“Love Cottage #2 its become our Anniversary getaway!”

Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Apple Valley, California
“Love Cottage #2 its become our Anniversary getaway!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We've been staying here for 7 years. We love the rooms and cottages. The old world feel, hospitality and ambiance is what keeps us coming back. Not all rooms are decorated the same which is a lovely touch. It is definitely a unique place to stay, not cookie cutter. Cottage #2 has become our favorite. Some small things to note on our last stay some of the jacuzzi jets were not working, missed the robes (they were provided last stay), we went out to walk and when we returned the small stained glass on the entry door was broken. I really hope it gets repaired soon, its such a lovely cottage. Hopefully it stays as lovely with the new administration! Hint, Hint!!!!!! We hope to back next year...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for taking a few minutes out of your busy schedule to provide us and future guest with your feedback on your recent stay at Wine Valley Inn. We are glad that you are a returning guest and that you have been for the past seven years. As you are aware, all our team members are highly trained at providing the best customer service and we are glad to hear that they are doing just so. Thank you for bringing the issues you encountered with your room on your recent stay, we are working hard of fixing the issues mentioned and we are also working hard at remodeling the properly; for this I ask you for patience, as in the long run it will be for the better of everyone. Thank you again for the wonderful comments.

Kindly,
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located in down town Solvang. You can walk everywhere you need to go which was really nice. We parked our car & did not need to use it until we checked out 2 days later. The outside of the hotel is very cute & there were nice outdoor sitting areas with fire places. Now for the negatives. Our room was on the 2nd floor, but I felt a strong connection to the 3rd floor....I could hear the people above us roll over in bed, use the restroom at 5am & other "unmentionable" sounds. The mattress was too firm for me & the pillows were pretty flat. The breakfast was absolutely horrible, everything was microwaved frozen foods & watery powdered eggs. Thank goodness were able to walk to a nice breakfast the next day just down the street. Only a fabulous room rate could get me to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013
We are happy to hear that you found our hotel to your liking and you liked the location as Wine Valley Inn and Cottages is located at the heart of Solvang. As you have stated above, there are many stores within walking distance to the hotel. We always try to maintain a clean environment so that all of our guest can enjoy their stay at our property to its fullest. Please apologize us for the inconvenience caused to you during you stay at our property. We are working hard on improving the conditions of the beds and pillows. We hope you were able to enjoy our free Wi-Fi and parking. Thank you again for the feedback you have provided.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 1 year anniversary, and bought a package that included a dinner at the nearby Solvang Brewing Company, and a bottle of wine in our room. We stayed in one of the cottages, which was fairly expensive for the area but we wanted the private hot tub. The room was not exceptional but nice, spacious, and the location was excellent, in the heart of Solvang. The fenced-in porch with the hot tub was not very stylish, reminding me of the assisted living community where my grandmother used to live. But come on, it's a private hot tub, and we did have fun, and I would have given the place an above average review. However...

The included bottle of wine in our room was white-- a Bridlewood Reserve Viognier. My wife and I prefer reds, so we asked the guy at the front desk if it would be possible to get a bottle of red instead. A Pinot, a Cab, whatever. We are not picky people AT ALL. I told him we would be happy to take a less expensive bottle. There were other, cheaper bottles of red from Bridlewood at the honor bar, so it certainly seemed possible. He said he would check on it with his manager, so we left for a couple hours and walked around Solvang, did some shopping and went to two tasting rooms.

When we returned, I asked the guy again about the wine. He had not checked into it. He returned with another woman who pours the wine in the inn. And she was IMMEDIATELY hostile and condescending. She said it simply wasn't possible to change the bottles. When I asked why it was such a problem, and why couldn't we work something out, she said:

"Well you are obviously drunk so it's going to take you longer to understand."

WHAT?!

With this comment she instantly escalated the situation from a 3 to a 10. I had two tastings in over two hours, which added up to around two glasses of wine. Believe me, I was not anywhere close to being "drunk." She continued to treat me with hostility and escalate the argument with aggressive accusations and argument tactics.

I have never been treated that way by someone in the hospitality business, and when you pay over $300 for a one night package, it's ridiculous to be treated that way. I would have gladly paid a little extra for a red wine if an equal or less expensive bottle wasn't available. If she had even answered politely, and said something like, "I'm so sorry, it's a package deal, but I understand it's not your preference... Can I offer you a glass of wine in our restaurant?" I would have been completely satisfied, and probably would have ended up spending more money at their inn and giving the woman a nice tip. That's how hospitality is supposed to work.

I would like the owner and manager of this hotel to ask themselves if the price of subbing out a red wine, any red wine -- or offering some other simple consolation-- would have cost more than the value of me now giving negative reviews on every hotel review site where this hotel is listed, and advising my friends not to stay at this inn. Truly astounding. There are too many fun places to stay in Solvang to deal with this kind of "customer service."

4 Thank Jared H
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a great little place to stay, and right in the heart of Solvang. Perfect for a getaway with friends or a romantic weekend. Service was friendly. Rooms were nicely updated with modern white beds and colored paint, and even had a little fridge which was handy. The lounge area and outdoor area had fireplaces to sit at which was nice. Breakfast was included and it was much more than expected with eggs, sausage, hash browns, waffles, pastries and more. I was impressed with the value of this hotel and would totally stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule to provide us and future guest with your feedback on our Solvang property. We are very much delighted to hear that you found our hotel to your liking and that our free continental breakfast exceeded your expectations. As you saw during your stay at Wine Valley Inn, our free continental breakfast consists of pastries, waffles, cereal, hashbrowns, sausages, eggs, freshly brewed coffee and orange juice. All the rooms are also equipped with an honor bar which include such items as bottled water, soft drinks, snacks and wine. The surrounding area here at Wine Valley is also nice and cozy, and our front desk team members are always at your service. Thank you once more for the wonderful feedback you have on Wine Valley Inn and Cottages.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The Wine Valley Inn and Cottages was a very nice place to stay -- as long as you want to stay in a kitschy, touristy little hamlet like Solvang. The room was very spacious -- a good-sized living room with a small fridge, big bathroom, and a few steps down into a large bedroom area. The room was nicely decorated and quiet, even though the hotel is only a couple of blocks from what Solvang has to offer. They offer a wine-tasting happy hour downstairs with local wines at an OK price with some cheese and crackers. The price was about half of what the other 3-star places nearby were charging.

It was very warm when we were there, so I wished they had a pool but alas, no.

My other pet peeve has nothing to do with the hotel. Solvang is way too touristy for my taste. It's a small town, and I saw all that I was interested in a couple of hours. Next time I want to tour the Santa Ynez Valley, I will probably stay in a different town, maybe San Luis Obispo.

Room Tip: The hotel is off the main strip, so even our room facing the street was quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
We are glad to hear that you decided to stay here at The Wine Valley Inn on your recent visit to beautiful Solvang California. Here at Wine Valley Inn we pride ourselves with great customer and well as with very affordable room rates. We have wine-tasting every afternoon in our lobby which has a beautiful fire place and this lobby in filled with relaxing music. As we saw while at Solvang, the city is a tourist attraction and for that reason you saw many tourists from different parts of the world, not only at Wine Valley, but at the adjacent hotels as well. Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel and we hope to see you next time to visit Solvang California.

San Diego, California
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have stayed here several times and enjoy the property and rooms. I have recommended it to others. However, despite several inquiries in the last two weeks, I have received no reply to my communication to attempt to follow up on a prior reservation and to request a future one. I feel like it would only take a moment to acknowledge my communication and to reply that they cannot assist me and no rooms are available so that is disappointing. I've booked a room at the Halsted this time instead.

1 Thank Indigo S
Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your stay at Wine Valley Inn and thank you for bringing the above issue to our attention. Please know that customer service is our number one priority and we are going to be working really hard on improving the attention that all our valued guests received when they call or visit us personally. Please allow us a few weeks so that you can see all the changes we will make to the way our customers are treated. Our customers are always the priority, and again we are working hard on fixing the issues that you encountered. We hope you will be able to provide us with one more opportunity at staying at The Wine Valley Inn and Cottages during your visit to Solvang.

York,SC
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stay here once per year and really enjoy it. It is delightful, and service is good. Excellent staff, and rooms are great. We've tried lofts, kid rooms with bunks and cottages. All are very nice. Walking distance from everything in Solvang, and near many restaurants and shops. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Town side is brighter, back side quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
We are happy to hear that you are a returning guest and that you have already tried all the room types we offer here at Wine Valley Inn. Yes, we are located in downtown Solvang and every store/shop is within walking distance to the hotel. Thank you for the wonderful comments you have about our team members and as you saw during your most recent visit, we are making small upgrades to the entire property. We hope that of your next visit, you and your family will enjoy all the improvements we have made to Wine Valley Inn and Cottages.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!