“The worst experience I’ve ever had at a hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Reviewed October 15, 2010

The rooms were filthy, the staff and especially the front office staff were rude and adversarial. The hotel is near the beach, but the hotel itself was terrible. There was a mixup on holiday inn’s end with my reservation and I was forced to pay for more days than I what I was able to stay, and the front office refused to correct the situation. I have since tried to reconcile this with the corporate offices at holiday, but they say that the matter is up to the individual hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveler917_10

Reviewed August 21, 2010

My family of 4 stayed here for 3 nights in late July. I was underwhelmed by the decor -- the rooms definitely need to be updated. But it was decently clean and had a frig in the room, which was nice for keeping snacks & drinks. Hotel is just a short walk away from the beach -- but be warned that the water is VERY cold, and at the time we were there, there were a lot of jellyfish washed up on shore.

Within walking distance of decent restaurants & a drugstore, as well as a nice paved walkway across the street. Not far (1/2 hr.) to Legoland.

Hotel pool wasn't huge, but the kids liked it well enough. Wasn't super warm, but at least warmer than the ocean.

Breakfast was good -- lots of choices and the staff kept replenishing items quickly. Not unusual for a hotel of this type in that they were short on seats during the busiest part of the morning, so get there early if you want a seat.

When we arrived to check-in, the computer system was down so they weren't able to check us in right away. A slight inconvenience, but we hadn't had lunch yet (it was after 2 p.m.), so by the time we returned the system was working well enough to let us get a room key.

Not a fancy place -- I've stayed at the Marriott just down the street & liked it better -- but it was ok for the price.

1  Thank indydunlap
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Suite had plenty of room for 2 adults and 3 teenagers. Short walk to the beach. Next door to a wonderful italian restuarant. Comfortable beds. Great price for the location. Breakfast is free so its very basic but it hit the spot.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

While I have to admit, the staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was awful. Advertised as a suite in the $200-219 price range, the blocks from the beach. What we got was a dingy room with a odd little room next to it adjoined by a door. The little room managed to lock my son it when the door would swing shut by gravity. We had to prop it open with a suitcase and walk into the open door all night. The pull out sleeper mattress was so thin as to be painful. Linens had holes in them, the shower was deadly to step out of. Apparently it was a handicapped accessible room designed to make one handicapped. When we attempted to walk to the beach, we realized that while it may have been three blocks from the beach, the was no beach access. When called, the staff sent a rollaway at no extra cost and let us out of our remaining nights with no fuss. I appreciated their courtesy and they are the only reason I feel bad writing this review.

2  Thank leecypoo
Reviewed June 1, 2010

This was the worst experience I ever had at any hotel EVER!!! I have traveled the world and stayed in some shady spots before, but this one takes it hands down. Jui Dave, the hotel manager was so rude to me, my spouse and even my travel agent. She threatened me and and my agent and overcharged us. I now need to work with corporate to resolve the matter. Not something you want to come away with from a beach vacation! The rooms are filthy and smell. The air doesn't work and the food is not sanitary to eat. The location looks nice and close to the beach but it is a bad part of town so watch out. Just stay somewhere else and no worries. Lots of great hotels in the area. It's just not worth the risk!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank toonzer
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Very nice, clean hotel. It's a great value. The service was excellent all the way from the front desk to house keeping. Special thanks to the the front desk manager Brenda for concierge service and for the reservation to Chart House (We had a great dinner and a great time).

Hilary

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ala37
Reviewed February 27, 2010

the one good thing about this hotel was it was right next to the beach. I would recommend it if you want to spend most of your time on the beach.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Winners Circle Resort
Winners Circle Resort
#1 of 3 in Solana Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar? Share your experiences!