“Don't judge a hotel by the outside!”

Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Simi Valley
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was travelling and used a discount hotel site to book. When I first arrived, things looked a little depressing on the outside, but when I got inside the courtyard, I changed my mind. The rooms face inward to a jungle of plants and trees surrounding a pool.

The place was friendly and clean, and had a good feeling. I found myself outside my room, leaning on the railing and looking down at the pool often. The flowering trees reached the second story all by themselves. The hotel has a bygone, palm-treed resort feel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank pareolover
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am glad you were able to take advantage of our beautiful courtyard! Our goal is that each guest feels at home and relaxed while visiting us. We hope to see you again in the near future!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I book hotels here about once a month for my training classes and they always take care of me. We stay for 3 nights and absolutely love it. The fact that we have 4 restaurants within a block, (including a full bar next door), decent workout facility, nice pool and spacious rooms is always a plus. The thing that I like best is the staff though. They are so accommodating and really seem to enjoy what they do. My only complaint is that they closed down the sauna due to new regulations from the state of California regarding ADA. However, warm cookies, delivery from super comfortable bed, jacuzzi in my room and a great breakfast more than make up for that minor detail. I absolutely love this place and wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor as the rooms seem to get used a little less, but have stayed in probably 10 d...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

It is really great to hear from our frequent guests! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoy your time with us and continue to make us your preferred hotel. Our staff works hard to meet guest requests and provide an enjoyable stay each time! We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Room was clean and comfortable. The only thing I really disliked was that the bathroom switches (light and/or exhaust fan) were outside the bathroom itself, AND not near the bathroom itself. I kept having to backtrack to turn on/off the switches. Also, this seems to be a fairly dated hotel....there is only one elevator, which turned out to be at the other end of the hotel from where my Dad (walking with support) and my room was. Not very ADA-friendly.

Room Tip: If you have any type of of walking disability, I would suggest you request a room near the one and o...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as what you had hoped. Please note that we are happy to accomodate you in an ADA room close to the elevator or on the first floor. It is best to note thes requests when making your reservation so that we can prepare for your arrival.

Our team works hard to provide an enjoyable stay for each guest. If you are ever in the area again, I hope that you will give us another chance to accomodate you.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had prepaid for 4 nights at this hotel and then read some of the negative reviews and we were reconsidering our choice, but with the pre-paid excellent rate we could not cancel, AND WERE GLAD WE STAYED!

Upon check in we were greeted very warmly by Maria and to our surprise she offered us a free upgrade to a King Jacuzzi room. (This certainly negated some of the other reviews that said pre-paid reservations were treated with a less favorable attitude by some of the staff). We thankfully accepted the up grade and found the room to be very clean (as well as the whole property). We enjoyed the 4 days very much and found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

We also were wary of the location after reading some reviews, but again we saw no problems and on the contrary found the location to be most convenient as good restaurants, supermarkets and freeway access were within easy access.

The only minor disappointment was that the included breakfast did not offer as many choices as we have come to expect with Holiday Inn Express. The only fruit offered was bananas and one morning at 8:00 A.M. even these were not available. Also the seemingly ubiquitous waffle or pancake offerings were not available.

We will not hesitate to stay here again (even without an upgrade!) This will be our hotel choice for Similar Valley, California.

Room Tip: Ask the counter person for their best choice as to your preference, near pool, or access ability, or...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry B

I appreciate your great review! Thank you for mentioning Maria, she is a great member of our team and works hard to provide wonderful service for our guests! I am thrilled that you were happy with your stay with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the jacuzzi room. The jacuzzi suites are definitely our guest's first choice!

Please accept my sincere apology that breakfast was not up to par. Unfortunately our pancake machine was not working during your visit but it is now ready to go.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to have you visit us again soon!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel had the only good package for travelers visiting the Reagan Library. My girlfriend and I got a nice room with two queen beds for $124 that included two tickets to the library, which would have cost $21 on their own. The room was very nice, with a giant bathtub. The freeway traffic noise was a little loud, but it was only about a 10-15 minute drive to the library from there. The staff was very helpful and directed us to a nearby shopping center that had good restaurants and a multiplex theater. The free breakfast was better than usual.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our Ronald Reagan package always receives great responses. Thank you for mentioning our helpful staff, we work hard to make sure each guest is satisfied. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our Express Start breakfast! We hope you visit us again soon!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have stayed here on at least a few different occasions for the last couple of years and have experienced no problems. It is one of my favorite places to stay in the area, and I try to book this place whenever I can find a deal on it.

The hotel may not look like much from the outside, and some rooms show the aging of the building more than others (e.g., older bath tubs), but the rooms are clean and comfortable, with free wi-fi and fridge in the room. Interestingly, each of the rooms I've stayed in has had a completely different set-up (e.g., one really basic, one with an extra sink outside of the bathroom, one with a jacuzzi in the room (!)).

Staff are friendly. Hot breakfast (standard Holiday Inn Express fare) is good (I've lost my fascination with their cinnamon rolls, and I don't care for the paper-thin strips of bacon -- but there are bagels, cereals, yogurts, etc.). Wi-fi works well. Beds are pretty comfy. No complaints.

Room Tip: You might ask about the rooms when you check-in; some rooms have extra sinks, at least one has a jac...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate the feedback and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am glad you were able to experience the variety of rooms we offer. Our rooms are quite large and I am happy that you were comfortable. We hope to see you on your next visit to our area!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

As a previous reviewer stated, had we seen the reviews on here before booking we wouldn't have stayed here, so I'm glad we didn't read them. From start to finish, the staff was very pleasant and accomodating. We had been initially assigned a king room, but with two kids, we obviously needed two beds. The front desk manager quickly found a room to accomodate us. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. There was also a microwave and fridge in the room, perfect to use with a Vons Supermarket across the street. The property is older, but appears to be well maintained. Breakfast is very fulfilling and great; our only complaint was there wasn't enough seating for all of the guests so we did have to wait for a table. As far as the safety of the surrounding areas, it appears to be a lower middle-class neighborhood. I didn't find it to be a huge safety risk (from reading prior reviews, you would think it's in the ghetto - it's not). I didn't care for parking in the back of the property at night - it was closer to our room, but it wasn't very well lit in my opinion. I'd recommend parking closer to the front at night, even if it's more of a walk to your room. Other than that, the hotel was well gated with key card access and all rooms face inward toward the courtyard/pool area, so I felt very comfortable and safe in that regard. Also, we booked based on Hotwire's statement that it's only 10 miles from Six Flags. That wasn't true, but it's not the hotel's fault. It's more of a 30-45 minute drive to Six Flags from the hotel, so if you want to be right next to the park, don't stay here. However, we would not hesitate to stay here again, even with the distance. It's a very nice hotel (maybe not 5-star, but if you want the Ritz, don't book a Holiday Inn Express room!) with lots of benefits that far outweigh any negatives we had. The price was great, the staff was friendly, and the room was clean and comfortable. We were definitely satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Tiffany N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff works hard to ensure that each guest has a pleasurable experience. We will soon be adding new furniture and doing some room upgrades that you will be able to enjoy on your next visit!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Simi Valley
Courtyard Ventura Simi Valley
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Simi Valley
Best Western Plus Thousand Oaks Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks

Been to Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley? Share your experiences!