“Loved our get-away week-end”

Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Loved our get-away week-end”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Went to Del Mar for one day at the races but mostly to just get away for a couple days. At the Courtyard by Marriott we were so close to everything and took walks along the beach also. Lobby is wonderful; restaurant is in back around pool for breakfast, salads/ sandwiches for lunch- and drinks at night. Beautiful pool and hot tub with outside fire place. Very comfortable furniture while having your margarita drink looking at the moon. Staff is extremely accommodating, especially Kevin and Jaimie at the front desk. Behind hotel is Sierra Ave. which leads to beach access called Fletcher's Cove. Walk on the beach is fabulous with no huge steps to climb! We drove there and found easy parking, but one could walk there also. Del Mar itself is fabulous with great restaurants like Stanford Court Cafe. Walk on the beach here also--especially nice for families. Jake's is a great restaurant right on the ocean. Loved our get-away! Marriott was very special with whirlpool bath tub if you like that. Other rooms available without tub but just as nice!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have balcony over pool. Lower floor has outdoor sliding patio door and chair...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I love the courtyard of this hotel, its a fantastic breakfast sitting out by the pool and enjoy the great SD temp. Downside is the mattresses are terrible, rooms are a bit dark, The service is friendly and the price is right, nice place to go for a morning jog.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Family of 4 on a day trip to san diego from LA,we got the freeway blues on our way back and randomly exited at Solana beach.The town is wonderful ,we had a pleasant dinner at the california pizza kitchen nearby.There is a nice semi pedestrian shopping street with galleries and boutiques called Cedros avenue which is worth a saunter.
At the Courtyard Marriott we arrived without a reservation but they had a decent 2 queens beds room on the ground floor near the pool.They quoted $189 at first but after a little "pressure" they knocked it down to $169 + tax which was fair enough.
The down side was the hotel does not have a complimentary breakfast as did most of the hotels in our trip.They do have a starbucks concessionaire on site who serves breakfats but at full cost,a fact that was not pointed out to us by reception the night before.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the ground floor pool side - might be more convenient for the kids but if u r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
N. Hollywood, CA
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Enjoyed this room due to we were upgraded to a suite next to the pool for being platinum members and what a great room! Older model style that was cleaned up and nice. Loved that I could open my door and be next to the pool. Newer patio furniture and I loved the lounges cause they are bigger. This had alot of families with kids in the pool, but it was fine, cause not over crowded. Nice little place next to the pool that you can get food and starbucks coffee drinks. I love a latte in the morning. The beach is a short walk away, but you must walk down alot of steps. Great for a relaxing stroll on the beach or a dip in the ocean, but alot of seaweeds in the surf. The hotel offers a free shuttle to Del Mar which is a short 5 minutes trip. Great service and food places on both sides of the hotel to eat. We never had to drive anywhere. I really enjoyed my stay at the courtyard. I would go back again. Fun weekend at Del Mar, beach & pool.

Room Tip: Room 106 is next to the pool with a jacuzzi tub in the room (King bed). I would recommend rooms on t...
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great hotel and staff. The only complaint that I have is the beach location. Takes about 15 minutes to get the beach. Long steps for beach access. The beach needs a good cleaning. The hotel is great staff is awesome. Other hotels should take examples from this hotel.

Room Tip: Beach is not that clean.
1 Thank njdrum
Memphis
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Keep this to yourself, OK? The San Diego area can be hard to decipher but we choose to be in the North County rather than downtown. Each are has it's flavor but we like the north coast beaches. Access is easy from the Courtyard location. Dog Beach is so, so much fun right at the base of Via De La Valle.
We spent years in north county as homeowner's and went to the Del Mar Fair for events which is within walking distance. The beauty of the location is being close to the the best beach in San Diego. Obviously, you gave to be aware of the weather conditions which have known to be foggy all summer which means from "The May Grey" to " "The June Gloom" as the desert heats up and draws in the fog. This facility is not luxurious and has no real upgrades that I can recognize. Tip, the restaurants next door are excellent! The authentic Italian restaurant next door is delicious and the Thai restaurant south is worth visiting just south of the hotel. our favorite area to walk to is easy to get to. Solana Beach has an amazing district called Cedros Street. You can catch Amtrack and go downtown from Cedros and Lomas Santa Fe intersection. Our favorite lunch, breakfast spot is Zinc Cafe across from Adventure 16. They have the best coffee and food which is basically an outdoor cafe frequented by locals.

• Stayed July 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I recently spent five nights on business at the Courtyard Solana Beach. I initially planned for four nights, but became ill on my flight and called upon landing in San Diego and asked if I could check in a day early to rest. The staff were wonderful and accomodating and provided me with a quieter room away from the pool and noise, which I greatly appreciated. The front desk staff were terrific throughout my stay.

My room was spacious and comfortable and I enjoyed the Bistro as well (but do wish they would open at 6 every day instead of 7 - I was not the only one trying to get breakfast early, as those of us from eastern time zones have body clocks ahead of PST. The staff did let me in early one morning to do work on my laptop before they started serving, which I appreciated.

Parking is plentiful and the location was terrific. Unfortunately, AT&T cell service did not work in the room, which limited my ability to work on the trip (not an entirely bad thing, but I missed two appointments because not even text messages would go through). It's not Marriott's fault by any means, but it is noteworthy to point out to business travelers who rely on cell coverage for work. It unfortunately means that I will probaby have to select another hotel on my return trip to the area.

I wish the location would not have replaced used bars of soap with new, packaged bars. I have no trouble using soap I personally opened the day before and consider it a waste to provide new ones. Some days this happened, some didn't - it must depend on the housekeeping staff.

Speaking of housekeeping staff, I noticed when I checked in that the room's clock was set for 2 hours and 15 minutes off. I have a hate relationship with hotel alarm clocks and avoid trying to program them or set alarms, so I simply left a note for the housekeeping to please fix the clock. The note sat there for five days with no adjustment to the clock (I had an ipad for my alarm, so I didn't need it and decided to wait to see if housekeeping fulfilled the request - and decided a tip would depend on it). "Please fix clock" was easy to understand and I moved it around the room on various days. Putting it on the clock did not work, nor did putting it on the pillow. Each day at the beginning, the remote control would be moved from wherever it was in the room to the bottom center of the TV, so on the last day of needing housekeeping, I put the note in the bottom center of the television - at which point the remote was left on the nightstand and the note remained in place. I'm usually a very generous tipper to housekeeping staff, but didn't leave anything on this trip. It became a game in the beginning, but I was aggravated by the end.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool if you want quiet; I would not have wanted to be further up and cl...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea

Been to Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach? Share your experiences!