“Best place EVER!!”
Review of Rainbow Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soda Springs
Rainbow Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Soda Springs
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I felt the need to write a review on the Rainbow lodge, since all people seem to do these days is COMPLAIN!! It DOES state on the menu that there is a $3.50 charge for splitting meals, it also states that a gratuity will be added for parties of 6 or more. The food is EXCELLENT! The place is BEAUTIFUL and the staff is lovely. Maybe I'm not picky? Maybe I'm an easy person to please? Or maybe I'm just happy. I guess if having a charge for splitting your meal "ruins" your outing, you have serious issues. That is all. The End.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Rainbow Lodge

Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stopped there for late afternoon lunch with family from Germany. Certainly, we were anticipating a good meal and an atmosphere unlike the common fare of drive-ins or strip-malls. The couple seated awhile after us were finished and leaving when the waitress finally took our order, even though we made noise about it as were famished, ..we had 'saved' our hunger to try Rainbow Lodge. How embarrassing. The wait staff was interested only in those in the 'fine dining' area, the food was ..... just food.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank wwort
Reviewed July 2, 2010

I had an extremely distasteful experience at the Rainbow Lodge restaurant this past Saturday, June 26th. My wife and I, along with two other couples, came for a late lunch at the lodge, a favorite spot for all three of the couples for many years. We absolutely love the surroundings, the decor of the lodge and restaurant and have always had wonderful experiences with food and service. Saturday's experience was, to put it mildly, bizarre.

In a nutshell, here are the facts: My wife ordered just a cup of coffee, thinking that she might want a bite of my hamburger, but wasn't that hungry herself, and I ordered a hamburger with fries and also ordered a beer. Both of the other couples ordered hamburgers as well with different drink orders and one couple ordered a bowl of soup. Each of them indicated to the waitress that they would share their burgers. Again, I never mentioned anything about sharing or splitting my order. Several minutes later, after receiving our drinks, the waitress brought three plates "in case you need them". We received our orders and enjoyed our meal without incident. However, when the bill was received, we were shocked that the total was just under $100. We planned to split the bill with our friends but one of the men asked the waitress to explain the charges because the total was much larger than what we had expected, based on the menu prices. He was immediately told that there was a $3.50 "splitting charge" for each of the couples and that a 20% gratuity was also added to the bill. He complained that we had not been told, nor had there been any mention of the splitting charge OR the 20% gratuity being added. We would certainly have left a gratuity, perhaps even more than 20%, but we should have been notified of the automatic charges. My wife told the waitress that we NEVER mentioned splitting our meal and that we certainly would not have done so had there been a charge. She responded to my friend and my wife by saying, "it's the restaurant's policy and I have nothing to do with it and you'll have to take it up with the manager up in front". My friend went to speak with her for several minutes and came back to our table saying that she was not going to bend, even though there was NOTHING written on the menus about splitting charges or automatic 20% gratuities added for a group of 6 people. Ultimately, all three of the men complained to the manager that these things were done without our permission and without any hint of the charges from the menu but her extremely mean-spirited reply was condescending, stating that "everyone knows that all restaurants charge for splitting meals and automatically charge 20% gratuities for parties of 6 or more. We all said that we have been to restaurants all over the world and have NEVER experienced these charges unless there were statements on the menu explaining the charges. Yes, gratuities for large parties (generally EIGHT or more people) are normal in most restaurants but this is universally printed on the menus.

In our frustration and growing anger with the intransigence and ruder conduct of the manager, we all stated that we had been coming to the Rainbow Lodge for many years and that this experience not only ruined that day's outing for all of us but has put a black mark on an otherwise wonderful and pristine spot that we wanted to treasure for years to come. Please understand, this is NOT about the money, it's about being cheated and treated rudely for no reason.

I offered to contact management at Royal Gorge, the ownership group, on behalf of the rest of our group in hopes that someone would be able to address our grievance and do something to repair our now tainted image of the Rainbow Lodge. I contacted them TWICE and received no reply whatever.

This place has lost 6 customers for life.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank MikeySanJose_Ca_
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We, too, have stayed here numerous times in the past, and were saddened by the current state of affairs. Staff is trying, but unexperienced. Common areas dimly lit, dirty, and cold. We won't be back until we hear that management/ownership has changed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Got two car accident near Soda Spring, California. The hospitality there was awesome. Great atmosphere, very quite and a funny lodge to stay in. I enjoy my stay there. One thing I miss there is the tv.

Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed September 18, 2008

This was one of those classic old hotels from days gone by. I had always wanted to stay here, but was very disappointed.
The bed felt like it was from the early 1900's. I felt every spring poking the body. We ate in the main restaurant for dinner and the food was wonderful.

However since we were visiting on a gift card, we took this card to apply towards the dinner. After our lovely dinner we paid for the dinner with our card. However, they would not allow us to use any of the extra $ on card to pay for tip. So we walked up stairs to our room to get cash to pay the tip. As we returned within a few min. we heard the staff talking very loudly about receiving no tip from us. Then they all laughed when we placed the tip on the table " they came back"! Truly unprofessional.

None the less the food was good. However if you want a nice, romantic, or comfortable place to stay....go somewhere else.
You will hear every other faucet and shower on your floor turn on, people walking in the hall, and mostly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever felt.

And relaxing in the room is out of the question. There was only one hard chair and two dim lights.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank LoloGraniteBay_CA
Reviewed January 16, 2008

I have been coming to the "Rainbow" for over 30 years and have seen it through it’s various ownerships. But over the past 10 years or so it has enjoyed a wonderful reputation of good food and service. I have come to the Lodge every January for my birthday with friends for about 6 years and always had a great time until this past week.

There were 16 of us for dinner of which I had made reservations a week in advance. We were put in the rear dining room which is very pleasant and told we had the room to ourselves. Our waitress was as pleasant as could be and took our order and our food was mostly delivered within a decent time except for my father who they totally forgot about and he got his cold meal 10 minutes after the rest of us. I had the Steak Diane ($29) a la carte. The meat was average but the sauce was very good. My friend had the tuna and she couldn’t finish it as was the same for my sister. My son and his girlfriend had a pasta dish and it lacked flavor. My other friend had the pork and she was not impressed and got sick later that night as did her husband who had a steak. We were all asked if we wanted to add soup or salad to our selections and many of us did. I had the Caesar which was fine. The soup was French onion which was tasty. But when we got the check we were quite shocked – the little Caesar was $9.50 and the soup was $6.50. In the year since we’d been here the prices have easily jumped up 25% or so and when we left our ticket was $717 including a $103 tip (18% required tip).

During the course of our meal “our” dining room started filling up with other parties as folks were coming in off of I-80 thanks to bumper to bumper traffic. Suddenly “our” waitress was not able to keep up and when we asked her if we could have coffee and water she told us we were “lucky” to get served at all – I suspect her frustration at not getting any help from the management was overwhelming her and her frustration was vented at us because overall she was a doll.

My overall impression is that there must be pressure from the corporation that owns the Lodge (a developer) to squeeze more profits out of the Rainbow so prices have gone up and a more callous attitude has taken hold over the one time wonderful staff who wants to do a good job but they’re being held back by someone back in the office who doesn’t care. We will not go back until we hear they have sold the Lodge (it is up for sale) and there, again, is someone who cares about service and food and this wonderful building.

I stayed at the Lodge that evening too, which again, was an awful experience. At 2:30 a.m. I woke to natures call and the room was about 55 degrees. The furnace had been shut off. At 7 a.m there still was no heat so I went down to the front desk to inquire and the employees said that they were trying to contact the manager but he wasn’t answering his phone and he was the only one who could turn the furnace on. Shortly afterwards they delivered a small floor heater but it took at least an hour to get the room warm enough to take a shower. Complaints to the desk later didn’t get any kind of compensation. We are questioning the charges with the credit card company who says that no heat is justification for not paying the bill. It was also the first time that I noticed that most of the rooms had not been rented - we almost always have a hard time getting a good room but obviously the reputation for the place has fallen off and folks are avoiding the place. Too bad as we love this place and want to see it do a come back. But until then I advise avoiding the place.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
#8 of 13 in Truckee
Truckee Donner Lodge
Truckee Donner Lodge
#7 of 13 in Truckee

Been to Rainbow Lodge? Share your experiences!