“A favorite for decades!”
Review of Fidel's

Fidel's
Ranked #8 of 76 Restaurants in Solana Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My brother first brought me here in 1980. He loves the chili rellenos. Our family comes from all over the country - the midwest, southwest, and as far away as Alaska - and we make a point of eating here. The margaritas are great, the chips 'n salsa haven't changed in 30 years, if I'm not mistaken. In fact, I think the food has been the same all these years and it is delicious. I never get tired of eating here. My son is crazy for the tortilla soup. I love the tostada suprema. And my brother is right about the chili rellenos. They are by far the best chili rellenos I have ever had. ¡Salud!

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Food is good - restaurant is usually crowded. I like their chicken and rice soup and they do a mean fajita. Sometimes feel we have been lost in the crowd - difficult to get service, however on the whole this one is worth a visit.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

Friendly service & the food & beverage were excellent.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

I have been going to Fidela over twenty years. The food and service is first rate. It can be very crowded so call ahead. Traditional Mexican favorites and giant portions.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

My buddy and I had lunch yesterday at Fidel's. He is a native from San Diego and lived here all his life but had never been here. He heard some good feedback on the place so we decided to have lunch there yesterday.

The location is really good and they have plenty of parking in front and on the side of the restaurant. It's in a charming house that reminds me of a typical restaurant when I go to Mexico.

They also had quite a bit of outdoor seating but it was raining yesterday. The restaurant is fairly good sized with several entrances.

Typically it's always a good sign in a Mexican restaurant when everyone there is all Mexican. That was the case here. Everyone that I saw was speaking Spanish with one another.

They have a fairly big menu to select from. The chips and salsa were decent and not too spicy just like I like it. I got a combination platter and the carne asado taco was good but I got a tostada as well and they smothered it completely in a type of mole sauce. It was just too much. They should serve that on the side or something but not drench the dishes in them as it didn't say anything about that on the menu.

I think the hyped up claims of best Mexican food isn't true. It was good but I've been to better places around the city with better food. Still, it's worth coming to and I'd still say it was average to good but go in with reasonable expectations.

The service was mediocre. I had to ask for sweetener for my ice tea about 3 times.

1  Thank saintba