“Don't come if you want service with a smile”

Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
El Segundo, California, United States
“Don't come if you want service with a smile”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My new husband and I wanted nothing more than to love this place, I had come here before and had a great experience. But after moving rooms four times because of various disappointments-

-Broken curtains so you can see straight into the room
-Black long hairs on the sheets
-Broken jacuzzi
-Broken television

we were just thrilled to have gotten a nicer room for the same price- until we continued to have problems. We asked for a wine tour booked the following day one which they described to be in a limo with one other couple. The next morning I asked if this was done and it was not, but someone took care of it. NO APOLOGY. We show up for the wine tour and its not at all as described unless you consider a car a limo and one other couple to be four couples.

We got over all of this, until we returned from the wine tour to find my fiancé's family moose mug broken with a note next to it asking how much it was. When I went to the front desk they just said we don't take care of your personal property. It can't be replaced and cost isn't our concern but it would have been nice to have felt important enough to get an apology.

And thats it folks. I think if you have no expectations this place is clean and great but we were looking for a place to come back every year on our anniversary and we are cutting our trip short to get to another hotel as soon as possible.

2 Thank Laura C
Sandra H, General Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Wine Valley Inn, I am very sorry we fell short on a variety of maintenance issues and very concerned our customer service did not meet either of our expectations. Since your stay the cottage Jacuzzi is again in perfect condition and all other issues have been corrected. As was addressed at check-out it was my pleasure to provide you a complimentary wine tour due to our booking error. Lastly, on behalf of my housekeeping staff, I would like to extend my sincere apology for accidentally breaking your cup while cleaning your cottage, and although I cannot replace a family gift, I would like to replace the mug. I will follow up with you personally and it is my hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Sandra Hallmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Redondo Beach
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and have been coming on and off to the Wine Valley Inn for the last 8 years. We just stayed there this past weekend (October 12) and we got a great room (King). It was the perfect size and easy walk to the back parking lot where our car was parked. The only one thing they need to do is clean their bathroom window sills a bit better. There were egg droppings of some bug all spread out the sill and it was a bit gross.
Breakfast was good - sausage, eggs and so on.
The hotel is also perfectly situated - you can walk everywhere.
We will be back :)

1 Thank PoopiRedondoBeach
Aliso Viejo
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed there on our way to the central coast and had a really good experience. I booked a normal room but when I checked in, the guy at the front desk gave us an upgrade since we have a 1 year old. We ended up in one of the cottages and it was really comfortable and we were really pleased with our stay. The free breakfast is nothing to write home about, but it was really convenient (especially with our baby) and it was a welcomed finish to our stay.

The property looks nice and it's right in near the heart of the small town. I read though some of the other reviews before I booked a trip and it seems like most people that had problems were with the normal rooms. We don't have any plans to go that way anytime soon, but I would stay there again and I would book the cottage next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SCEvan
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Waited many years to come to Solvang and arrived during an evening when the town was lit up with twinkling lights. A fairytale place. We booked the hotel from recommendations on Tripadvisor and weren't disappointed. From our warm welcome at reception to our wonderful room with loft bedroom. This particular type of room may not suit everybody as the bathroom is downstairs off the living room but there are other types of room to book. Great Gilchrist & Soames amenities which were replenished everyday plus a fridge with soft drinks and water in the room. There were also good selections of nibbles and bottles of wine which are supplied on the honour system in your room. Rooms are large clean and comfortable. Wine and cheese served during late afternoon and the breakfast included with our price was wonderful. Scrambled egg, breakfast pattie and potatoes, fresh fruit, pastries, toast and juices. Reception was a fountain of knowledge with places to visit and to eat. I could go on for ever. Just stay there and see for yourself.

Room Tip: If you need one level make sure you book the correct type of room.
1 Thank marks611
wine valley inn, Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for all of your compliments! We strive to exceed all expectations in both customer service and guest experience. Thank you for acknowledging our welcoming Front Desk hosts and cleanliness in your guest room. We look foward to serving you as our guest if your travel plans take you through beautiful Solvang in the Santa Ynez Valley in the future.

Casey Klein
Assistant Manager
Wine Valley Inn
Encinitas, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

At time of check-in, the desk person was unwelcoming and set the mood for our stay. Even though the wine reception was shown to be $3.00 on the website, we were charged $5.50, then later told there was no record of our payment. The room itself was similar to the web picture, as was the bathroom. However, due to the attitude ans quality of the service we would hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robin K
Long Beach, California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I've never written a review of anything in my life, but after spending a night at Wine Valley Inn I feel compelled to do so. My girlfriend and I spent one night at Wine Valley Inn in August. One night too many, as it turns out. I booked a deluxe room on the third floor for $150. "One of our nicest rooms," the girl on the phone assured me, "it's the one pictured on the website." "Great!," I told her, "my girlfriend wants to stay at a different hotel but I assured her I that your hotel would be a better choice."

Well, I should have listened to my girlfriend. I didn't mind the climb up the stairs to the third floor (no elevator), or navigating the maze of catwalks to get the to room ("rather quaint and charming," I thought). But when we finally made it to our room and opened the door, "quaint and charming" started to feel much more like "tacky and cheap." The carpet in our room was stained and in need of a thorough cleaning. The walls were dirty and in need of some fresh paint. I had to bend over getting in and out of the bed to keep from banging my head on the ceiling. The refrigerator made strange noises and I ended up having to unplug it. The air conditioner made strange noises and I ended up having to unplug it.

In short, the room was not even close to what I expected. Not even close. My girlfriend was very gracious about it but I was embarrassed. Let's just say that the room left us both feeling somewhat less than "romantic." Breakfast in the morning was a slight improvement but nothing special. And the carpet in the lobby was dirty. Baffling.

To sum it up, Wine Valley Inn is "nothing special."

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dan b
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Comfortable beds. Coffeemaker. Room was stocked with cold soda plus two bottles of wine and small bottles of Jim Beam, tequila, and vodka; also snacks such as M&Ms and Pringles. This inn is at the end of Copenhagen Street so the surroundings are very quiet. Grounds are meticulously maintained. The outdoor patio is a peaceful place to relax with a book and a cup of coffee. Restaurants, shops, wine tastings are all within a short walk. The breakfast included hot foods (waffles, sausage) as well as cereal, toast, yogurt, and juice. The staff was professional and friendly. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 40. It's on the second floor, right next to the staircase that leads down to t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!