“Could have been excellent”

Motel 6 Simi Valley
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Simi Valley
Livermore, California
“Could have been excellent”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend, and had booked several weeks ahead. When we arrived, we were asked if we wanted to move to another motel 2 towns over because they were overbooked. We declined because all our activities were with family in Simi Valley, the whole point of booking here. We were told to come back in an hour and they would give us a room. The room turned out to be a smoking room, when we had requested non-smoking, but they hadn't told us that in advance. We found out when we opened the door. The room smelled, although it appeared very clean - but it may have been in the curtains or on the walls and ceiling surfaces, despite its recent updating. It doesn't take much smoke to make a place smell. (As a recent reviewer has noted, the decor was stylish and comfortable, recently updated, location fairly quiet. Even the AC was quiet, and we would have rated our stay as excellent, if they had not chosen to make us expendable.) It isn't like we just stopped in to see if they had a vacancy. What is the point of making reservations in advance if they will not be honored? As a result, we spent as much time as we could out of the room, even driving around the neighborhood and spending time at the local mall, Simi Valley Town Center (very close by) so we didn't have to be exposed to the smoke longer than necessary. We managed the weekend, but it should have been a much nicer stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Veronica K
Cody K, General Manager at Motel 6 Simi Valley, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Veronica, I do apologize for the overbooking we experienced during your stay. We really tried our best to accommodate all of our displaced guests. The staff has been retrained on how to spot errors like this and how to prevent them from happening in the future. I do hope you will give us another chance to earn your business and I thank you for your feedback.

Motel 6 Simi Valley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed here last Thursday night, April 3 after having driven down the coast from Monterey. I was tired but was treated to a professional, efficient and cordial check-in by Cody. I had asked for a quieter room if possible. Cody even consulted the motel map to help find a quieter room for me. I really appreciated that.

After staying at a non-refurbished Motel 6 in Monterey the night before I was pleasantly surprised at the updated room decor - hardwood floors and pretty hip furnishing that worked. The bed was very comfortably firm but soft. The flat screen TV was nicer than in many higher-end hotels.

I'd recommend this Motel 6 to anyone. It's right on the freeway with easy access to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum. I found a great breakfast place, the Egg House, in Simi and got my car washed before touring the library. It's in a safe area too. Great digs for the price!

Thanks again to Cody for a job well done. I stayed at the Millennium Biltmore in downtown Los Angeles the next two nights and had a higher level of service at this Motel 6.

Room Tip: The staff goes out of their way to accommodate special requests as far as finding a quieter room, et...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Cody K, General Manager at Motel 6 Simi Valley, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words! I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again sometime! Cody
San Pedro - CA
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Used to spend 1-2 nights at this motel on a biweekly basis while working in this town every other week.
One time I was in a hurry to catch my flight. Forgot my bag which had my Canon rebel camera, cologne, clothes, shoes, iPhone with charger, and watch. I realized this error once I got to the airport and called the office. The attendant claimed the bag was found on the bed by housekeeping and was dropped in the office and I should be able to pick it up on return. They will safe keep it.
Believe it or not when I went back to pick up my belongings a week later, the whole bag was missing but for a pair of casual shoes.
4 Staff members including a female manager claimed that they all had seen the bag but they don’t understand or know how it disappeared from the office storage.
I lost afew grand’s worth of belongings, which were stolen by staff and management because the bag disappeared from the office after housekeeping had turned it in.

On raising concerns, the manager clearly told me there was nothing he could do about it. If I am offended, I should take it to court. They are not responsible for anything left at the motel, which kinda of odd if it was left in the hands of management. Called the police and got a case number. Even the Simi PD were astonished that this could happen at a hotel.

Very sad in deed, I was about to sue this damp of a place down but after consideration, it wasnt worth the time, legal fees, and headache. I instead decided to be staying at the holiday inn across the street every time I work at Simi valley which provides better services, less noisy, cleaner, affordable, and better customer service.

The place is a mess anyway: Very noisy, dogs backing and running all over the place a majority of the time, poorly kept, Police on premises to pick up lodgers on a day to day basis when I stayed there m leaving you wondering whether it was a hung out for outlaws at times.
Only advantage is that it is cheap; but came to realize that there is a reason why it is cheap – It is a place infested with thieves with or services.

Dont try to save money by staying in this damp because it might end up costing you more in the long run.

Room Tip: Lousy place, cheap but you might be robbed and end up paying more than you were trying to save. You...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Caleb S
Cody K, General Manager at Motel 6 Simi Valley, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
I do apologize for your less than pleasant stay. I am extremely happy to let you know that this property underwent a 100% renovation including management and staff. If you ever decide to give us another chance I would be more than happy to offer you a discount as well as free WIFI. Just ask for Cody!

Travelers are raving about these Simi Valley hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 18, 2011

cigarette burns in the bedding. had to go buy air freshener and candles to get rid of the smell. which didn't even help. horrible. never stay here if you can help it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kthorsted

La Croix-Valmer, France
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Well, I have to say this Motel 6 is not the best I've seen, sure the room was clean, the bed a little too soft, but the worst things about this motel 6 is the people who stay there (or maybe this wasn't a good day); drunks, I had a couple fighting just below me, then almost the whole night someone was listening to loud music or TV... A pure joy...
The freeway is right next to it, that we know when getting a room there, but there is also a bunch of weirdos staying at this motel 6!
Want a better deal? Drive to Newburry Park Motel 6; much better beds & rooms and no weirdos there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Roadamanu

Socal
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I've stayed here maybe 5 or 6 times and never had an issue here. The checkin process is normally quick and they've never messed up a reservation. The rooms are standard Motel 6 rooms - small and clean. The bathrooms are standard Motel 6 bathrooms - small and clean.

Like all Motel 6 rooms there is no shampoo and no lock on the bathroom door. I don't know why they do that. I guess you just have to deal with it.

There is pay wi-fi available, coffee in the foyer from 6am, a small pool, a laundromat, and ample parking. There's a ton of places to eat nearby and a Vons across the street. Considering it's right next to the 118 freeway the rooms are quiet.

Our last stay was for a 300k bicycle ride which we finished around midnight. We had planned on driving home after but decided against it at the last moment so we showed up here and asked for a room. Two smelly people in lycra asking for a room at 1am. No problem. Thanks :-)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank EnduranceCyclist
Colorado
Reviewed May 10, 2010

...the other reviews are a bit old, but they seemed a little negative so I was a bit concerned. Years ago I had stayed at this hotel for a couple of weeks, and I found it very nice for a Motel 6... so I left it up to my memories not old reviews!

The hotel was very clean - the room was nice - spic and span clean - new bedspreads - only complaint about the room was the beds! They were very hard, but we were so tired from hours of driving, we didn't care.

The hotel is adjacent to the 118 Freeway so if you're a light sleeper, this hotel is not for your. Don't complain about the freeway noise if you're posting, because you know when you check in there's a freeway next to you. It didn't bother any of us though...

The Front Desk staff was great - very helpful - even gave us extra 10% off our room rates which was nice... Didn't have any problems at all --- this is a nice Motel 6 and you won't have any problems...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Simi Valley
Courtyard Ventura Simi Valley
Quality Inn & Suites Thousand Oaks
Best Western Plus Thousand Oaks Inn

Been to Motel 6 Simi Valley? Share your experiences!