“New, nice, comfortable”

Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Simi Valley
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel isn't new, but everything gave the appearance of being brand new. It must have been recently refurbished. My room was clean, comfortable and attractive. The bed and bedding were great and I slept wonderfully well. Access to the courtyard and room doors is inside a locked metal gate, so I felt very safe. The night clerk was very kind and efficient. They offer a free breakfast, although I didn't take time to sample it. I didn't need an "accessible" room, but I happened to get one. It was quite large, and so was the bathroom. Hmm...I learned something: perhaps in future when I want a large room, I'll ask for an accessible room. :-) I got a reduced rate through Hotwire, so I'm quite happy with the value. However, I don't know what the normal value would be.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sheryl P
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for your review! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a great night's sleep! We hope that in the future you will visit us again and be able to take advantage of our wonderful breakfast!

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I "eloped" to Southern California for our wedding and found the Holiday Inn Express in Simi Valley to be a much more reasonable price for what we were looking for. The jacuzzi suite was the perfect room for newlyweds. What really made our stay was the helpful and friendly staff. From the receptionists getting a box of tissues for my husband's bloody nose, helping me zip up my wedding dress, and promptly getting my passport back to me when it fell out in the lobby (saving my honeymoon!) to the breakfast crew giving us ideas of where to visit in the area, they really made our stay more enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

I am thrilled you took the time to write your comments! Thank you the compliments on our staff. Each of our staff members truly care about our guests and work hard to provide excellant service! Thank you for choosing our hotel. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We got this hotel through priceline name your price.The hotel breakfast was excellent.The beds were good and bedsheets looked clean and new.The receptionist was very good and very accomodative.It was a two bed room that we booked through priceline and the hotel didn;t charge any extra fee for having a total of two adults and two teenage kids.This hotel is located in simi valley which is one of the top 3 safest places in the country.so there is no question of being 'seedy' and so.On the top of that the hotel has card access to enter the hotel through any door other then reception.Overall excellent stay for a reasonable price and would prefer it over the Grand vista or best western if I look for good service along with value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rashok

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your comments regarding our hotel access as we take the safety of our guests very seriously. We work hard to provide a safe, comfortable and enjoyable stay for each of our guests. I am happy you were able to experience this. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Lovely, very very new and clean, friendly and affordable. Next door to great food and bars. Perfect for all the out of town wedding guests. The after party at the bar next door was especially great as we could all stumble to bed without worrying about driving. The decor was especially impressive for a moderate cost hotel. It was just perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for writing a review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! It is great that you were able to take advantage of the restaurants conveniently located to the hotel. We work hard to provide excellant service and comfortable guest rooms. We are thrilled you had a wonderful experience!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel and it's sister hotel next door are probably a little seedier than the others in Simi Valley, Maybe it's just the location I don't know but it's just the facts. I travel to Simi for business and prefer to stay one night here than to fight traffic both ways. The area is just not great, The El Torito is much lower quality than the Elephant Bar next to the Best Western. The Breakfast is definitely not wonderfully made to order like the BW and the suites do not offer a full kitchen like the Extended Stay. The staff is not nearly as helpful or enthusiastic as the staffs at the Best Western or the Extended Stay. I assume because they are affiliated with the Motel 6 and low prices, the quality is just not their concern. Unfortunately the housekeeper who gave me extra soap was very sweet, but since she didn't have a name badge or perhaps it was under her sweater (it was quite cold and windy) I can't acknowledge her here. As far as the iron gates they use for security, they don't keep out the rif raf, I wouldn't want my wife staying here alone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BDogLong
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear BDogLong,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I really was expecting the worst, but if you believe any of the reviews, believe me.(look at my yelp reviews for proof) I am brutally honest and very picky and I had a very pleasant experience. I booked the room to study for the bar exam( final weekend before the exam) all weekend with a friend that lives in Simi. The hotel is very convenient to the freeway, easy on and easy off. The hotel is also located next to a shopping center and across the street from a grocery store.

My room was large and it had a nice desk and another table. We literally spent 12+hrs in the room on Saturday and we were comfortable. Yes, the bathroom fixtures are old and the tub looks like its from the 60's, but the bed was comfortable. The TV is new, the air works fine, there was a fridge and microwave in the room. The continental breakfast had eggs, bacon or sausage, different breads, milks, cereal, packets of oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cinnamon rolls. There is something for everyone( except pancakes, apparently, the machine was broken and has been for awhile).

I felt very safe at the hotel. The doors to the rooms open to a courtyard that has a large pool. There is a main security door that you need a room key to get into. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. I paid 113.00 for 2 nights on Hotwire and in my opinion, it was a great deal.

Room Tip: upper floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Our team works hard to make each guest feel comfortable and I am glad that was the case for you. Thank you for mentioning their service. I am glad you took advantage of our complimentary breakfast and found it satisfying. Our pancake machine is working so we hope you come again and enjoy!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked this room by the brand name. I've had many good experiences at Holiday Inn Express. This place was a very unwelcome surprise, as it is a MOTEL. I did not feel safe at all with the exterior hallways. Our room overlooked the parking lot and faced the Motel 6 next door, which looked just like this place only a different color. I was very disappointed. The security gate that supposedly restricts non-guest access to the elevators and stairs doesn't do much good, as a creepy looking non-guest walked right through it as we were leaving to go to dinner. On the up-side, the front desk staff are friendly and when I reported the creepy guy they contacted security and got rid of him. I had noted the included breakfast upon booking, however, when I arrived and saw that this place is actually a motel, I assumed I was mistaken about the breakfast. It was never mentioned to me when I checked in, was not written on anything we saw, and the location must be hidden because in the morning we neither saw nor smelled food anywhere. So, we left assuming there was no breakfast. I am reading reviews now that indicate that there is. Oh well. Other than that oversight, I will say that the price was good (that should have given me a clue that this was not the caliber of hotel I was expecting) and the staff was friendly. But the exterior halls, creepy area around the hotel, questionable security, sparse room with thin blankets... Just not what I was looking for or have come to expect from Holiday Inn Express. My mistake. Should have looked more closely at the pictures online. I didn't feel safe here. Also the food at El Torito was not very good, though the waiters were friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maxjosie
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you had experienced during your stay at our hotel.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I am very sorry you were not able to take advantage of our wonderful breakfast. We hope that you will visit us again and allow us to provide the great service you expect at a Holiday Inn Express.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Simi Valley
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Simi Valley
Courtyard Ventura Simi Valley
Quality Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks
Hampton Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks

Been to Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley? Share your experiences!