“Still love the place”

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My last vacation I returned to the Beach Grass Cafe when staying in Del Mar. I was not disappointed. Food was still tasty and fresh as was the coffee. This time I had the turkey chorizo omelet. I do agree with some other reviewers that the place can use a bit of a tidy up. However, its a busy place so people do come back probably because of the good food.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Very popular with the 19-35 year-old crowd who don't seem to mind eating breakfast inside what sounds like a huge tin drum with flatware banking against it. Fodd is good, service terrible. The Poway location is sedate by comparison and the service there much more with it.

1  Thank HalPoway
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Think of a sophisticated version of a 70s style, earthy, good-for-you, hippie spot, but with modern upgrades in taste and style. Plus booze! We thoroughly enjoyed our Saturday brunch. I had their veggie burger which was genuinely delicious!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

First time we went, it was awesome. I had the pork breakfast tacos , and husband had an omelette, mimosa and blueberry ricotta pancake. He also ordered a cappucino and raved about it.

The first the service was good , and the coffe was hot and not even bitter!

We were in a great mood, as this was our first meal out since arriving in town.

We just went back, and it was such a different experience.

This last time the cutlery and my coffee cup had stuck on bits of old food on them. I noticed a glass jar of candies was crusty and smeared from all the hands going in. Ugh. Then I really started looking around and noticing unpleasant things.

Particularly, it is rather gross to have to squeeze by the area where dishes are rinsed/cleaned, on the restrooms.

Also, this second visit, the waiter did not smile. At all.

Also, my dish of huevos rancheros was just alright. I did not finish it, which is unheard of for me.

The only positive was that once again, the blueberry ricotta pancake knocked my husband's socks off.

Would I go back? Probably not.

1  Thank Criftee
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A pleasant brunch spot. Given the beach ambiance, service and food are about average. No complaints. Staff are friendly, food is okay. Menu is pretty ordinary. There is a substantial amount of deferred maintance such as cracks in the booths seats. Given the price a definitely pleasant brunch spot. Also very popular with the beach/ HWY 101 bike tourers.