“Cozy getaway!”

Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Super deal! I called to see if they would honor I price I found online & they gave me an even better deal! The front desk was very friendly and let us check in a little earlier. We stayed in a standard chateu room & it was just fine for my friend and I ~clean & comfortable. The room included a mini fridge. The included breakfast was great! I was pleasantly surprised with all the options & the atmosphere of the dining area. We took our hot tea to go and enjoyed a little stroll in the peaceful garden. Koi pond and little waterfalls added a soothing touch. I would definitely come back to this little gem.

• Stayed: March 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,248)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Extremely well-situated but shabby property in the heart of the main shopping, sightseeing and feeding section of town.
Brusque and quirky front desk staff providing minimal support.
The only reason to stay here is for the central location and to pose for photographs in front of the quaint exterior.
Otherwise, the accommodations are to serve penance for your sins with the bed serving as principal flagellation device.

Room Tip: Tower suite not a pleasant experience.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rajamora
Sandra H, General Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

I am genuinely sorry your experience some time ago while staying at Wine Valley Inn was so disappointing. It is my goal to have every guest leave on a positive note which clearly did not happen here. I will share this with my team to ensure we improve our level of customer service to support and recognize this type of situation. In the event we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again please let us know immediately if your guest room has not meet your expectation in which case we certainly would move you to another room based on availability.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had a room on the upper floor, it was in serious need over overhauling. Just sort of old and the mini-fridge ran so much and was so loud, I just unplugged it. The pictures all look so great but it just wasn't what we had hoped for.

We don't normally eat the "free" breakfasts at places like this since there are so many places in town that we like. However, we grabbed a coffee and danish and they were fresh and good. The location is great, within walking distance to everything in town! The staff is helpful too, our room was just not up to par.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience, your comments are important and valuable to me. I am sorry your room was disappointing especially since as a first time visitor you were relying on our web pictures to choose your guestroom. We are making some repairs and upgrades beginning with the entrance, stairs, and deck so I am hopeful upon your return to Wine Valley Inn you will be happy with the improvements over your last stay.

Best Regards

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Small cozy room.... Very Dutch style.... Away from the main street in Solvang (The town has one main street and this is one block parallel..)

For Solvang... I guess during the summer is nice.. February is not a month to visit... town is dead, not too much to do... We stayed there but spend many hours in Sta. Barbara...

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quiet and closer to the parking (which is in the back of the hotel)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Guillermos99
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Casey was at the front desk and he was so helpful and kind. When we needed anything and went to the front desk, he was always pleasant and went out of his way to make sure we were satisfied. The staff was all very nice, and we had a great experience.

Room Tip: stay on the first floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank kerry n
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I recentley visited this hotel on a trip to Slovang with 3 family members. This hotel has a very Dutch layout and appeal. The rooms are quaint but didn't seem to have very many windows. Overall the rooms were pretty nice and they had cool decks with outdoor seating on the first and second floor. The bell went off at random times too which was also annoying. However the location, price, and environment for the location were all good.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 9, 2013

One quick caveat: this is a copy of a review I wrote elsewhere. I stayed at this location last August. Some things may have changed...one hopes for the better!

This place does not seem to understand the concept of "accessible." Maybe they have true accessible rooms on the first floor, but what I wanted was one of the upper level rooms with a fireplace. Now, the elevator only goes to the second floor, not the third. Okay....

I called and spoke to someone over the phone to make a reservation, and explained that sometimes my husband is in a wheelchair, sometimes does a bit better and just needs a cane. I wanted just a queen size bed with fireplace, but was told they only had those on the third floor for the dates we wanted. All right, I upgraded to a king room with fireplace, and was told we would be kept on the second floor.

A week ahead, I became suspicious and called to confirm. Yes, they had us on those dates, king bed, fireplace - on the THIRD floor. I explained the wheelchair/cane issue and the girl promised she would move us back to the second floor and keep us there, which she did.

Well, it was a damn good thing my husband was doing well, because the room would have been impossible with a wheelchair! Two steps down from the hallway to the room. No space in the room for a wheelchair. And, to top it off, not only a step up to the shower in the bathroom, but a step up to the toilet itself. Yes, this is indeed a real "throne", and if you go in there in the dark or first thing in the morning, you are pretty much guaranteed to stub your toes, again and again, thanks to that ridiculous and unnecessary step.

There is a mysterious lack of information in the room. Interested in the drinks in the mini bar or the snacks above the fireplace? You'd better be psychic, because no prices are posted. Want to use the safe? Dial zero to find out how, because it's not the usual number-style safe you find in most hotels, and otherwise you'll be trying to get it to work all night.

And, please, Wine Valley Inn, please BUY SOME BLACKOUT CURTAINS!!!! This place has the old, inefficient sideways blinds that don't fit well, and with lights outside every window, the room doesn't even get close to being dark.

Some good things: this is on Copenhagen, not on Mission like many Solvang hotels, so it is much quieter than many places. The fireplace was romantic and enjoyable. Good location to walk to most places in Solvang. Plenty of parking in the front and back lots, with a public parking lot next door. The shower is great - if you're under 6 feet tall. (Any taller, and thanks to the weird bathroom layout, you'll be stooping over.) Only had the free breakfast on the last day, but it was pretty decent overall.

I've only stayed in Solvang once before, and that was just overnight at a motel with no pretensions whatsoever, so I think I expected more out of a supposed "boutique" hotel. It definitely was not worth the money we paid, and next time we go back to Solvang, I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple