Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The Wine Valley Inn and Cottages was a very nice place to stay -- as long as you want to stay in a kitschy, touristy little hamlet like Solvang. The room was very spacious -- a good-sized living room with a small fridge, big bathroom, and a few steps down into a large bedroom area. The room was nicely decorated and quiet, even though the hotel is only a couple of blocks from what Solvang has to offer. They offer a wine-tasting happy hour downstairs with local wines at an OK price with some cheese and crackers. The price was about half of what the other 3-star places nearby were charging.

It was very warm when we were there, so I wished they had a pool but alas, no.

My other pet peeve has nothing to do with the hotel. Solvang is way too touristy for my taste. It's a small town, and I saw all that I was interested in a couple of hours. Next time I want to tour the Santa Ynez Valley, I will probably stay in a different town, maybe San Luis Obispo.

Room Tip: The hotel is off the main strip, so even our room facing the street was quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

We are glad to hear that you decided to stay here at The Wine Valley Inn on your recent visit to beautiful Solvang California. Here at Wine Valley Inn we pride ourselves with great customer and well as with very affordable room rates. We have wine-tasting every afternoon in our lobby which has a beautiful fire place and this lobby in filled with relaxing music. As we saw while at Solvang, the city is a tourist attraction and for that reason you saw many tourists from different parts of the world, not only at Wine Valley, but at the adjacent hotels as well. Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel and we hope to see you next time to visit Solvang California.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have stayed here several times and enjoy the property and rooms. I have recommended it to others. However, despite several inquiries in the last two weeks, I have received no reply to my communication to attempt to follow up on a prior reservation and to request a future one. I feel like it would only take a moment to acknowledge my communication and to reply that they cannot assist me and no rooms are available so that is disappointing. I've booked a room at the Halsted this time instead.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Indigo S

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your stay at Wine Valley Inn and thank you for bringing the above issue to our attention. Please know that customer service is our number one priority and we are going to be working really hard on improving the attention that all our valued guests received when they call or visit us personally. Please allow us a few weeks so that you can see all the changes we will make to the way our customers are treated. Our customers are always the priority, and again we are working hard on fixing the issues that you encountered. We hope you will be able to provide us with one more opportunity at staying at The Wine Valley Inn and Cottages during your visit to Solvang.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stay here once per year and really enjoy it. It is delightful, and service is good. Excellent staff, and rooms are great. We've tried lofts, kid rooms with bunks and cottages. All are very nice. Walking distance from everything in Solvang, and near many restaurants and shops. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Town side is brighter, back side quieter
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

We are happy to hear that you are a returning guest and that you have already tried all the room types we offer here at Wine Valley Inn. Yes, we are located in downtown Solvang and every store/shop is within walking distance to the hotel. Thank you for the wonderful comments you have about our team members and as you saw during your most recent visit, we are making small upgrades to the entire property. We hope that of your next visit, you and your family will enjoy all the improvements we have made to Wine Valley Inn and Cottages.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have stayed here for many years while enjoying wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley. It is in a perfect location for a wine tasting trip. The rooms are a bit dated but the beds are comfortable and the breakfast is good. We like that it is a block off the main road, there is not any noise from traffic. You can easily walk the entire town of Solvang from the hotel. There are lots of wonderful restaurants and we always get some Ebleskiver with raspberry sauce and powdered sugar at the Solvang Resturant.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great because they are off the main road, but we like to stay by the rear parking...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking a moment to provide us and future guest with your experience at the Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. Even though we are located only a few feet away from the main road, traffic noise is not a big issue here at Wine Valley. We are the ideal location for those families or couples that come to the Solvang area on a Wine tasting trip as walking from one winery to the other takes only minutes. Yes, the city of Solvang has many quaint small shops and restaurants that appeal to all tourists.

Kindly,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Staff were friendly and helpful but by their own admission a little pressured by new owners. This didn't show and they remained under to control and smiling. Our room wasn't cleaned when we arrived and we had to go back to reception to ask for soap and shampoo. This arrived along with a cleaner who finished cleaning the room. It didn't bother us but it could've after a long drive.

The wine evening was pleasant albeit slightly strange in a corner of the lounge and very poorly attended by guests. Breakfast was fine and overall I think it represents good value for money. Would I stay their again? No, not because the hotel is bad but because Solvang is the sort of place you'd only visit once. If I had to go back to Solvang I'd book there without a problem.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking a moment out of your busy schedule to provide us with your feedback. And thank you for letting us know about the issue you ran into while checking in. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to you when your room was not ready, please know that we were short staffed during the week you arrive to our property. Thank you for kindly allowing us to finish cleaning your room while you settled. We are happy to know that you enjoyed our free continental breakfast and that you enjoyed your stay at Solvang California.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My good friends decided to get married up in the beautiful town of Sovang and I needed to find a dog friendly hotel for my and my pooch. There are several spots in town, but I settled on the Wine Valley Inn. Over all it is a nice place, great location and they have a variety of room types and styles. Upon my arrival the place give a nice first impression, small town and cozy. The main reason for my stay was to accommodate my dog so I was happy to pay the $50 fee. The room was clean and well appointed even if it is a little country cute, but hey, we are in the cute little town of Solvang so it works. The reason that I gave the WVI less than the top rating was that although I paid for my dog to join me there were no amenities extended to us for him. When I called down, the nice woman at the front desk informed me that they do have doggie bowls, doggie treats, poop bags and maybe a dog bed. I told her that I was fine, but had expected at least something for the additional charge. They had been sold out that entire week and knew which room I was staying in so I was surprised that nothing had been set up. So note to WVI, people's dogs are like their kids. If you can make my dog feel special you have a guest for life!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and future guests with your feedback on your recent stay at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and your dog about not having the room set up so that your dog could have a pleasant stay. A dog bowl should have been delivered to you the moment you informed the front desk about the missing doggie items. This is not how our guest with pets are treated and for that again, we apologize. We hope you can consider staying with us on your next visit to Solvang California.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nights with some friends while attending a wedding. Was a little disappointed in the room. Terribly stained carpet and rotting molding around bathroom door. Also was disappointed that there was no jacuzzi or pool...I should have looked closer when booking. The breakfast that was included had eggs, sausage and such, but the eggs were the freeze dried reconstituted kind...yuk! The ladies at the front desk were very kind and accomodating, however it took forever to get an extra washcloth for crying out loud! Oh and they advertise a wine reception daily in the afternoon...come to find out you have to PAY for your wine at the "cocktail hour"!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking a minute out of your busy schedule to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenienced caused to you during your stay. I will personally take matters into my own hands as what you have described about the room you stayed in, is not of a typical room you will encountered while stay at our property. We are, however, glad to know that our front desk team shined for you with the service that was provided to you, and about the washcloth, since we had ran out of them, a new set of washcloths were been washed and for that reason you saw the delay on them delivering it to your room. We greatly value your comments as they will help us improve in those areas where improvement is needed.

Kindly,