“The best sushi I have ever had”
Review of Nobu Gourmet - CLOSED

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I love this place. If you go, sit with Yagi. The fish is always delicious and fresh, consistently good. A word of caution - this is a sole proprietorship (owned by a guy, not a corporation) and as such, the dining room I think was probably decorated by Nobu's wife (definately not a professional interior designer.) Also, if you want a massive amount of food with a mayonaisse sauce on top, this is not your place. Just fresh fish.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Del Mar, California
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Nobu is overpriced and portions are very small. Good quality but just down the street is Station Sushi which is infinitely better.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 30, 2008

We ate here last weekend after I searched the web for a good sushi place in the area. First the bad stuff: The location, being in a shopping center next to a drug store doesn't help you get in the mood. The bathroom was very unclean. The interior could use some help as it doesn't quite have a clean hip feel to it. The romantic area by the fireplace is basically two old couches from a tag sale, I wouldn't sit on them. The waitress, although nice, had pretty bad smokers breath and that grossed us out a bit. The portions are very small, didn't know it was possible to slice sushi so thin.

The good things, well it was average sushi that seemed fresh and they had a good variety of fish available. The cooked Cod was good too.

I would not return as for the price it wasn't what we expected.

Reviewed March 22, 2007

Honestly, I'm surprised to see so many positive reviews for this restaurant. This is the second time I've been and both times the service was absolutely awful. The first time we sat around waiting for our food forever and ended up cancelling most of the order. This time, I went for a group dinner and we waiting over an hour for the first set of rolls to come out. Each item was brought out separately so most people had to wait around more while others got ot eat. The waiter seemed stressed the whole time and ended up handling the bill wrong. I am fine spending a bit more for quality sushi but I was unimpressed by their food- I spent $100 but left starving!

Reviewed February 6, 2005

We arrived at the retaurant as it opened for dinner at 5:00pm with reservations at 5:30. Myself and my SWEETHEART were impressed by the recent remodel, the bar area is very nice with dark tones and cool lighting. They have a smaller sunken dining room next to the bar with the main dining room(and a private Tatami room) with 3 very capable sushi chefs behind a 30 seat sushi bar. We were awaiting two friends, and while perusing the menu noticed some happy hour specials, spicy tuna,calif or salmon skin rolls for 3$ and large Sapporo $4.50 or large Sake for $5. We were hungry and decided to get a spicy tuna roll and a large Sapporo while we waited. The spicy tuna was very good and had a nice spicyness that kept lingering after you swallowed it. Mr. Nobu was watching Golf on the plasma TV at the bar next us and was very gracious. Our friends showed up and they followed our lead and ordered the same. We then opted to take our booth and get on with the main meal. We tried the baked dynamite, it had too many mushrooms and wasn't as spicy as I had hoped, not bad though. I decided to get down to business and order the sushi we'd been craving. The maguro was good, I liked the albacore toro, the yellowtail(hamachi) was great ,the unagi was big but not very memorable.Fresh Sake was good. I had the uni (sea urchin)and that was very good. Overall I'd give the look of the restaurant a 10, the service is a 8.5 and the sushi was an 8.We had a great time, but the reigning king of the ultimate sushi in SD county is still Sushi Ota.

2  Thank Stickbreaker