“Chef Steve has the touch”

Herrington's Sierra Pines Resort Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Spinach Salad the best I've ever had. Try the Mulligatawny Soup if available. Not too heavy on the curry, slight overtones of apple and coconut, and rich. A cupful was perfect. They have their own trout pond on the property and my trout was the freshest of fresh. Serving sizes are large so the second night we split an entree. Wish this restaurant wasn't 500 miles from our home!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Good service, EXCELLENT supper. I had steak, spouse had halibut. Both were excellent. Took dessert to-go back to our room.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our group of 10+ 1 toddler went here for my Uncle's 67th birthday. We loved the setting and the trout pond. My daughter loved throwing pellets to the frenzied trout. The inside of the restaurant is really neat and fun to look around. The menu looks yummy, but is a little pricey. (I expect this though, because we are out in the middle of nowhere) When we made the reservation they told us they couldn't put us all at one table because they couldn't guarantee enough tables to put together. Well to our surprise they had one table when we got there! Yay! Then after we all sat the waitress came to one end of the long table to answer any questions. Well the other end couldn't hear her. They told her so and she said, "Well I'll come down there in a minute" Why not just stand in the middle of the table? Then we told her is was my uncle's birthday. She seemed nice and joked with us a bit. They did accommodate our request to have separate checks, which was really nice. After we ordered things went downhill. 15mins and no bread, and my toddler is getting antsy because she is hungry. We ask for bread and finally get some. Then drinks start coming out and she forgets my sister's drink. When she very politely/timidly asks for it the waitress says, "I'll get to you in a min" At this point a few of us take my daughter outside to feed the trout again. 20 minutes later while wondering there small gift shop we are told the food is coming out. We rush in to find that 4 of us have salads. We sit, we wait. Nothing. Just when I think they forgot the rest of us, 4 more come out. They give the wrong salad to the wrong person, but don't offer to fix it, so my aunt offers to eat the blue cheese salad that she didn't order. Then finally 5 minutes later we get the last two salads. It took 20 mins for all of us to get salads! The waitress would wizz by and not even ask how we were doing and when we would snag her to ask for more bread or water she would seem annoyed. Then the dinners arrived. Order steak is all I can say. They admitted to us that they use Tyson boxed frozen chicken! It was tough as a piece of leather. My aunt said her shrimp must have been boxed too. Their soup must have been canned and it had all the flavor of mud. Non of us ordered trout and I wish I could speak to it. I did happen to walk out right when the man was netting them and killing them on the lawn, so I know they are indeed fresh! Overall The waitress needed lessons on serving and the chef couldn't handle more than 4 people at a time. The waitress was not a newbie and I was shocked at her mistakes. If she had been just a little more friendly and/or apologetic I would have had no problem with her. It took us over an hour before we got our salads! I really wanted to like this place.

Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The trout is excellent. Never had a better trout anywhere. The preparation is simple but just right. So come for the trout.
The setting is very nice and peaceful. The trout pond just outside. Feed the trout ( there is a food dispenser) and see them watch you and jump.
The service is ok. The waitresses have changed over the years but one young lady has been there for seven years. The waitress from North London was friendly but not very engaging. They never seem to invite you to come back.
But come back anyway - for the trout.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

Very good service. Food was great. Don't miss the Prime Rib if you go on a Saturday. Salads are big, fresh and crisp. Warm bread is delicious.

1  Thank Xochimilco12