“Super fresh tasting food and great service.”
Review of Ali Baba Cafe

Ali Baba Cafe
Ranked #1 of 271 Restaurants in Simi Valley
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had the Yogurt and Cucumber Dip appetizer served with warm pita bread. Reminded me of the Greek dish called tzatziki but was chunkier and delicious. Next I had the Chicken Shawarma Plate and my husband had the Kebab Combo. The Shawarma comes with a nice fresh salad, not prepackaged lettuce like a lot of restaurants serve these days. I am not usually a big fan of hummus, but the plate contained a large scoop so I tried it. It was fantastic! So smooth and creamy. The meat on the Kebab Combo was tender and seasoned to perfection. This is the first time I have used Tripadvisor to find a local restaurant and I will do it again because it helped us find this hidden gem. If I could change anything, I would work on the lighting. There are a lot of fluorescent ceiling lights plus hanging fixtures making it a little bit too bright.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great food, service, and atmosphere combined with large portions at fair prices. How can you beat that combination? The food is always so fresh and everyone there is friendly.

I have not tried anything that wasn't delicious. The beef and lamb kebabs are fabulously seasoned and are always tender and cooked to perfection. My fave is the Chicken Shawarma plate and without question they have the best hummus around. If you have any room left for desert after your meal, I recommend the Harisa, yum!

This place is truly a hidden gem. Try it, you'll like it!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I love Mediterranean food, so I was really excited to try this place. We stopped in for dinner and started off with some of the best hummus I have ever tasted. The pita bread on the side was perfectly warm. We had the red lentil soup and the chunky vegetable soup. They were obviously house made. I thought the lentil soup was okay. Our friends loved the vegetable soup. I had the large fatoush salad and the dressing was incredibly salty. Afterward, I was so thirsty that I drank 3 glasses of water (then 4 more when I got home). We also tried the chicken breast wrap which was rather wet and salty (it had salad inside). Our friends raved about their chicken dishes and said that the rice was amazing. Perhaps I ordered the wrong thing, but a really salty salad seems odd. Our friends said they will definitely go back. If you are salt sensitive, I would not recommend it.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Moussaka with eggplant and chicken for one of us, moussaka with potatoes and beef for another. Each came with a scoop of rice, fresh veggies steamed and salad all on a side plate. Third person had lamb kebob plate. All of us raved about our choices. Fourth person tried a sandwich, like a hamburger in a roll, she was not as happy. All meals under $15 each at lunch. Just a bright cafe, no alcohol. Short on atmosphere, go for the food. Just down the hill from Reagan Library.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Best shawarma and mediterranean food in this realm. I have tried many different places in the past all over southern and even northern California, but this one is consistently the best! No matter what you order, you will get generous servings with the freshest ingredients. Everything is prepared for you from scratch when you order it. It is all very healthy and tastes wonderous. The service is pleasantly sincere and is very attentive to your presence and needs. The owner is a great man, an active philanthropist, and oversees that everything is top quality. The Turkish coffee is amazingly good and makes expresso become a thing of the past. This place has become a regular stop for me when I want to eat out. :))

2  Thank Massoyer