“Embarassment to the brand”

Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Stay away from this HIE. Worst customer service I have ever encountered, good luck complaining. The manager (or so he claimed) is as rude as they come. Rooms are unkept, maid service in consistent. I was hoping it would be a decent place for me and colleagues here on business for next few months but no cigar. I wish I could give zero stars.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank MosquitoSnack

Reviewed January 9, 2009

We stayed in this hotel in August 2008. It was a nice hotel for the money, especially in this area. Clean (even the bathroom and beds), quiet and comfortable. They give you a nice breakfast, yogurt, boiled eggs, bacon, pancakes. I would stay here again. We walked to the race track and back. The beaches in this area were awesome. There is a nice bike path along this area. I would love to go back here.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2008

We had such a wonderful time when we stayed here. We had a room overlooking the pool and jacuzzi and were able to sit on the balcony while our kids were swimming. Our room had a microwave and fridge which was nice since we stocked up on sodas/goodies and the breakfast in the morning was surprisingly good. We had scrambled eggs and bacon. I would definately stay here again if I make it back to Solana Beach.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank dawnLosAngelos
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We stayed at the HI Express Solana Beach as we had tickets for a concert at the nearby Belly Up Tavern (which was unfortunately cancelled, but that's another story) just for one night.

We paid around $100 and got a decent night's sleep in comfortable beds and the complimentary breakfast was plentiful and included hot items as well as the standard pastries.

Our room was right next to the pool, so we had to put up with some noisy children in the pool around 10pm. As another reviewer stated, there was the smell of cigarette smoke pretty much everywhere in the hotel, but overall we had no real complaints about our stay; it was fine for what we paid, but we probably wouldn't have wanted a long stay there.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2007

I usually stay at the Courtyard next door, but it was booked up so I tried the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel lobby was small, but the staff greeted me quickly and called me by my name. It went down hill from there. They put me on the third floor in the back (they said near the ocean, but you can't see or hear it from the hotel room) which seemed nice, but it caused some problems. First the hotel rooms are a little old. The bed was updated which was nice, but the carpet, couch and desk were all very worn. The wireless internet was very bad to the point where I had to try and use the free wireless from the city hall next door. I called down the front desk about this and they said there was nothing they could do. Very hard to VPN to the company servers when you have no access. I later determined that the Wi-Fi access point is far down the hallway so I must have been out of the range.

The hotel was quiet, but lots of kids running the halls at night was a problem until the front desk came up and told them to go to bed. A person at the breakfast bar in the morning said that she always has that problem here at this hotel. It seems to be more of a family hotel, than a business hotel (which isn't a problem per say, but it seems like things were a little out of hand).

I probably won't be staying here again if I can help it. The Courtyard next door is a better choice for business travelers.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank tempejim
Reviewed August 25, 2007

The hotel does not enforce its non-smoking areas. Don't be surprised to find broken fixtures, air conditioners incapable of cooling the room, noise when you're trying to sleep, paper thin walls between the rooms (forget privacy), and housekeeping staff that is either incompetent or apathetic.

The management is, however, very good at apologizing. Apparently, it is a well honed skill.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank picksixfan
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Called several times as we had 3 adults and 2 children and we needed an extra bed or room which we were willing to pay for. Upon arrival they said they were sold out and could not do anything for us but managed to charge us extra for additional people in room. They found a rollaway that reeked of smoke and charged us an additional $10. Room had a view of a condemmed building. See photo. Staff was rude. Hotel did not appear to be sold out. Worth a few laughs.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Solana Beach
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

Been to Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar? Share your experiences!