“What a place!!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smith River
midwest
“What a place!!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a fairly new establishment. Less than a year old but do they know how to do it right. We were at the end of our coastal drive and were looking forward to a nice place to rest. Their rooms are big city accommodations not small town. Everything is first class and the staff is fantastic. The front desk lady (Jennifer??) remembered our conversation when I made the reservation four months in advance. She actually remembered small details we talked about. How often does that happen anywhere??? They were very welcoming, professional, and the room was beautiful, comfortable, and spotless. Just a terrific place to stay!!! We would go out of our way just to go there again!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank whoa3050

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

The rooms at the lodge are amazing. Clean, well kept, very nice amenities, & very quiet. Staff very friendly, courteous, and go to extra mile to make your stay pleasant. Right off the beach & perfectly set between the redwoods and Brookings.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YearoftheRabbit
Crescent City, CA
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We have stayed here twice so the grandsons could go to a, "motel with a swimming pool." Spoiled. Very comfortable rooms with firm pillow top beds and lots of pillows for ammo. Also a refrigerator and coffee pot but fresh coffee, (and microwave) is available in the vending area. Reminds me of a Marriott. We stayed right across from the pool-salt not chlorine- with a large sauna tub. Also a fitness center.
For visitors to our area, this is a good place to stay while you enjoy God's Country. We found the restaurant to be much improved and the service outstanding.
The casino is rather smokey but it is not noticeable in the motel. This is a great value for our area so check it out.

Room Tip: 101-106 very close to pool
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RickCrescentCity_CA
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I stopped in late trying to find a room the first Saturday of spring break (oops). I was impressed by the new decor and remodel right off. The room was gorgeous and cheaper than the chains in Brookings and Gold Beach. They said they wanted the hotel to feel like home and it did. Every staff member wished me a good morning, which was something I haven't experienced before. Also, breakfast at the restaurant was really good.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amanda H
Piedmont, CA
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Traveling alone to Canada with my 11 yr old twin boys, one of my boys was violently ill after checking out of our hotel. Driving only 19 miles down the road, I had to find a hotel. We were at the gas station and I walked over to the only hotel around, the Howonquet Lodge, not exactly thrilled at the prospect of staying at a casino hotel. I walked up to the front desk and told the man at reception I needed a room ASAP as my son was very sick. It was 10am and he gave me a room with an extra bedroom, called someone immediately to take my children up to the room with our bags while I checked in. He had extra towels delivered, and later delivered 7-up, saltine crackers, extra tissue personally to our room.

Traveling without my husband with a sick kid, I felt at home and supported. Aside from the customer care, the rooms were huge, immaculate, well appointed and luxurious, lovely fluffy towels, Turkish white robes, with an ocean view. Later, I found out it was the general manager, Ryan, who had treated us so we'll. I must say, the entire staff was exceptional. Thank you! We will be back, we visit family in Canada and this will be a regular stop for us.

Room Tip: Ocean view is amazing. There is an indoor pool and great prices for the children's room service...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank piedmontblooming
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The other reviewers have covered how great this hotel is, and I agree completely. Let me tell you about how great the location is -- just minutes from the Oregon Border, the great town of Brookings, Oregon, and the Redwood Highway.

Whether you like casinos or not, this is the best place to stay in the Crescent City area. It is an easy drive to so many great places, it makes for an excellent "base camp".

Room Tip: pay a little extra and get a balcony room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Astoria, OR
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights and enjoyed it! Ocean view from our room with a balcony, reasonable rates and friendly service. This is a new hotel/casino and it was pretty quiet in November. The staff was friendly and professional. They even offered to do a load of laundry for us at no charge!

The restaurant was your typical type thing, we enjoyed the sald bar. They had free coffee and soda pop stations in the hotel and in the casino.

I loved that the room had a (free) small safe to use as well as a very nice small fridge with freezer. (No microwave) The bathroom had a blow dryer and magnifying mirror as well as nice soaps. I would suggest some hooks in the bathroom to hang your towels and clothes.

The fitness center only had 2 or 3 things. Very basic. Basic/ simple is fine, but I wished it had a bike and maybe a bench or chairs to sit on and also a hook or cubby to hold your stuff.

The pool and hot tub were great - no chlorine! (LOVED that!) You have to go outside the pool area to get to the towels and use the bathroom. I would recommend that they put a waterproof mat down in this area. The other suggestion I would have is that the pool area was very loud. Maybe they could add something to help muffle the sound/echo - bad accoustics. You could hear the pool play noise in the lobby area.

We took day trips to Crescent City, Ca and Brookings, Or from here. My favorite was the 6 mile unpaved road through the redwoods at the Jedediah Smith State Park.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 8 in Brookings
Brookings Inn
Brookings Inn
#8 of 8 in Brookings

Been to Lucky 7 Casino & Hotel – Howonquet Lodge? Share your experiences!