“Mixture of old and new”

Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you are looking for a nice hotel in Solana Beach within walking distance of the Amtrak train station, this is a good choice. A lot has been done to spruce up the lobby and interior courtyard. The outdoor patio with comfortable chairs and a fireplace provides a nice touch for the evenings. They also added a Bistro in the courtyard which has an interesting menu, but the food was hit-or-miss. The rooms themselves are reasonable, but they obviously didn't get the makeover the lobby did. Still, everyone there was very nice and helpful and there are tons of great shops and restaurants with walking distance. Because of the condos behind it, reaching the beach is a bit of an effort, but still walkable. It's also located a couple of blocks from the Cedros Avenue Design District with a hundred different design, jewelry, furniture, garden and other assorted furnishings stores. We spent several hours going from store to store and really enjoyed the eclectic and often unique offerings.

Room Tip: Stay in the back away from the main street if you want some quiet

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for five nights on a short vacation. The first night we were in a room on the back side of the hotel on a residential street. All was o.k. until around 6:00 a.m. when traffic started up and it became noisy. We were moved to a room overlooking the courtyard which was nice. Overall the room was good except the air conditioner turns on and off all night and is a little loud. No way to keep the fan on all the time. The other thing was that they have a nice area with couches in inthe courtyard with a fireplace. The down side is that people sit there and talk loudly, sometimes until 2:00 a.m. It was a pretty nice place, but I think next time we will stay at the Holiday Inn Express next door where we have stayed before. Not as fancy, but quieter.

Room Tip: Stay away from the back street and the couch/fireplace in the courtyard.
1  Thank Onthebeachgene
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I used this hotel before during a cooler down season, so I never noticed its problem with AC or thin wall before, but this time, when I used AC for the first time, my lord!! the AC resembled boom box! Also the wall was so thin that you can hear your next door tenant yawning (not kidding). The wost part, I woke up finding my hand, leg, and eyes swollen. It looks like spider bite, but I am not 100% sure. I complained to the front desk, and the only thing I got was... "we are sorry".
However, with all fairness. The staff there are very nice. Most of the time, they really try to be helpful. Also the proximity to the beach is a big plus.
I am not sure if I will use this place again during peak season, but for a cooler time, may not be a bad choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelingRedPanda
Josh L, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Greetings,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach/Del Mar. We truly appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding your overall experience at our hotel. As I read in detail, I understand that we have some areas for improvement. We sincerely apologize for not receiving the experience you deserve as a valued guest in our hotel. I assure you that our intention is to provide a flawless experience each and every visit and we are committed to ensuring a problem-free stay in the future. Your loyalty is so valuable to our organization and I hope to see you back in the future. If I may be of any assistance, please feel free to reach out to me directly. Thank you for choosing Marriott and have a great week.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I booked our room at The Courtyard Marriott on their website. I asked for a basic King-bed room on the second floor. When we checked in on Tuesday October 1, we were told the second floor was sold out. I was not happy. I purposely made this reservation on the Marriott website, (instead of a discount site) because I was willing to pay for choices. The hotel should have offered some kind of compensation since they were unable to honor my extremely basic request. Providing a second floor room in a two story property is not an outlandish task.

Our room on the first floor was next to a neighboring business building parking lot (ugly). The air conditioner was NOT left on, so our room was stuffy and hot. Our own home is located in a dry, hot, climate (110 degrees), so we were looking forward to relaxing in an AIR CONDITIONED hotel room, prior to our anniversary dinner. Instead we had to wait an hour for the room to cool down.

The room was small and dark. The bathroom facilities were fine, but nothing special.

The pros? Free parking. In the Del Mar-Solana Beach-Encinitas areas, parking is a rare commodity. Free Wi-Fi. This property is centrally located between the track, the beaches, the big parks, and the freeways.

Overall, this hotel felt like a motor-inn, which is fine when I am paying $50-$75 for a room. But at $160 a night? For $160 I want my simple request honored or compensated, and an air conditioned room. Their level of service was unacceptable. We will not stay there again and will not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: None, the hotel will not accommodate the request, nor will they compensate for a request they are un...
1  Thank DagneyT

Greetings,

Thank you so much for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Solana Beach hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to provide candid feedback about your experience during your stay. As I read the details of your experience, I can see how your stay was not as comfortable as you expected it to be. We truly apologize for not accommodating you as expected. I believe that you deserved all requests regarding room placement and room type. Our ultimate goal is to ensure that all guest requests are fulfilled each and every day, that’s truly what allows us to improve. I have shared your comments with all departments in order to devise a better plan of action for fulfilling requests and handling the concerns that you have mentioned. I will make myself available in the future if I can assist with any specific requests, should you choose to stay with us again. Thank you in advance for your loyalty and we hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The mattress in our room ( king) was very soft and every movement made the whole bed shake. Next day we were both tired (lack of sleep) and had back pain. It was late when we returned to our room to sleep and that's the only thing that kept us from checking out and trying to find a better room. We didn't realize the Holiday Inn Express was just a few doors down and would have been a great improvement. So I would have had to pay both places but believe me it would have been worth it. No more Courtyards for us. We plan to travel up the entire California coast, staying a day or two in small coastal communities. We have the funding, time and health. No time for lousy mattress.

Room Tip: If you want a comfortable nights sleep find a place with quality mattress.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Retiredtravler
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on a short trip coming from the Coachella Music and Arts Festival in Indio, CA and I was also attending a gig at the Belly Up Tavern on Cedros Avenue so the location was very convenient. Upon arrival the receptionist was cheery and check-in was pretty much instant.

I had a rental car so I also needed the free parking which was below the hotel. You enter to the left of the building, and when you've parked you can take the stairs of elevator up to reception. They also lock the parking late at night so you have to unlock it using the keypad (pass code given to you upon check-in).

This place has free wi-fi which I found pretty fast and I even used it to upload a few videos from my trip. The room I had was spacious with a couch, desk, tv, massive comfortable bed. The bathroom is alright, nothing bad though it took me a while to work out how to turn the shower to give hot water (self fault). I believe I requested a high floor so there wasn't any noise from the maids. My room was a fair bit of walk away from the elevator but it's not something I worry too much about. There were plenty of vending machines scattered around the hotel for drinks and snack, though there was one that didn't seem to be working at the time.

The only thing I didn't like were the curtains since opening or closing them made a really loud screeching noise, but it wasn't really a big deal anyway. I didn't really get much time to explore the area but if I do come back this would be my hotel of choice. All in all, a comfortable place to sleep.

Room Tip: Grab a high floor room to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is an approximate 20 year old property, right on “the 101,” good beach location and proximity to the action, parking is underground. There’s a nice pool in the center of the structure, nicely landscaped. As in all Marriott Courtyard’s don’t expect free breakfast, they don’t offer it chain-wide. This CY has the newer Bistro concept in a separate building near the pool, offering breakfast, sandwiches, wine & beer. The rooms were on the older side, somewhat comfortable, I had a first floor suite which included a hot tub but did not include the energetic earwig I saw crawling on the bath floor. I’m not saying the hotel is bug ridden, just that I had an unexpected guest, could be an anomaly. There is a nice cove beach, 5-10 minute walk where there is volleyball and an apparent haven to run dogs in and around the shallow waters. There is also a much more scenic cliff beach, same short walk, some steep steps to access it. If you’re a runner, just take a right out of the hotel and you can run a good two miles, I encountered many other runners along this path. Two restaurant choices within walking distance- one is Brigantine which is pricey seafood (upper $20’s). They have a menu at the front desk but don’t be fooled- the prices on it are way outdated and was disappointed to find it so pricey. Instead, try next door, an Italian place called Parioli which is run by two Italian brothers. Very good prices and superb food with a café atmosphere. Lodging prices tend to be high but I went in August so I would expect prices to drop off season. Overall a decent choice, certainly not above average but does have a good location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Been to Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach? Share your experiences!