for $6 at the lobby, you can sit by the fireplace and enjoy your drink. when we checked inn the woman at the front desk was very helpful and nice. Our room was on top of the lobby and came with 2 queen beds that was extra comfy, a fireplace, and a hole separate room with 2 loft bunk beds the kids loved it! Every morning the hotel serves free hot breakfast..it had eggs and a variety of sweets.in the back of the hotel their was an outdoor garden that was lovely. Overall I have no complains with the wine valley inn we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed staying here for two nights. The cost was reasonable, the breakfast was good, the people were helpful and the location was perfect.

Like most non-chain hotels, though, it has its quirks. We stayed in the "Chateau Loft Junior Suite," which has an upstairs with a bed and a second television. However, the bathroom is downstairs, which was a little awkward. Also, the bathroom is pretty small with a shower head that's way too low. Plus in winter, the upstairs is hot and the downstairs is cold.

The remote control for the upstairs TV couldn't be found. I asked the front desk about it, who left to find a replacement. She returned to the room with four remotes from other rooms to try. None of them worked, but I appreciated her effort.

Overall, though, it was a good place that fit a cute town. If you can handle its quirks, it's worth a stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Came here Christmas night (technically 12/26) at 1am. Normally, anyone stuck working the holidays(or late night shift) are not overly happy, let alone helpful. This was not the case! Correna was very welcoming and so friendly and helpful! She made sure to tell us not to miss out on the free breakfast from 7(?)-10:30am. It's not a continental breakfast that most places serve, it's a full, very yummy breakfast! It's smack dab in the middle of town so you can walk anywhere you want! My Husband and I couldn't spend much time here, but thanks to the customer service from both Correna & the general manager, we'll be back for sure! I'm going to order the welcome basket this time though! We don't drink wine, but the snacks sound great! Oh, and all of the little goodies in the room are VERY reasonably priced and tasty too! The base level room, felt like a suite on its own, especially with the fireplace! Love. This. Place.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I've stayed here in December before and was impressed. This time we reserved a cottage and got the handicap cottage, My boyfriend and I are not handicap and in our 20's so I thought we would be getting a loft cottage with a Jacuzzi and instead we got this huge one level cottage that smelled when we walked in. Granted the only reason I rented this cottage was because of the Jacuzzi, but even that is old and only had one temperature. Sadly I will not be staying here again. The price was very expensive when all we needed was a room, the extra space was unnecessary. And the handicap shower was a bit uncomfortable. I guess that's what happens when you book AAA. Oh ya also, I called at 9pm to get some water and they said house keeping had already left. This was little disappointing as the water in our room was already opened and still in the fridge. Gross

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Beautiful, unique hotel located in the heart of Solvang. Great customer service. We had a Junior Suite with step-down bedroom, perfect for adults with kids who can sleep on sofa-sleeper - lots of room. Updated bathroom. Down-side was that if we opened the blinds, everyone walking by could see in so we had to keep most closed and it was a little dark. The room could have smelled fresher and both sets of sheets had a couple stains on them - if they paid attention to details like this, it would make for a better experience but then again, it was only $150/nt in what I imagine to be 'the high season'. Decent hot & cold complimentary breakfast buffet. $6 glasses of wine in the evening with free cheese and crackers. Super expensive bike & surry rentals. Solvang in general was very nice but the town closes down very early and the majority of restaurants are tourist traps - mediocre or poor food and overpriced. The Succulent Cafe is fantastic and we did really enjoy the beer flight and Fish & Chips at Solvang Brewery and the pizza at Giovanni's. Stay away from Bit-o-Denmark.

Room Tip: Elevators only go to the 2nd floor - would have to take steps to the 3rd. Cottages are adorable if y...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!