“Awesome hideaway campground!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soda Springs
Cisco Grove Campground & RV Park
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

We hold our annual Axialfest at Cisco Grove Campground now in its six year and it has been a great campground to work with. Lots of space and unique amenities to work with including a cabin, hotel rooms, banquet hall and large pavilion. We love if!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank GCRad1

Reviewed July 23, 2012

What things can we expect to have provided while paying to stay away from home? If you are human, toilet paper usually ranks high and soap may also. Unfortunately, Cisco Grove did not provide either of these. We paid $30 a night, as part of a group rate, for a campsite near the bathrooms. We were told upon making our reservation over the phone that there were bathrooms, showers, and a spacious campsite with a table guaranteed to us.

When we arrived we had to go to the store to check in. They informed us that no ground fires were allowed but we could rent a "fire ring". I asked several times for the cost of the fire ring but she would not directly answer the question. Finally she waved her arms and said "$10 for the whole stay". She told me firewood was $8 a "bundle" and made her arms go in a wide circle as she said so. I asked for both. She rang me up for $19.50. I had to wait while an approximately 8 year old youngster went somewhere and brought out an old, rusted, greasy BBQ grill casing that had the lid permanently attached (that was the "fire ring"). She had me follow her in my vehicle to an old shipping crate down the road while she kept shouting something to me that I was unable to hear because I was driving. I was aware we were going to the crate for firewood which once we arrived she proceeded to carry wood pieces one by one to my truck and pile them on. I realized this was going to take some time so I helped out. We piled them until she hollered that it was enough. Perhaps she was counting the pieces? I am still not sure how she judged a fair amount at $8.

Any later questions we asked the staff were met with general confusion. They seemed bothered by inquiries as if they expected visitors to be the experts.

Unfortunate for us, since we did not bring off-road vehicles, they were having some kind of off-road vehicle rally the weekend we were there. No one mentioned this to me upon making the reservation. The rally added to the dust. However, even if the bikes were not there I am sure I would have thought the same of the dust level. Anyone walking through our campsite sent clouds of heavy, silty dust up in the air. I often overheard people expressing a wish for a mask. The ground was so dry the dust lay about three inches thick in some places. Kids and adults were roaring around the campground on their dirt bikes. There was not much to do. We often like to fish or float but the river was stagnant and crusted on top with God-knows-what. The table that was guaranteed us was not there. The person on the phone assured me I would have one and for this reason I did not pack one from home.

The bathrooms were filthy. At one point on Saturday I saw the same staff person that checked us in arrive on an ATV loaded with toilet paper. She took careful time to put on her cleaning gloves. They were for appearances only. I went into the bathroom after she left and there were stalls that had no toilet paper. The sinks were covered with water and other peoples leftovers. There was no soap or towels though there were dispensers. Ever since we arrived on Friday there had been no soap or towels. There was warm water. The shower stalls appeared to never have been cleaned, this was apparent from the build-up around the drains, the look of the floors, and the build-up of leftover soap from personal soap bars. The trash bin was overflowing with garbage. We never saw it taken away, it just continued to overflow. By Sunday morning people were stacking their trash against the bin because it would not hold any more. And this was a big steel container. For the time I was there the bathroom was never swept, and the floor was covered with toilet paper and sanitary napkin waste.

It is right off the highway and you can hear the roar of traffic, this can be more intense or less intense depending on what site you end up in. Campsites are small. They pack people in. You can see the whites of your unknown neighbor's eyes and smell the fumes from their dirt bike, and that is not really camping for me.

We went to Donner Lake and it was so crowded we could not find parking. The lake was lapping large waves because there were many boats stirring up the water.

Some positives! The mountains are beautiful. We enjoyed visiting with family.

Some facts: ice is $2.50 for a five pound bag. Fire ring is $10 (though this could be inaccurate info). Firewood is $8 a bundle (approximately eight pieces of wood--some rotten, some hardwood). Store is understocked. Lucky if find eggs or hotdogs. May have better luck at the Valero gas station on the other side of the freeway, not even a half a mile away.

If you want to check out the mountain lakes and don't want to deal with the traffic trying to get to Sterling Lake, do your research ahead of time, there are many beautiful, quiet mountain lakes nearby and some have road access. Google maps may be more able to direct you on details whereas I know from experience staff certainly cannot.

The campground website I found misleading. You cannot get internet access from anywhere in the campground that I could find. The main complaint other family members had was difficulty with their reservation. They mentioned to me they never received the email confirmation they requested. Another person arrived to find someone else with a trailer had taken their spot, which they had specifically reserved (as I did mine). The staff told them they would have to find some other place instead of defending his reservation or explaining the mix-up.

Camp at your own risk.

Room Tip: Campground B area was packed with RVs, shoulder-to-shoulder. Lots of shade was available on the 40s...