“NOT What it used to be!!”
Review of Rainbow Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soda Springs
Rainbow Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Soda Springs
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Recently I made reservations for 3 adults and 1 baby to have Thanksgiving Dinner at the Rainbow Lodge Restaurant. We have been there many times including holiday dinners and have had enjoyable experiences. This time however, was the experience from hell!
When I made the reservation, I specifically asked what the price was per person for the Thanksgiving meal. I was told $24.95 pp and was given a description of what the meal included. Upon arrival, we were presented a menu with NO pricing, but included a choice of three entrees including turkey. All three dinners were served COLD and had to be returned to the kitchen to be reheated. At the conclusion of the meal, the waitress presented me with the bill that included a charge of $49.95 pp PLUS a 20% gratuity. I questioned the waitress about the bill being so high telling her that when I made the reservation I had been quoted a price of $24.95pp. She stated that $24.95 was the price for a child's serving. I told her I would've never have driven thirty miles for a $50.00 pp Turkey dinner. The waitress stated that she would send the manager to the table. Shortly there after the manager appeared at our table and in a LOUD VOICE, waving her hand, stated that everyone in here is paying $50.00 a plate (the room was less than 1/2 full) and that it was the "cheapest in the county." I told her that I had been quoted a price of $24.95 when I made the reservation and that is what I expected to pay. She refused. Then I proceeded to tell her that I was involved with a local city's Chamber of Commerce and would do all that I could do to inform people of my experience and treatment. At this point, she stated sarcastically that she would "adjust the bill."
Needless to say, this experience really ruined our Thanksgiving and we do not expect to ever return to the Rainbow Lodge (a place that WAS one of our favorites for years).

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HisandHers

Reviewed November 26, 2010

Our families (4 adults, 3 teens, 2 kids) had Thanksgiving dinner here after a long hike nearby. We've been lucky enough to enjoy many memorable dining experiences, but this ranks with the best. Beautiful turn-of the-century rustic stone and wood architecture; warm and cozy (fireplace(s) blazing) dining, bar, and lounge areas;lovely views; attentive, warm and folksy service; unexpectedly fabulous dinner (all courses and plates were received with a "wow"), and generous pricing (deal itself was great, but staff charged our teenagers the kid price, and they still received more food than they could eat). We plan to include the Rainbow Lodge in our family traditions from now on.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I felt the need to write a review on the Rainbow lodge, since all people seem to do these days is COMPLAIN!! It DOES state on the menu that there is a $3.50 charge for splitting meals, it also states that a gratuity will be added for parties of 6 or more. The food is EXCELLENT! The place is BEAUTIFUL and the staff is lovely. Maybe I'm not picky? Maybe I'm an easy person to please? Or maybe I'm just happy. I guess if having a charge for splitting your meal "ruins" your outing, you have serious issues. That is all. The End.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stopped there for late afternoon lunch with family from Germany. Certainly, we were anticipating a good meal and an atmosphere unlike the common fare of drive-ins or strip-malls. The couple seated awhile after us were finished and leaving when the waitress finally took our order, even though we made noise about it as were famished, ..we had 'saved' our hunger to try Rainbow Lodge. How embarrassing. The wait staff was interested only in those in the 'fine dining' area, the food was ..... just food.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank wwort
Reviewed July 2, 2010

I had an extremely distasteful experience at the Rainbow Lodge restaurant this past Saturday, June 26th. My wife and I, along with two other couples, came for a late lunch at the lodge, a favorite spot for all three of the couples for many years. We absolutely love the surroundings, the decor of the lodge and restaurant and have always had wonderful experiences with food and service. Saturday's experience was, to put it mildly, bizarre.

In a nutshell, here are the facts: My wife ordered just a cup of coffee, thinking that she might want a bite of my hamburger, but wasn't that hungry herself, and I ordered a hamburger with fries and also ordered a beer. Both of the other couples ordered hamburgers as well with different drink orders and one couple ordered a bowl of soup. Each of them indicated to the waitress that they would share their burgers. Again, I never mentioned anything about sharing or splitting my order. Several minutes later, after receiving our drinks, the waitress brought three plates "in case you need them". We received our orders and enjoyed our meal without incident. However, when the bill was received, we were shocked that the total was just under $100. We planned to split the bill with our friends but one of the men asked the waitress to explain the charges because the total was much larger than what we had expected, based on the menu prices. He was immediately told that there was a $3.50 "splitting charge" for each of the couples and that a 20% gratuity was also added to the bill. He complained that we had not been told, nor had there been any mention of the splitting charge OR the 20% gratuity being added. We would certainly have left a gratuity, perhaps even more than 20%, but we should have been notified of the automatic charges. My wife told the waitress that we NEVER mentioned splitting our meal and that we certainly would not have done so had there been a charge. She responded to my friend and my wife by saying, "it's the restaurant's policy and I have nothing to do with it and you'll have to take it up with the manager up in front". My friend went to speak with her for several minutes and came back to our table saying that she was not going to bend, even though there was NOTHING written on the menus about splitting charges or automatic 20% gratuities added for a group of 6 people. Ultimately, all three of the men complained to the manager that these things were done without our permission and without any hint of the charges from the menu but her extremely mean-spirited reply was condescending, stating that "everyone knows that all restaurants charge for splitting meals and automatically charge 20% gratuities for parties of 6 or more. We all said that we have been to restaurants all over the world and have NEVER experienced these charges unless there were statements on the menu explaining the charges. Yes, gratuities for large parties (generally EIGHT or more people) are normal in most restaurants but this is universally printed on the menus.

In our frustration and growing anger with the intransigence and ruder conduct of the manager, we all stated that we had been coming to the Rainbow Lodge for many years and that this experience not only ruined that day's outing for all of us but has put a black mark on an otherwise wonderful and pristine spot that we wanted to treasure for years to come. Please understand, this is NOT about the money, it's about being cheated and treated rudely for no reason.

I offered to contact management at Royal Gorge, the ownership group, on behalf of the rest of our group in hopes that someone would be able to address our grievance and do something to repair our now tainted image of the Rainbow Lodge. I contacted them TWICE and received no reply whatever.

This place has lost 6 customers for life.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank MikeySanJose_Ca_
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We, too, have stayed here numerous times in the past, and were saddened by the current state of affairs. Staff is trying, but unexperienced. Common areas dimly lit, dirty, and cold. We won't be back until we hear that management/ownership has changed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Got two car accident near Soda Spring, California. The hospitality there was awesome. Great atmosphere, very quite and a funny lodge to stay in. I enjoy my stay there. One thing I miss there is the tv.

Stayed: January 2010
4 mi away
Kingvale Lodge
Kingvale Lodge
#1 of 5 in Soda Springs

Been to Rainbow Lodge? Share your experiences!