“One Night Stay”

Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed December 19, 2011

A nice place to stay for one night or two weeks. It has all the comforts of home, beautifully designed and decorated with founatins and streams running through the center of the courtyard. The very friendly and helpful staff went above and beyond to assure us a wonderful stay at this quaint Dutch Inn. We will definetly return to stay with them longer.

Room Tip: It has a variety of room selections including individual cottages. We had a standard room with a fir...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Wine Valley Inn while we were in Solvang celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The staff made us feel completely welcome, our room was clean and spacious, and breakfast was plentiful, delicious and well presented. The lobby was warm and inviting, as well as relaxing. Sandra Hallmann, General Manager, and her entire staff were extremely helpful, friendly and courteous. Everyone made our anniversary a very special and romantic experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Recently we had five different rooms reserved for our son's wedding reception in Los Olivos. The desk attendants were exceptionally nice and helpful. Every person we interacted with, from the front desk, to the breakfast room attendant, to cleaning people were kind and polite. This place is so charming! The sitting room is beautiful and inviting, and the breakfast food was great. I will definitely return!

Room Tip: The rooms with the single beds were prettier. The cottages look amazing.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2011

They have great pictures of a jacuzzi... we got there and they informed me that it was only for cottage suites. One of the main reasons we chose this place was for the jacuzzi! We showed up 30 minutes before official checkin and they didn't have a room available. Ok, fine, but the attitude of the lady behind the desk was off-putting. I put in my request for a king bed, then my girlfriend and I came back an hour later. All they had was a queen bed. They gave away all the king beds during the hour we were gone. A decent hotel would have set a king bed aside for us. Again, no concern for me as the customer. My girlfriend is a light sleeper, so a queen bed is a challenge for her to get a good nights sleep. I let the lady behind the desk know and asked if they had any roll-aways. The lady behind the desk again, showed no concern for our special need and gave us attitude. The wi-fi reception was sub par. I had to stand outside the room to get wi-fi. The next morning we wanted to get breakfast so we asked for a late checkout by one hour. The lady behind the desk was again unaccomodating and told me they could not give me a late checkout. I paid good money for a lackluster experience. When I told the lady in the morning that I would not be staying there again because of the poor service and the lady behind the desk apologized and didn't offer any compensation whatsoever.

Room Tip: If you book through a third party, call the hotel about 30 minutes after to secure a king bed.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
wine valley inn, General Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2011

Dear Mr. M.

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to speak to me personally, I am truly sorry you did not have the same experience most of our guests do. We will work with our team to ensure these issues are corrected and your next stay with us will be the memorable and welcoming stay Wine Valley Inn is known for. If I can be of further assistance to you, please contact me at 805-688-2111 or through my e-mail gm@winevalleyinn.com.

Sandra Hallmann, General Manager
Wine Valley Inn

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We found the Wine Valley Inn by accident on the internet. We originally booked a Monday - Friday to do a "Sideways" trip for my 50th birthday. Because of airplane problems we were stuck in Phoenix for 12 hours and didn't get into Santa Barbara until midnite. Called the Wine Valley Inn and got Christina. Explained the situation. Unbelievable! She changed our booking to a Tuesday - Friday. Didn't charge us for the Monday. No penalty charges for the Monday no show. When we got there Tuesday morning to check-in, she upgraded us from a Deluxe King to a Junior Suite just because of the way our vacation had started. Handed us a packet of deals and coupons for shopping and wine tasting. What a great room. King size bed, fireplace, beautiful bathroom, step down sitting room, new flat screens and nice furnishings. The Wine Valley Inn has such a charm to it. Located on a quite stretch of Copenhagen Drive, we were out the door and right there at all the shopping, eating and wine tasting. There is an outdoor fireplace where we sat a couple of evenings, and enjoyed a bottle of wine. Relaxing! They have a very nice continental breakfast in the morning and a very nice cocktail hour every evening, and the roaring indoor fireplace adds to the charm. Any time we saw any staff while heading out, coming back, walking around or sitting enjoying a glass of wine . . . smiling, friendly, courteous, respectful! Unbelievable Staff. Fantastic place to stay. This place is what relaxing is all about. They set the bar high enough where it would be hard for us to look any place else when we go back to Solvang. You can't go wrong staying at the Wine Valley Inn. We highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I chose this hotel because of its location - out of town visitors wanted to stay in Solvang. The location was fine, easy walking access the shopping area and restaurants. Ample parking. We stayed in junior suites which were roomy but a bit funky in the lay out. My biggest complaint is the floors - All charm was lost on me when I discovered a huge ball of hair on top of the shower drain, and then found that same type of hair all over the bathroom floor. The carpet in the bedroom was beyond worn, it was dirty and actually felt filthy underfoot. We had to ask for additional towels and soap, they didn't leave us full sets. Breakfast was minimal but adequate, nothing remarkable. We did try out the house wine serving near the lobby, there wasn't enough room for us to sit so we took it to our room. The server didn't know much about what she was pouring so we took our chances with our choice of purchase. Lighting in the room was dim. I'm usually one to give the benefit of the doubt to hotels but overall I was disappointed with this place and would not recommend.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank socaltripster
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This hotel was quaint, had a breakfast included and my standard room was clean and close to shopping and restaurants downtown. What more could I ask for?! The staff was very nice. Beautiful time in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family