“I don't get it”

Dining options: Late Night
San Diego
“I don't get it”
Reviewed March 22, 2007

Honestly, I'm surprised to see so many positive reviews for this restaurant. This is the second time I've been and both times the service was absolutely awful. The first time we sat around waiting for our food forever and ended up cancelling most of the order. This time, I went for a group dinner and we waiting over an hour for the first set of rolls to come out. Each item was brought out separately so most people had to wait around more while others got ot eat. The waiter seemed stressed the whole time and ended up handling the bill wrong. I am fine spending a bit more for quality sushi but I was unimpressed by their food- I spent $100 but left starving!

San Diego
“Good Food Good Times!”
Reviewed February 6, 2005

We arrived at the retaurant as it opened for dinner at 5:00pm with reservations at 5:30. Myself and my SWEETHEART were impressed by the recent remodel, the bar area is very nice with dark tones and cool lighting. They have a smaller sunken dining room next to the bar with the main dining room(and a private Tatami room) with 3 very capable sushi chefs behind a 30 seat sushi bar. We were awaiting two friends, and while perusing the menu noticed some happy hour specials, spicy tuna,calif or salmon skin rolls for 3$ and large Sapporo $4.50 or large Sake for $5. We were hungry and decided to get a spicy tuna roll and a large Sapporo while we waited. The spicy tuna was very good and had a nice spicyness that kept lingering after you swallowed it. Mr. Nobu was watching Golf on the plasma TV at the bar next us and was very gracious. Our friends showed up and they followed our lead and ordered the same. We then opted to take our booth and get on with the main meal. We tried the baked dynamite, it had too many mushrooms and wasn't as spicy as I had hoped, not bad though. I decided to get down to business and order the sushi we'd been craving. The maguro was good, I liked the albacore toro, the yellowtail(hamachi) was great ,the unagi was big but not very memorable.Fresh Sake was good. I had the uni (sea urchin)and that was very good. Overall I'd give the look of the restaurant a 10, the service is a 8.5 and the sushi was an 8.We had a great time, but the reigning king of the ultimate sushi in SD county is still Sushi Ota.

2 Thank Stickbreaker
TN
“You will be a customer for life”
Reviewed January 20, 2005

I found this restaurant driving by when I moved to California five years ago from the east coast and have been a loyal and frequent customer ever since. The one word that I can say to best sum up NOBU is "fresh". The quality of the fish that is used here is premium to say the least. There is always a huge selection of 'not on the menu' offerings that are worth their weight in gold. Everyone should start out with an order of spicy squid (cooked appetizer). My husband and I are huge fans of the fresh albacore, toro, special hamachi and salmon (ask for the onion!). Psycho scallop rolls and tataki rolls are also outstanding as are any of the delicious hand rolls. Our recommendation is to grab a seat at the sushi bar (all of the chefs are amazing but we love Nobu and Ike) and just dive in. The chefs are so entertaining and warm and the environment at the bar is conducive to chatting up some new friends.
The only word of caution that we would have is that everything is so great that you lose track of just how much you ate....until you get the bill. We feel that the quality is worth the price but be prepared to plunk down about $100 per couple for dinner. This is the kind of food that you will crave once you leave and most of our out-of-town guests will ask to come here on every visit. We have eaten at some of the fanciest sushi restaurants in every major US city and somehow, find them lacking when compared to NOBU. If you're all about good fish, this is your place.

3 Thank ann&george