“Good for the money”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Simi Valley
chino valley az
“Good for the money”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I had a good rate, went through hotels.com, and had stayed here once before so I was familiar with the hotel. The first time renovations were going on, this time my big complaint was that the floor I was on was occupied by mostly East Indian people. The management allowed them to cook in the microwave in their rooms, and the smell of pungent spices that are typically used in Indian food (which I like, by the way) permeated the whole hallway on the 3rd floor the 5 days I was there. By the third day I was actually almost sick from it. I talked to the front desk that night, and they acted like I was racist for complaining about it. I was told these people would be there for another month or so...they obviously were attending some kind of school or something. I asked if they knew they were cooking in the rooms...they said they were allowed to use the microwave. I asked if they knew what the hallway smelled like and they said yes. I asked why these people were leaving their rooms cracked open to allow the smell to leave the room so much. They shrugged and when I said I could come back the next day to talk to someone who cared, they offered to move me to another room. I only had 2 nights left, and too much stuff to move, plus I was near my traveling companions and didn't want to make them move. One night I had to ask one of the students to please not slam the door in the room right next to me, and he was very rude about it. The room I was in had peeling wallpaper and a huge blood stain on the mattress which I did not notice until the fourth night because it was covered with a mattress cover and the cover had moved by that time. They should at least flip the mattress, very unattractive and I would think could be considered a health hazard. Again, had it not been the last night, I would have moved. All in all, for the money it is good, room was clean (as clean as hotel rooms can be) and if not for those 2 complaints, I would recommend it to someone. Just beware of the strong odors from the cooking and check the mattress. The bar next door had some sleazy looking people in the parking lot but it was a sports bar, and I did not feel threatened by it. Nice mall right next door.

• Stayed August 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed April 28, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand Vista for 4 nights while visiting his daughter. The hotel is situated in a convenient location close to the 118 freeway and plenty of dining, shopping, and hiking opportunities. There's a good mix of chain and "mom n' pop" food options in close proximity but if you're inclined to stay in, room service is available. The hotel offers a bar/grill sports bar type place as well as a restaurant (didn't eat at either, but the availability is appreciated). We stayed in a room with one king bed and it was roomy with a couch, coffee table, fridge, microwave, desk, cat5 Internet cable (no WiFi in the room, only restaurant area), an iron/ironing board, and armoire with a TV and drawers for clothes. The best feature of this room was the back wall of windows covered with beautiful white, wide-slatted plantation shutters which open (the shutters open, not the window itself). I noticed a couple slats were detached from the rod which adjusts them so I noted this on the in-room comment card - the next evening a gentleman arrived to fix it. The bathroom had a hair dryer, tissues, conditioning shampoo, shower cap, shoe shining cloth, face/body bar soap, and a coffee maker. Check-in and out was quick and easy and the staff was extremely pleasant. The linens were basic, clean, and pretty standard as far as mid-range hotels go. This hotel would have received 5 stars if it weren't for the noise heard from other patrons walking above us, causing the floors to creak.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We always stay in this hotel the night before heading home because we used to live in Simi Valley. I always thought it was good for the price. This time I think its in need of some updating. Our bathroom floors (we had 2 rooms) were both dirty and sticky. There is no ventilation and the air had a cleaning product odor which burned my eyes and throat. I think its time to charge a little more and fix the place up a bit. I would have enjoyed it alot better if we could open a window and get some air.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Simi Valley hotels

Holladay, Utah
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Stayed in early February. I have read the preceding two reviews. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I liked this place. Nice rooms with large plantation shutters. Some rooms look out upon the simi valley. The walls are a bit thin. Light in the bathroom was dim. The air freshener smelled antiseptic. However, the staff was very nice and gave me sweet directions to a great area to hike the local hills. The courtyard/swimming pool is clean and well-appointed. They have free wi-fi in the restaurant area..but not in the rooms. The location on the hill really does afford a "Grand Vista." The hotel's proximity to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Air Force One is a bonus. They are a fifteen minute drive.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Stayed At the Grand Vista in January for 3 nights on business. I was kept awake for most of the night with loud noises from people having sex in the room next to mine - loudly - and their door opening and closing frequently, as more "customers" came and left the room.
I went downstairs and complained to the staff. Nothing was done.
Next morning I complained again and said i'd be calling the police if the same went on the next night. The following night was a bit better, but the walls are super paper thin and you can hear conversation and anything going on in adjoining rooms.
I'll never go back and gladly pay more for the Best Western down the street.

• Liked — Free Internet in the room ( bring your own cable ! )
  • Disliked — prostitution on site
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
San Diego
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Worst place ever stayed at and when I spoke to the General Manager Tim he was a jerk NO GENERAL MANAGER stay away. Good place for drugs and hookers but other then that NO WAY

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — The thing called the General Manager Tim what a jerk
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Simi Valley
Reviewed December 24, 2008

Been in Simi Valley on a 6 month work assignment and found that the rate here was comparable to renting my own place, but didn't need to purchase furnishings, make my own bed or wash my towels and linens. I found the staff friendly and responsive. The rooms are large with a couch, coffee table, fridge, microwave and free internet access. What more do I neeed? Restaurant is a little pricey but was pleasantly surprised with the Pork Chop and New york steak. Good size cuts and cooked to my order. Though the property is not first rate it is clean and acceptable. I'm a regular now and am given the service a good repeat customer deserves. My overall expereience has been a good one and I would recommend it to friends for the great rate.

• Liked — The Rates
  • Disliked — Limited Cable TV stations
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Palm Garden Hotel
#2 of 9 in Thousand Oaks
Quality Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks
Best Western Plus Thousand Oaks Inn

Been to Grand Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!