“Mexican standby”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I always get the tostada suprema so I can eat my salad while scarfing down lots of saturated fat in the guac and sour cream. Speedy service, cheerful atmosphere, and a very comfortable patio when the weather cooperates.

1  Thank ManOLaJolla

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I may have moved across the country, but I will go out of my way to go to Fidels! Even though my trip was to Los Angeles, I drove the 1.5 hours to get some real Mexican food at my favorite southern California restaurant. The chicken and rice soup is amazing! The setting is in a relaxed setting, and the service is fantastic. If you are in southern California, you need to plan a trip to Fidel's. It may seem like a long drive from downtown San Diego, but you need to make the trip out to Solana Beach and experience this great place and then cruise down to the beach.

If you are in town for lunch, you can't beat the lunch special which includes a margarita, rice & beans and an entree for less than $11.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Before ordering my friend let our server know she had an allergy with tomato, so our server (Luz) skillfully guided her through the menu items that did not have tomato. When my friend inquired about the chicken cilantro soup, she was informed that the soup came w/rice, which is made with tomatoes, but it could be left out of the soup. So my friend got her soup w/o rice and loved every sip of it!. I ordered the soup of the day (jalapeno, chicken, veggie in a clear broth - tasty!) Our server was so thorough and helpful and made it happen. We continued with the avocado tostada - quite tasty. We topped off our non-working lunch with margaritas made with real lime juice (not mix), and I must say they were very TASTY :-)

It must be thirty years (at least) since I last stepped into this Eden Garden's location and I can certainly see why this place is still in business! It is a great place to eat. With its quirky ambiance, dedicated and attentive waitstaff (hosts and bartenders included) it is a great experience. They know what they are doing and how to do it.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Excellent Mexican food, fantastic guacamole, and attentive service are the hallmarks of this iconic restaurant in Eden Gardens. Plenty of parking, plenty of seating and plenty of chips and salsa, and convenient pricing.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I decided to take our 3 girls to San Diego for the weekend, and while cruising Solana Beach we ended up at Fidel's "Little Mexico" restaurant. (I had been here many, many years ago when living in Carlsbad, just north on "the 5".)

If all you get is the Chicken and Rice with Cilantro and Avocado soup, you'll understand the excellent rating. Order the large... and share if you must! It comes in a huge bowl, on a plate with some fresh chips w/ baked-on cheese, and two 8" home made flour tortillas kept warm wrapped in aluminum foils hot enough to toast your fingers 15 minutes into your soup... oh yeah! If you've read any of my reviews on soups... the cardinal sin is not serving it piping hot (except for those that are supposed to be served chilled...); not only was the soup piping but the tortillas as well!

We also had basics like my fourteen year-old had a beef taco lunch, and my wife had carne asada, and I ventured out a bit more with crab enchilada... and I'm pretty sure mine was the favorite. The margarita on ice was stellar as was my wife's frozen strawberry marg.

No way could we even look at the dessert menu... too bad... well, these is always next time! If you are anywhere in the San Diego area from Oceanside on down... make a trip to Fidel's and have the soup... it'll do you lots of good, especially on chilly evenings!

1  Thank changrcc